Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

22 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow Residential Schools, Did you go to any?
Lennox
post 16th Oct 2006, 08:49pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,288
While talking on another thread this subject came up and you know how we are, it got us thinking....( Don't say a word)
Anyway I went to a residential school someplace in Perthshire for 6 weeks , it was a big place set in the middle of nowhere , or it seemed like it at the time.
I remember crying the first night and the next few nights after that. but as we got to see new things I liked it, some of the time.
Now as Java said to me they were such a big part of the school system when we were young I am sure I was not the only one who went to one, so come on share your stories, be they good or be they bad.
Oh before I forget someone please tell me the nameof the place that I went to. wub.gif

--------------------

You don't have to live next door, to be a friend !
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Riddrieperson
post 16th Oct 2006, 10:18pm
Post #2

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 799
QUOTE (Lennox @ 16th Oct 2006, 11:06 PM)
While talking on another thread this subject came up and you know how we are, it  got us thinking....( Don't say a word)
Anyway I went to a residential school someplace in Perthshire for 6 weeks , it was a big place set in the middle of nowhere , or it seemed like it at the time.
I remember crying the first night  and the next few nights after that. but as we got to see new things I liked it, some of the time.
Now as Java said to me they were such a big part of the school system when we were young I am sure I was not the only one who went to one, so come on share your stories, be they good or be they bad.
Oh before I forget someone please tell me the nameof the place that I went to. wub.gif

Would that school have been in a village called Alyth by any chance,I don`t remember it`s name ,but I do know my brother-in-law(who is mentally handicapped) used to go there(Alyth) for a fortnight every year.It was for non-handicapped children as well.The building is still there but is now run a hotel by a couple from England.It is now called "The lands of Loyal"

--------------------
Kenny :)

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 16th Oct 2006, 10:22pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Kenny, It is possible that was the name . Later I will have to do a search on it to maybe get a photo, that might help
Thanks for the info biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Riddrieperson
post 16th Oct 2006, 10:40pm
Post #4

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 799

Lennox this is the centre of Alyth.The road to the right of Alyth Burn takes you up to where the place was situated,still there of course but in the guise of a hotel. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Kenny :)

+Quote Post
Java
post 17th Oct 2006, 09:49am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,211
Can't believe this topic hasn't been covered before'

'Resi' holds so many memories for me, good and bad. My mum was a single parent to seven of us, so ah think we went tae give her a break more than anything else. The oldest four went, me being the youngest. Ah'm pretty sure it wis called Fornethy, but whitever ye do, don't google it cos it comes up wi a swingers club'.second thoughts, google if ye want'.

Ah wis pretty traumatised by the fact that only the oldest in the family goat the post and parcels. We'd aw be sittin there in the assembly thing in the morning and they'd call oot the names for those that hud post'..ah thoat ma mammy hud forgotten aw aboot me'didny matter that ma sister tellt me it wis fur everybody'.ah wanted ma ain parcel, ye know'.

It musta been comin oota winter when we were there, cos ah remember hivin tae trudge through the snaw tae see some new born lambs' felt like ah'd traipsed miles....ah wis that cauld ah couldnya cared less aboot the lambs by the time we goat ther'.

Saturday night wis movies and sing song night'.ah couldny tell ye whit movies ah saw, but ah remember the songs'.(apparently they traumatised me annaw, but that's oan anither thread..) We'd aw sit oan the flair, legs crossed, the aulder wans brung the milk an a wee biscuit roon, we'd belt oot The Blackboard of My Heart (don't know if that's whit it's called but that's whit ah remember it as), a wan aboot leaving old Texas now, Sad Movies, (see whit ah mean aboot trauma'..), oh and Yellow Daffodilly in Your Golden Gown'

Ah kin still be transported right back there by certain smells'.powdered toothpaste is wan fur some reason'..

Ah canny remember whether it wis at proper school or resi, but ah remember somedy askin me whit ma daddy did'..ah hudny a clue since ah hudny seen him fur years, but ah didny want tae say that, so fur some reason ah tellt them he wis a clown''.it musta goat right roon the school, cos somehow it goat back tae ma mammy ...she says ah wis right enough'' laugh.gif

--------------------
A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails...

+Quote Post
Elkay
post 17th Oct 2006, 10:58am
Post #6

Visitor
Member No.: 3,889
javamol

Ha Ha Ha.....Bump.................. thats me laughing my head off laugh.gif
I never went to boarding school, thats what my parents threatened us with if we were naughty.

Funny thing about the smells tho isnt it. I had a bad experience with a school camp (or should I say boot camp) when I was about 11 and the smell of cheap Margarine takes me right back there. To this day I cant eat Margarine. sad.gif

+Quote Post
keelie gal
post 17th Oct 2006, 11:43am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,519
haha java thats a good wan telling the other weans yer da was a clown and yer ma agreeing with you laugh.gif

--------------------
ITS NICE TO BE NICE

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 17th Oct 2006, 01:41pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Kenny, thanks for the photo, I am not sure that is the place but I will be looking into that .
Java I forgot about getting the post, now all the memories will come flooding back ohmy.gif , not sure how I feel about that! I remember that when it was time to got we (kids) had to go to Bath St and get on a bus to get to the school, and when you came back you went back to Bath St. my granda was late and Ithought Iwas going to have to go back to the school I was terrified wub.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Melody
post 17th Oct 2006, 02:31pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Java you have a brilliant talent for telling a sad yet funny story at the same time. The thought of you sitting crossed legged waiting on yer letter or parcel brought a big lump to my throat, jist like a wean. An who the hell was dreamin' up they particular songs fur weans tae sing? Was yer teachers jilted at the alter or something or were they just crazies? laugh.gif Imagine saying yer Daddy worked as a clown, bet they teachers thought ye were an exotic gypsy travelling person. Magic story. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Luceo
post 17th Oct 2006, 02:49pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 18
Javamol,

Your tale of claiming your father worked as a clown had me laughing out loud - thanks!

Luceo

--------------------
Never give a sword to a man who cannot dance - African Proverb

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 17th Oct 2006, 02:58pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
Me too luceo......I've just read this laugh.gif

To have experienced so much 'trauma' Java I have to agree with all the others here and laugh ........at your ability to tell sadness with such great humour, and with a bit of irony thrown in too.

Your mum sounds lovely too, no wonder you're all close.

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...

+Quote Post
davyab44
post 17th Oct 2006, 03:12pm
Post #12

City Key Holder
Member No.: 429
Hi Java...I have to agree with Melody...you have a talent for telling a story of pathos and mixing in a good dollop of humour. I can relate to the situation you describe since I spent a while in a residential school. Having been orphaned at the age of twelve, I ended up in a "boys' home" run by Glasgow Corporation. This was in 1958 and I was sent to Auldhouse on Thornliebank Road in Pollockshaws. I was given a bed for a couple of weeks as the "owner" of the bed was on holiday. When he returned I was shunted off to a Residential School called Nerston at East Kilbride. Not a place I would recommend to man nor beast. We wern't treated badly as such but there was a condescending attitude about the place. One particular item I recall was when we played in the old air-raid shelter. It had rained and the floor was muddy so my long pants got a bit dirty. Well all hell broke loose over this and in front of everyone at the evening meal, the news broke that I wasn't getting any pudding because I had muddied my trousers. There was a sharp intake of collective breath from the five year-olds and up as I sat there totally embarrased and wondering how I was going to get through the meal with all these little eyes staring at this wrongdoer. This is one example of how we were made to feel, in addition to a lot of favouritism. Thankfully, a bed came available in due course at the orphanage and I was thankfully returned to a much more normal way of life.

P.S. You obviously get your wit and humour from your Mammy, Java....Aye he was a clown awright.....jist priceless laugh.gif

--------------------
Here's tae us, wha's like us? Damn few an' they're a' deid

+Quote Post
jaybee
post 17th Oct 2006, 03:36pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,800
Java, I have to wonder, perhaps the reason you said that your father was a clown is that you personally love to entertain people and make them laugh. You sure have a talent for that. Jaybee

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 17th Oct 2006, 04:06pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
Davy that story breaks my heart.
Forgive my language....rotten power tripping Bas....s!

It's almost as if the Gods themselves are paying you back the best way they can with Shari coming into your life when you least expected it. All the best pet.

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...

+Quote Post
Melody
post 17th Oct 2006, 05:03pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Do you know Davy I believe that there is no greater crime than to humiliate a child like that. Such cruelty, such ignorance. Can I just in my simple way apologize for that horrible human being who treated you in such an inhumane way.

My worst experience of that sort of treatment actually happened whilst I spent almost a year in hospital at the age of seven. In those days they only allowed visitors for one hour on a Sunday. For one reason or another my beloved grandparents arrived on a Wednesday, I think they were just very anxious about my condition and wished to see me urgently. They were allowed about fifteen minutes with me and when they had to go I was very upset and crying. Do you know that the ward sister invited the other children to sit round in a circle and laugh and call me a baby. I've never forgotten that cruelty and may God forgive me I hope these people got what was coming to them.

A child never forgets such cruelty.

Sorry for that wee bit of self indulgence it justs hit a nerve.

Catherine you beat me to it, we are never far away from each other in these matters are we? smile.gif

+Quote Post

22 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Sep 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.