Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

7 Pages V  « < 5 6 7  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> School Photos & Oakbank Hospital, Possilpark and Saracen
ExPOW
post 10th Jul 2017, 11:04pm
Post #91

Super Resident
Member No.: 13,466
Yes there was a swing park off Auckland Street and the shops on Ellesmere Street did brisk business, Teal's being the Newsagent
and also the sweets dispensers.

Next to the daycare centre was a small red ash football pitch and up from that, a number of allotments began that we called; "The Plots".

Inbetween the shops and the daycare centre was a smaller grey woodbuilt building that was the first community centre catering for youth.

--------------------
Held prisoner in Scotland from 1953. Escaped to England in 1970 then to Homeland Canada in 1980.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 28th Aug 2017, 09:59pm
Post #92

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
QUOTE (Stillroom @ 10th Jul 2017, 05:20pm) *
I was also born in Oakbank, 1946, my mum, and her two sisters and kids had been bombed out and were living in a single end in Lilac Place, the mums slept in chairs and all the kids in the one bed. My dad managed to get us a house in Anderston but we still went back to see the one Aunt that lived there, I remember playing on the swings, I also remember a wee cinema that you went downstairs to, was that the Magnet?

The cinema you refer to was the Magnet. The side door opened out into 'Society Row'. Turn left on exit, would take you to Possil Road. Turn right on exit, and it would take you downhill to Garscube Road, between Lilac Place and Cedar Street on the other side of Garscube Road.Also on the way downhill if you looked to the left, there were backcourts for the tenements in Garscube Road, high above street level. For some reason or other, I used to envy the youngsters who lived there.

On the way downhill, there was a swing park on the right hand side of Society Row. If you kept on going then turned right at Garscube Road you would come to Oakbank Street . At the top of Oakbank Street, the entrance to the swingpark was on the left hand side. Those were the swings which were to the back of Oakbank Hospital. They were sometimes referred to as the American Swings.

I lived in a tenement in Garscube Road, three up. Our back window looked onto the American Swings.
It was great for shouting up to your mother for a piece and jam to be thrown over to you, wrapped in a newspaper.

By the way, we had an unobstructed view of Oakbank Hospital from our house. So I could have been looking over at the hospital, brushing my teeth, getting ready for school at the time you were born.

It is also possible that your parents knew my aunt and uncle. They also lived in Lilac Place, (he was a lamplighter) until they got a house in Guthrie Street, Maryhill.

Regards

Danny Harris
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 5 6 7
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Jan 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.