Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

30 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow Department Stores, What did I miss?
lindamac
post 16th May 2007, 02:22pm
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
aye Penny bought claes frae etams & wallis annawe doll just the odd wee dress or tops as they were dearer shops. jings how dae ye remember thum awe so easy doll? wub.gif here noo ave just remembered Chealseagirl hahaha few wee tops frae there noo & then laugh.gif

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Duke of Drum...
post 27th Apr 2008, 11:22am
Post #32

Settling In
Member No.: 5,182
QUOTE (Allan D.Sim @ 1st Mar 2006, 07:11 PM) *
Pettigrew & Stephens, Copland and Lye, Muirheads, Frasers, and Lewis's. Yes I may have missed one or two, but only Frasers and to a lesser extent, Lewis's as Debenhams still operate. I left Townhead for the dizzy heights of Bridgeton in 1967. We lived about 5 minutes walk from all those great shopping streets. Relying on all the memories of the people here, what did I miss? I do not have any real recollections of the large stores of Sauchiehall Street. So people what were the grand Glasgow department stores really like? I was too young when they disappeared. Would anyone care to share the memories of flowing staircases and floors offering the wherewithal of the world? I will say this.... Muirheads closed and now Boots the Chemist is at 200 Sauchiehall Street. Let the memories roll.......

+Quote Post
The Duke of Drum...
post 27th Apr 2008, 11:29am
Post #33

Settling In
Member No.: 5,182
QUOTE (Allan D.Sim @ 1st Mar 2006, 07:11 PM) *
Pettigrew & Stephens, Copland and Lye, Muirheads, Frasers, and Lewis's. Yes I may have missed one or two, but only Frasers and to a lesser extent, Lewis's as Debenhams still operate. I left Townhead for the dizzy heights of Bridgeton in 1967. We lived about 5 minutes walk from all those great shopping streets. Relying on all the memories of the people here, what did I miss? I do not have any real recollections of the large stores of Sauchiehall Street. So people what were the grand Glasgow department stores really like? I was too young when they disappeared. Would anyone care to share the memories of flowing staircases and floors offering the wherewithal of the world? I will say this.... Muirheads closed and now Boots the Chemist is at 200 Sauchiehall Street. Let the memories roll.......

check out my flickr account for old Glasgow Memories

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertpool/sets/

Click on 'Details', then click on any image. You can select 'all sizes' to enlarge the image

These include photographs of:

Old Ads: http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertpool/se...57603973625045/

Business Ephemera: http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertpool/se...57603968472021/

Proof Cards, Labels: http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertpool/se...57604037233520/

Transport: http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertpool/se...57604062233615/

Coins, Tokens, Tins, Pots, Tankards,Modals, Medals, Badges and Buttons: http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertpool/se...57603848093591/

+Quote Post
betty2
post 29th Apr 2008, 02:21am
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 56
Graftons in argyle st went on fire in sometime in the 50,s and many shopgirls lost their lives in this tragic inferno

Lawsons at the tollbooth at glasgow x got my wedding dress there and also "my going away outfit" thats what we called the suit you changed into at the reception after all photo,s were taken and the meal served.

Watt Bros still going tho not the shop it once was but still a busy one.

--------------------
still here in glesca

+Quote Post
Elma
post 29th Apr 2008, 04:55pm
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
Glad you mentioned Watt Bros. Betty, that's where I got my wedding dress. My aunt was the manager of the millinery department in the Co-op in Hawick and she 'did' my veil. My going away suit was navy blue but I can't remember where I got it tongue.gif My blouse was from M & S and my hat, everyone had a hat ohmy.gif was made of yellow feathers. I probably bought it in C & A, there were so many hats in there!

Oooops, gone off topic again. After I was married my mum worked in the lingerie department of Pettigrews.................

+Quote Post
stratson
post 29th Apr 2008, 07:03pm
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
Gosh the memories flood back, my wedding dress and veil were hired from JANE JOVE in Bath St. It was a big billowing veil and pearl head-dress, the gown had a sweetheart necklne. layers of tulle covered the ivory satin dress, it was as white as the driven snow.
My going away suit was donkey brown, pink hat and blouse., am getting carried away here. Had forgotten all about it.Forgotten where it was bought. ohmy.gif

Remember very well Grafton's fire, such a tragedy.

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
Cumbiegirl
post 2nd May 2008, 04:26pm
Post #37

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,649
QUOTE (Isobel @ 9th Mar 2006, 06:50 PM) *
I worked in Marks on Arglye street in the sixties. I used to shop for anything special in a little dress store right opposite Marks. Can anyone remember the name. My friend's mother worked in there ,and she used to give us girls a little discount.

+Quote Post
*Robert Pool*
post 4th May 2008, 10:39pm
Post #38

I've just uploaded a 1915 Pettigrew & Stephens Ltd, receipt

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2372/246350...71ab0d348_b.jpg

+Quote Post
maryhillgal
post 5th May 2008, 01:15am
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,960
I remember most of the shops you are all talking about. What a variety we had. I loved Graftons and C & A's for skirts, dresses and coats etc., but always preferred M & S for trousers as they had longer leg lengths. Sauchiehall Street was a great shopping area. My pal worked in Daly's when she left school and the wages were awful but you were supposed to feel privileged to work there. My Mum worked part-time in the Millinery Department in Dallas's at the Cowcaddens and just loved her job there. You could cut through Stow Street to get to Marks back entrance in Renfrew Street.

I went on a bus trip to Ostend a few years ago with two pals and you should have seen us when we spotted a C & A. You couldn't see us for dust and I got a beautiful hooded coat [dark beige with brown fur trim], trousers and a beautiful jumper for my wee grand-daughter. They were quite inexpensive and the coat was admired by everyone. I fair miss C & A's here.

+Quote Post
Macbeast
post 5th May 2008, 05:36am
Post #40

Super Resident
Member No.: 2,656
I seem to remember in the 1950s Lewis's used to have a pet shop - maybe on the 3rd Floor. And there was somewhere had those scary pneumatic tubes for sending money up to the cash ? - came back with the change and a receipt with a great hiss and thump smile.gif

Not a department store as such, but I remember my grandfather taking his hat to a hatters near St George's Cross to have the shine steamed off on a block.

My favourite was Clydesdales, just across the river from St Enoch's, where they sold ex-military radio surplus as well as new radios and TVs

+Quote Post
Elma
post 5th May 2008, 06:49am
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
I think Hoeys had these tubes where your money whooshed away and came back with your change, and I'm pretty sure Birss' in Partick had them as well.

+Quote Post
Melody
post 5th May 2008, 11:14am
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Those tubes things were brilliant, ah mind watching them fascinated when ah was a wee lassie, which wisnae yesterday ye understand. laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 5th May 2008, 06:50pm
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
Hey Robert check out the prices.Corset five shillings eleven pence.

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 5th May 2008, 07:55pm
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
I cant remember all of the shops that you guys speak about , seems I only frequented certain ones and they were some of the boutiques, one really nice shop stands out but cant remember the name , I used to buy my good shoes in this store I know its still there I saw it last year, begins with a "D".

+Quote Post
maryhillgal
post 5th May 2008, 07:57pm
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,960
Was it Dolcis G/L?

+Quote Post

30 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Jun 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.