Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

22 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow Residential Schools, Did you go to any?
Catherine
post 17th Oct 2006, 05:15pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
I cannae believe Melody......I nearly put that in my reply about wanting to apologise to Davy for those swines but couldn't find the eloquence you did to explain it properly.
Thanks pet....and yer right we're two wee peas in a pod sometimes sure we are laugh.gif

As for that Hospital Story too.....why did so few get away with so much in those days?
I could poke that Ward Sisters eyes oot the now.

You only have to hope that those responsible for meanness and downright rotten actions towards kids never had their own children.
Imagine that cruelty wrapped up in disguise for some poor unsuspectin weans as their parent.

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Melody
post 17th Oct 2006, 05:22pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
There was a lot of that kind of thing went on in those days Catherine, a lot of parents had too much 'respect' or should I say 'fear' of authority and that's how that cruelty flourished. I detest each and every one of those who ever hurt a child in that way or any other.
You wonder at what went on in their head these people how they slept at night.

+Quote Post
davyab44
post 17th Oct 2006, 05:35pm
Post #18

City Key Holder
Member No.: 429
Thank you both...Catherine and Melody. I believe you suffered more Melody since your peers were directly involved....man's inhumanity to man, eh? I believe we've agreed on the GGBB to keep our specific personal beliefs to ourselves, however Melody, I strongly believe that people like that sister you mention will one day be held accountable for her part in your sorrow.
There are days when one almost feels ashamed to be a part of the human race and while we can't be responsible for the actions of others, it makes me realize more and more that it behooves us to do the best that we as individuals can for the betterment of others. Thank you ladies again for your empathy.
These Boards serve to once again reinforce what is good in human nature and while we sometimes agree to disagree (which is each person's right), we tend to help each other, perhaps more than any of us realize. I believe our common national bond and Pro Patria is largely responsible for this. As Heather so aptly puts it "Alba gu Brath" smile.gif

I'm sure I've gone ever so slightly off topic here but feel better for this conversation. Thank you all for your kind patience...Davy

--------------------
Here's tae us, wha's like us? Damn few an' they're a' deid

+Quote Post
Melody
post 17th Oct 2006, 05:40pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Davy c'mon tae a gie ye a cuddle ah'm greetin noo and so's my daughter here. mellow.gif

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 17th Oct 2006, 05:45pm
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,288
I am as well , in my wee corner in Oklahoma, Lets us all have a BIG group hug ,Ready ((((((( tongue.gif ))))))
Davy, don't worry about being off topic. This site brings out the feelings in us all. Be good or bad!!!!

--------------------

You don't have to live next door, to be a friend !

+Quote Post
Java
post 17th Oct 2006, 05:51pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,211
Ah think it’s a true sayin, whit disny kill ye makes ye stronger…..Melody and Davy, ah’m horrified that somebody can say and do these kinds of things tae a wean, and the worst of it is, ah think they know exactly whit they’re doin….

As ah’ve said before, we wurny exactly in Carnegie’s league growin up, no that ah’m poor moothin it, but ma mammy had a hard time. Ye know the kinda thing, last up worst dressed….Ah remember us getting a big bag of clothes given by a wonderful teacher at school, ah’ve no idea where they came from, but we aw sorted through them tae see whit fitted and so on. Ah went tae school wi the loveliest wee black and red jumper oan, thinking ah wis it and another teacher commented in front of the class, ‘Oh I see you managed to find something to fit you in from the charity bag’….ah wis mortified and never wore anything from the bag again. She wis wanny those that couldny see past the fact that some of us didny have the nicely pressed uniform, ribbons in the hair and so on.

Ah got ma own back by workin hard and forcing her to accept that ah might be poor but ah wisny stupid, although ah mind ah wore wellies in the summer wance an tellt everybody the weather forecast wis fur rain…ah wis six...where wis ah gonny hear the weather forecast?..... laugh.gif

Och sure, if ye don’t laugh ye’ll greet eh?... laugh.gif

--------------------
A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails...

+Quote Post
Melody
post 17th Oct 2006, 05:55pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Well ah hope that teacher rots in hell Java wi the rest o them.

+Quote Post
bloodyscot2
post 17th Oct 2006, 06:08pm
Post #23

Settling In
Member No.: 3,773
hey guys do you mind the parish claes i know i had the nicest wee suit it fit like a glove and i loved it until one of my classmates told the rest of my class from whence it came.i never wore it againthen in later school days two of the older boys were talking in line the teacher told them to be quiet.he told one of them to report to his room for punishment as he was scottish and should know better.he let the other one off as he was (itilan )and didnt know any better.sure woke me uo to the system .

+Quote Post
davyab44
post 17th Oct 2006, 06:12pm
Post #24

City Key Holder
Member No.: 429
Oh My Java!....how in the name o' the wee man could that teacher say somethin' like that tae ye? Especially in front o' the class. It's like ye had a sign roon yer neck sayin' "I'VE NO FEELINGS"
It goes to show the difference there can be between two people; a kind teacher and a b..........! What gives people the right to talk down to children? Is it because they think the child has no defence or is this their way of taking out their frustrations? Whatever the case Java, I'm glad you showed that witch by your hard work that you weren't stupid and from what I've seen of your wit and humour things haven't changed. Good for you and before I go, I agree with Melody.

Whit a rerr big hug Lennox...we a' need wan o' thae noo 'n' again. wink.gif

--------------------
Here's tae us, wha's like us? Damn few an' they're a' deid

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 17th Oct 2006, 06:17pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (javamol @ 17th Oct 2006, 01:08 PM)
Ah think it’s a true sayin, whit disny kill ye makes ye stronger….

.  Ah went tae school wi the loveliest wee black and red jumper oan, thinking ah wis it and another teacher commented in front of the class, ‘Oh I see you managed to find something to fit you in from the charity bag’….ah wis mortified and never wore anything from the bag again. 

Och sure, if ye don’t laugh ye’ll greet eh?...

Java, You have a way of bringing back the memories,
I remember someone gave my mum a "bag" I was so happy that I found a dress and I wore it to school .
The Lassie whose clothes they were was also in my class and in front of everyone she says "my mammy said you were as big as me", I wanted to crawl under the desk, neveer again did I wear anything from "bags"
Your posts almost always make me cry ,sometimes with laughter, sometimes with sadness , but always with JOY!! tongue.gif
PS I wonder how big that lassie is now , me I am 127us pounds.
payback is good.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Java
post 17th Oct 2006, 06:20pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,211
Ye see it jist goes to show ye, cos ah thoat we wur the only wans that goat the bags....there's me thinkin am special again... laugh.gif .......

Lennox, yer spot on...payback is good....even after aw these years... laugh.gif

--------------------
A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails...

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 17th Oct 2006, 06:22pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (javamol @ 17th Oct 2006, 01:37 PM)
Lennox, yer spot on...payback is good....even after aw these years... laugh.gif

Sometimes, after all this time it's better biggrin.gif
Oh that's another thread!!!!!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 20th Oct 2006, 01:29pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Kenny , I looked at the town of Alyth, I think this might be the place that I went to, I remember it being a big white house. I could be wrong. I also went to a place in Largs that one I do remember it was Inverclyde Rec. Center. another "White House"

--------------------

+Quote Post
stirlingmoss
post 21st Oct 2006, 02:22pm
Post #29

Unpacking
Member No.: 2,947
Hi there.
Does anybody know anything about Dunclutha Home in Dunoon? I think it's in Dunoon. I knew two children who were sent there.
It's a Children's Home.

+Quote Post
Luceo
post 21st Oct 2006, 03:22pm
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 18
I have no direct knowledge but there is some information on the following link:

Dunclutha

I hope this is helpful.

Luceo

--------------------
Never give a sword to a man who cannot dance - African Proverb

+Quote Post

22 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Jun 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.