Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

61 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Any One From Maryhill?
Macbeast
post 22nd May 2006, 05:02pm
Post #16

Super Resident
Member No.: 2,656
My uncle, Willie Cooper (now dead), lived in Clouston Street, which I suppose is Hillhead but then moved to Cumlodden Drive and latterly to Caldercuilt Road where my mother lived a few doors away for a few years too.

I seem to remember a minister in Cumlodden Drive called Thomas Revel, who had only one arm but used to take the family on holiday in a motor-cycle with sidecar.

I do remember Maryhill Barracks with the full-length mirror outside the guardhouse so the HLI soldiers could check their appearance before going out.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
big al
post 22nd May 2006, 09:25pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 42
Mr Revel was the minister at Gairbraid Church for some time - he rode a motor bike with the one arm - great character

--------------------
That'll be the day........

+Quote Post
Thomas
post 22nd May 2006, 09:26pm
Post #18

City Key Holder
Member No.: 384
Clouston Street has a G20 postcode and it comes under North Kelvinside.

I was born in the 'Barracks' but it was of course the Wyndford Estate by the time that I was born there.

The old Guard Room is now offices for the CUBE Housing Association. It's hard to believe how the place has changed in the 20 years that I have been away from it. I still smile to myself when I drive through it from time to time and see the 'Saltire Award' the Wyndford received for its innovative design. Guess that was progress then....

--------------------
Exaltabo Te Domine

I will magnify thee O God

+Quote Post
George Muir
post 22nd May 2006, 10:43pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 53
Hi Macbeast,
Here is the Reverend T. Revel after tying the knot for Jane and I at the Church of Scotland in Edwin Street, off Paisley Rd. West, 5th April, 1960.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Macbeast
post 23rd May 2006, 05:46am
Post #20

Super Resident
Member No.: 2,656
Small world, eh ? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cameron
post 21st Jun 2006, 05:03pm
Post #21

Super Resident
Member No.: 27
Hi George i see that you got married on the 5 of April 1960 i got married on the 4 of April 1960 i guess the both of us were trying to beat the tax guys , if i remember right if you got married before April the 6th you saved on your taxes

+Quote Post
George Muir
post 21st Jun 2006, 05:29pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 53
Right on Cameron, here's tae us, and here's me thinking a was the only fly wan biggrin.gif April 5, 1960 fell on a Tuesday. I only posted the above picture as the Rev. Revel was mentioned earlier in this thread, but yours is the only feedback I have seen. By the way I always lived on the south side, only time I was in Maryhill was to visit a friend in the HLI hospital - he had bad feet caused by the tackety boots. Cheers!
George.

+Quote Post
BallindallochNZ
post 21st Jun 2006, 11:05pm
Post #23

Special Visitor
Member No.: 465
Maryhill residents and ex-residents may be interested in this.

Last year, on a return visit to Glasgow, I bought a book that had been highly recommended to me. It was "Night Song of the Last Tram" by Robert Douglas. What I didn't know until I bought the book was that Robert grew up very close to where I lived with my family. He lived at No.14 Doncaster Street and I was at No.43 Hinshaw Street, round the corner. We went to the same schools (Springbank Primary and North Kelvinside Sec.) but we didn't know each other then, probably because of the few years difference in our ages.

This is a heartwarming story of Robert's upbringing by his mother mostly, living in a single-end. It is funny but sad in places and it brought back so many memories of Cocozza's cafe, Bundoni's fish and chip shop, the Blythswood picture house, Kelvingrove Park and so much more. Several of my friends and family have read the book now and enjoyed it too. I am sure there would be thousands of children who would have had a similar upbringing as Robert and his friends. The difference is Robert was able to put it into words and write a wonderful book.

To anyone who grew up in the tenements in this area, you will just love the book, but for all those who lived in tenements anywhere in Glasgow, you will also thoroughly enjoy it. Robert's second book is about due for release and takes over where the first one finished, from when he was aged 16. I think the title is "Somewhere to lay my Head". I am looking forward to it.

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 22nd Jun 2006, 12:10am
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
George what a lovely photo, Jane was a beautiful bride, an yer awfy handsome therr yersel biggrin.gif

Ahv heard of that book Ballindalloch, must ask wee mags if she's read it cos ah no she'd love it too.

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...

+Quote Post
jock
post 22nd Jun 2006, 06:12am
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 32
Catherine tell wee mags HI!. Ahll be very surprised if she husnae already read the book and knows all the places mentioned in Ballindalloch's post. I did when I read the book..............You should try readin it....He disnae use any big wurds laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 22nd Jun 2006, 02:49pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Jist read this ya bandit Jock.....you've had it noo!! laugh.gif

supercallifragulousitgetsmealitocious.....beat that wan! {bet ahv goat it wrang} guffawguffawguffaw

--------------------

+Quote Post
aaron king
post 22nd Jun 2006, 03:47pm
Post #27

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,776
wit a boot Supercallygoballistic....aw a furget the rest mellow.gif

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 22nd Jun 2006, 04:12pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Oh aaron, a fellow comrade, you go buy it an we'll read it the gither awright.....ah'll wait here, hurry up an oan ye go afore the shoap shuts....better pick up a pint a milk annaw, might as well laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
aaron king
post 22nd Jun 2006, 04:16pm
Post #29

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,776
Niet Comrade rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 22nd Jun 2006, 04:47pm
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
S'only the efternoon here aaron....but niet yersel pal laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

61 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Sep 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.