Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> School Photos & Oakbank Hospital, Possilpark and Saracen
brian432
post 19th Jan 2007, 08:46pm
Post #1

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,340
G'Day Everyone. I'm a brand new member to this forum. I was born and bred in Possilpark before moving to Oz. I thoroughly enjoyed the pics posted by flim and others. I went to Saracen school from 1961 to 1966, then High possil til 1968, then Possilpark til 1970. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get copies of school photos from Saracen Primary and Possilpark Secondary from the sixties as I lost all my class photos when I emigrated in 1973. Also, does anyone remember the grocery van that was near the factors office in Possilpark, I used to walk past it every day going to school from Sunnylaw St. I used to play the accordion and entertain the old ladies at the social club at the top of Hamiltonhill steps (is it still there ?). Does anyone have a photo of Oakbank Hospital (that's where I was born). Any help from any members will be very much appreciated and will make an old Glaswegian vey happy.

--------------------
Marriage is a relationship in which one person is always right, and the other is a husband!!!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Geezabrek
post 19th Jan 2007, 08:54pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,442
Welcome Brian432. Sorry that I can't help with the photo's, but I'm certain someone will pop some photo's or info on for you soon.. cheers.. (PS. hope you are missing all the rotten weather we are getting the noo... rain, gales, trees not where they should be etc)... tongue.gif

--------------------
If u canny fix it wi a hammer - It's an electrical problem!

+Quote Post
GG
post 19th Jan 2007, 08:56pm
Post #3

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Hi brian342, welcome aboard and I hope you enjoy the boards!

Here's a photo of Oakbank Hospital (aka Western District Hospital) from 1966, with the cinema for good measure!

There were different versions of the hospital:

The hospital was founded in 1882 and located in a house in Garnethill. It became apparent that the building was too small to meet the demand for its services and in July 1914 a new, purpose-built children's hospital was opened by King George V and Queen Mary on the site previously occupied by Yorkhill House. The hospital was designed by John James Burnet and the cost of the site, buildings and equipment amounted to £140,000.

In 1965 faults were found in the steel and concrete structure of the building. Experts declared that the hospital was in a state of "potential avalanche" and must be completely evacuated within three months. At the beginning of 1966 the Royal Hospital for Sick Children was relocated to the Western District Hospital (commonly known as Oakbank Hospital) in Possil Road, and work started to rebuild on the Yorkhill site. The new hospital opened in October 1971.

Is this the one you were born in?

GG.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Heather
post 20th Jan 2007, 07:49pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Terrific picture Martin.

It brought back a lot of memories for me as I was also born in Oakbank Hospital as was my son. smile.gif

I lived just down the Garscube Road and I well remember the Astoria when it was a cinema. We used to go up the lane to get to the canal and walk along the canal bank. You could also cross the wee bridge to get to Hamiltonhill.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
maggie wilkie
post 20th Jan 2007, 08:57pm
Post #5

Resident
Member No.: 17
hy brian i was born oakbank too,went to saracen primary,1956 to 1964 ,then possilpark secondary till 1967 ,i remeber the van u speak off too,and i lived hamilton hill ,just around corner from the social center,was in it often enough,
dont know if still there i think its demolished now,
maggie

+Quote Post
buntyq
post 22nd Jan 2007, 10:15pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 15
Heather and Maggie, I walked up that hill many times on my way home from school in Garnethill. This was prior to WWII. My mother would give me a penny for the car but I would save them and buy movie magazines in Woolworths. I understand they were used for ballast in the ships. My school chum lived in some tenements just before you came to the hospital and there was a stable for the coal horses. The Round Toll was a busy spot back when there were few motor cars. I remember the YMCA was in one of the buildings in Hamiltonhill Road. Welcome. You will enjoy the patter on the GG.

+Quote Post
Avril
post 23rd Jan 2007, 08:33am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,509
My brother was born in Oakbank Hospital and went to Saracen Primary School from 1948- 1953 before we moved to Milton. I was very young but remember the factors office and the big grocery van (was it a co-op van?). I also remember walking over the canal bridge and down past Oakbank Hospital, My granny used to go the social club in Hamiltonhill and my great aunty (her sister) used to entertain the pensioners there, she was a great pianist, she could play any tune and we had some rerr sing-songs at my granny's house. My great aunty used to make us laugh when she said 'Ah'm playing down the social club tae entertain the auld folk'.....she was 90 and 15- 20 years older than most of them!!! laugh.gif

Brian have you tried The Mitchel Library for old school photos, or Friends Reunited?

Great photo of Oakbank Hospital and the old Astoria Picture House Martin (I remember seeing Blue Hawaii there! biggrin.gif )

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes/Treachery and Triumph...TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk

+Quote Post
flam
post 28th Jan 2007, 01:24pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
Hi All Yes it was called the Co-op van it was situated across from the factors offices in Bardowie St and Balgair St, it later became the Co-op Building grocery store, later again it became the Hawthorn Pub,which went on fire although the gutted out building is still standing, Hamiltonhill Community Centre was demolished a while back, there used to be Stables at Possil Road at the bottom of Bairds Brae,I believe it was J.M.Barries yard,just yards up from the Magnet Picture House ..Cheers Flim

+Quote Post
possilgirl
post 29th Jan 2007, 04:22pm
Post #9

Visitor
Member No.: 408
Im sitting here laughing I was from possil but mind my mammy taking me in the tram to oakbank hosp . Either it was my sister who had stuck beads up her nose or in her ears. Or me when I swallowed the buckle of my new shoes they kept me overnight for that one lol....In the morning the nurse asked me if I spent a penny or tuppence I told her my mammy never gave me any money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! well I was only about 7 lol Does anybody mind the swings that were behind the hosp I mind playing in there when my mammy was in the hosp with one of her brood lol

+Quote Post
flam
post 30th Jan 2007, 12:41pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Possilgirl ..There used to be American Swings at the back of the Magnet Picture House which was situated in Possil Road, it was in Society Row,which ran from Possil Road to Garscube Road and was opposite the Pawn Shop back entrance ..Cheers Flim

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Avril
post 30th Jan 2007, 12:50pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,509
Flim, where is the location of the photo you posted?

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes/Treachery and Triumph...TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk

+Quote Post
flam
post 30th Jan 2007, 07:13pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Possilgirl The photo i posted is of Bairds Brae which if you look at it closely you will see the old cobble stoned road which would have had Oakbank Hospital on the Left hand Side of the photo and on thee right hand side would have stood the Astoria Picture House, and at the top of the photo is where the Forth and Clyde Canal is,and on reaching that you would have crossed over the wooden Bascule Bridge which would take you on to Ellesmere St, it just goes to show you how much this area has changed Ha!Ha! New Posting of photo of Canal Premises Cheers Flim

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
possilgirl
post 31st Jan 2007, 05:46pm
Post #13

Visitor
Member No.: 408
omg Bairds Brae not heard that name in a long long time I mind when we were wee we used to walk up stoneyhurst st tp the canal and then walk to bairds brae across the bridge and back into possil..we were wanderer's lol thank god my poor wee ma never knew the places we went . Thanks for the photo's flam bringing back lots of memories happy times as weans .We didnt have much but by god we could have fun

+Quote Post
rosie-k
post 31st Jan 2007, 07:15pm
Post #14

Super Resident
Member No.: 1,468
What memories, I walked up the hill next to the Astoria with my Granny when she went for her daily injection to Oakbank hospital for Diabetes. Would anyone have a photograph of the St.Joseph's School in North Woodside Rd, the girls side with the High Playground looking into Braid St. I managed to get a photo of St.Joseph's Church (now knocked down) I would love to have a photo of the old school, I have been all through the Schools in the virtual Mitchell, they had nothing for this or for St.Columbus in Hopehill Rd. I thought I would have a try here, thanks anyway.
unsure.gif

+Quote Post
andypisces
post 1st Feb 2007, 02:59am
Post #15

City Key Holder
Member No.: 21
I have a lot of vivid memories of the round toll. I can remember when i was about 11 getting a poisoned ankle. My mum and my cousin pushed me along the canal from firhill rd to oakbank in a pram. I couldnt walk, even to the tram. There they put a kaolin plaster on it and gave me injections, penicillan i think.Almost passed out
Other memory is of going with my sister and my cousin for our vaccinations. We went to dr flemings at the corner of lyon st and garscube rd. My cousin and i were kidding my sister we would carry her home. Guess who wakened up in my grandmothers house on caithness st after getting carried from the drs. Yep it was me. I could not and still cannot take injections.
I worked with ellis mcdougals lift makers on sawmillfield st. as you can see the round toll was a big part of my life back then....Andy

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Jun 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.