Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Craig Residential School, Looking for information
*Guest*
post 6th Jul 2009, 07:45pm
Post #31

I was there in 1967, all I can remeber was boys running away and the police bringing them back! Also queing up for the tuck shop and waiting for a parcel and postal order to arrive. We used to get bannana milk and a buttered roll at night. I also remember missing the european cup final as had to go to mass with the nuns!!!!!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
**tony**
post 24th Sep 2009, 01:58pm
Post #32

QUOTE (Kendee @ 22nd Jan 2008, 11:41pm) *
Hi , I remeber craig Resi school reasonably well. It was in Kilmarnock and i too remember sitting watching films and waiting for the buttered rolls to come from the kitchen . I also recall the 2 male dorm were called "THE ASH & THE OAK ( cant remeber what the girls was called ( not that interested in females at that time ,,,,,,
If anyone else was there in the sisties get in touch ...you never know , we may have met !!!

+Quote Post
**tony**
post 24th Sep 2009, 02:23pm
Post #33

hi folks! i was in old craig school in the mid 60s for about 6 weeks, i think i was about six or seven at the time. I went during the winter term and we had to go to school (no fun). I remember getting the belt in the middle of the night because someone kept putting the dorm light on, and when i got up to put it off the teacher caught me. Some of the boys used to wet the bed so they would get sent home. Other boys ran away and there were horrible rumours going around that the foxes would eat you if you tried to run away. (i was petrified). Does anyone remember a song we used to sing...i know a rubbish dump far far away...? I absolutely hated the place an have nothing good to say about it. 6 weeks felt like a lifetime and i couldnt wait to get home. The best day was when i left the 'dump' and returned to glasgow and i remember getting picked up somewhere in the town before going home to pollok on the 50 bus from midland street. all the best troops, tony leonard

+Quote Post
*ken docherty*
post 26th Sep 2009, 05:22am
Post #34

Ah yes!!! I still remember Graig, I was there About late 50s I remember a sports day when all the parents came, and also a game of football arranged by one of the teachers with a local side who turned out to be in there early teens and thrashed us. I could play a wee bit then and got a goal and I was nicknamed "Stanley" after that ( after Stanley Mathews) I also remember 2 big coloured teachers who took us for gym I think they were from GUANA or summat !
If anyone has any pic new or old ....Gonnea send me thum ??? maybe I might have been there with you, my dorm was the ASH.
Nice to read from you all and stirring memories.

email... nedderton@hotmail.com

Ta all
Ken

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 18th Oct 2009, 07:35pm
Post #35

hi i was there in the 70 it was the best time i had i rember the swing park and the swings the climbing frames and a wee hide away that i would sit in with my big brother then we met a lad called robert he was a fantastic singer we had to sing hymis in the morrning but i would not sing and listen to him and no me not gay lol we all just hit it off for the start .i went there 3 or 4 time and he was always there .At craige i made a very good mate that a will never forget

+Quote Post
*george restrick*
post 6th Jan 2010, 02:07pm
Post #36

QUOTE (Guest @ 18th Oct 2009, 07:33pm) *
hi i was there in the 70 it was the best time i had i rember the swing park and the swings the climbing frames and a wee hide away that i would sit in with my big brother then we met a lad called robert he was a fantastic singer we had to sing hymis in the morrning but i would not sing and listen to him and no me not gay lol we all just hit it off for the start .i went there 3 or 4 time and he was always there .At craige i made a very good mate that a will never forget

+Quote Post
*angela grant*
post 16th Jan 2010, 08:48pm
Post #37

QUOTE (Guest jackie * @ 13th Jun 2007, 08:19pm) *
hi jackie here went to craigie in the 70s the address was craig residential school crossbank, kilmarnock, east ayrshire,kaz obp, just looking that up myself,

+Quote Post
**Richard**
post 17th May 2010, 05:23pm
Post #38

Hi There,
I went to Craig Residential School in I think 1976. I remember a teacher who had a gold mark 1 capri and getting a digestive and milk before bed. I also remember a boy with crew cut called Kojak who got squashed at the swing park when the remains of an old roundabout fell on him, I don't think he was hurt bad. We used to play at ninjas of The Water Margin in the woods. I also learned to swim in Kilmarnock swimming baths. Does anyone remember feeding the chickens or the mini tractor ? I have happy and sad memories of Craig, maybe I will return some day to reminisce.
Bye for now
Richard

+Quote Post
*theted*
post 23rd May 2010, 02:13pm
Post #39

hi,i was in seafield residential school way back in the 60s..ive always wondered why i was sent there..of what i can remember it was not a happy place for me...

+Quote Post
Taylor9
post 23rd May 2010, 07:04pm
Post #40

Visitor
Member No.: 6,735
Just came across,this post,dont mind if i ask ,was it Seafield School Ardrossan,you went to. way back in the 60ts.

+Quote Post
*philipl mcdevitt*
post 23rd May 2010, 08:43pm
Post #41

QUOTE (*Richard* @ 17th May 2010, 06:26pm) *
Hi There,
I went to Craig Residential School in I think 1976. I remember a teacher who had a gold mark 1 capri and getting a digestive and milk before bed. I also remember a boy with crew cut called Kojak who got squashed at the swing park when the remains of an old roundabout fell on him, I don't think he was hurt bad. We used to play at ninjas of The Water Margin in the woods. I also learned to swim in Kilmarnock swimming baths. Does anyone remember feeding the chickens or the mini tractor ? I have happy and sad memories of Craig, maybe I will return some day to reminisce.
Bye for now
Richard

hello richard.
i have to tell you that my mum was the head teacher at craig at the time you speak of.(mrs mcdevitt) The car you refer to was owned by Anne Marie Murphy who was a teacher there at that time along with Maimie Curran and Lesle Gemmell. I was 15 years old then and from time to time would go down to Craig to visit, and I have some vague memories of this period. I wish I could tell you more!
regards, Phil.

+Quote Post
*eugenecawley@btint*
post 23rd Aug 2010, 11:39pm
Post #42

i was at craig residential school twice in the early 60,s once i was in the (oak) and once in the(ash) with my brother p.j. i remember it well,the classrooms the conservatory,where you got tuck twice a week, tv in the dining hall, digestive biscuits and milk at supper time, taking youre laundry down ,wearing sannies in the house,great swings ,fitba pitch ,and twice a ,week movies on the pull down screen,i seen the dambusters ,and some mickey rooney films,i also remember letters to and from home,getting yer postal order for tuck money,and getting a penny for the plate on a sunday morning and the bus taking us to mass in kilmarnock,as we were poor gajjies fae the gorbals it was great to have a bed to yourself, regular good grub, 6 weeks of fun ,i remember mms gallagher the headmistress,miss bradley, and everybody,s favourite mrs curran,,.happy days.im 55 now and still remember.... eugene cawley.

+Quote Post
*PAUL MC GREGOR*
post 22nd Sep 2010, 08:56pm
Post #43

QUOTE (*tony* @ 24th Sep 2009, 03:25pm) *
hi folks! i was in old craig school in the mid 60s for about 6 weeks, i think i was about six or seven at the time. I went during the winter term and we had to go to school (no fun). I remember getting the belt in the middle of the night because someone kept putting the dorm light on, and when i got up to put it off the teacher caught me. Some of the boys used to wet the bed so they would get sent home. Other boys ran away and there were horrible rumours going around that the foxes would eat you if you tried to run away. (i was petrified). Does anyone remember a song we used to sing...i know a rubbish dump far far away...? I absolutely hated the place an have nothing good to say about it. 6 weeks felt like a lifetime and i couldnt wait to get home. The best day was when i left the 'dump' and returned to glasgow and i remember getting picked up somewhere in the town before going home to pollok on the 50 bus from midland street. all the best troops, tony leonard

+Quote Post
*Harty*
post 27th Sep 2010, 09:59am
Post #44

QUOTE (fransav @ 4th Feb 2006, 09:43pm) *
anyone please tell me if you could where craig residential school was????thanks

Dundonald Tarbolton Rd near kilmarnock. Its still there and so is the orchardits noe been turned into flats.

+Quote Post
*michael robertson*
post 31st Oct 2010, 07:55pm
Post #45

i remember watching the film,(al jolson story),fantastic facilities,remember the tuck shop at the back of the main house,and my parents sending me money when i was short,i also remember being a table leader,playing football against the local lads,and singing the residential song,would love to see the house again,if anyone has any pics would appreciate seeing them.e :rolleyes:a :early 70s.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th Dec 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.