Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Craig Residential School, Looking for information
*eamon d*
post 26th Jan 2008, 07:25pm
Post #16

I went to craig residential school - its just outside kilmarnock between gateside and crosshouse up a wee back road by the cochrane inn. we often walked to crosshouse with the teacher to get sweets and went to the picuture house in kilmarnock on a sat night. I slept in the oak dorm. I was there for 3 years from 9 till 11 years old. That was in 1953. I can remeber John Dauwson and his brother and Jim Caine. we were good mates and i enjoyed my time there.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*MICK MCGREGOR*
post 28th Jan 2008, 03:35pm
Post #17

craig residential school was in dundonald near kilmarnock. i was there 7 times, for a month at a time from 5 to 12 years old. great memories.

+Quote Post
pau1
post 29th May 2008, 06:10pm
Post #18

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,736
used to go to st john ogilvie primary in wellhouse .every year me and my brothers would get sent to a residential school in kilmarnock called the Craig.i think it was for "poor"families of the east end of glasgow. does any one else remember this, or maybe you went.
cant really remember much about it exept it was run by nuns, we used to go to classes as normal and play on the grounds all weekend.
if anyone knows anything about this place please reply. cheers..

+Quote Post
Java
post 29th May 2008, 06:35pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,211
Hiya biggrin.gif

The subject of residential schools has come up a few times, following are links to the original posts..

Residential Schools

This post has been edited by GG: 29th May 2008, 07:12pm
Reason for edit: Thanks Java, I've merged this with the other topic.

--------------------
A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails...

+Quote Post
pau1
post 31st May 2008, 06:21pm
Post #20

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,736
QUOTE (PAU1888 @ 29th May 2008, 07:17 PM) *
used to go to st john ogilvie primary in wellhouse .every year me and my brothers would get sent to a residential school in kilmarnock called the Craig.i think it was for "poor"families of the east end of glasgow. does any one else remember this, or maybe you went.
cant really remember much about it exept it was run by nuns, we used to go to classes as normal and play on the grounds all weekend.
if anyone knows anything about this place please reply. cheers..

found it ...
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/mpl?moduleur...mp;t=h&z=18

+Quote Post
*Guest John R **
post 6th Jul 2008, 04:47pm
Post #21

Hi I was just thinking about Craig residential School, if i rememebr it was in Kilmarnock, I went there in the early seventies for 6 weeks, dont know why I went or was sent, i do know my mum was having a baby atthe time (no. 10) so it was probably to give her a break :-) The thing that sticks with me was going to church on sunday and they gave us little suits to wear - pretty kool - but we didn't get to keep them - shame eh smile.gif

JR

+Quote Post
*Guest George **
post 16th Aug 2008, 11:44pm
Post #22

Hi, Craig residential school was near Kilmarnock. I went there for a month in 1973 - It was murder!

+Quote Post
*Guest chrismac **
post 14th Sep 2008, 07:46pm
Post #23

craig was somewhere in ayrshire, it was a pure hellhole i hated the life out of it, it was like a bloody home for poor kids, so if any teachers read this you were all ********!

+Quote Post
*Guest Catherine **
post 19th Sep 2008, 02:14pm
Post #24

I went to Craig "Ressie" about 3 times when i was younger. My friend in school used to get sent, i i went and applied to go myself much to my Mum's outrage but she let me go and i loved it!! We were picked up from Buchanan Street Bus Station and driven down to Kilmarnock. I have so many fond memories of that place. I was actually in the last group of girls to attend the school that must have been around 1985. I have been trying to get information on it but there doesn;t seem to be too much on the web. It was such a wonderful big Tudor Mansion, i wonder what they use ot for now, anyone know?????

Catherine

+Quote Post
*Guest fransav **
post 18th Oct 2008, 02:21pm
Post #25

yes i went back last month the big house is still standig but has been turned into flats

+Quote Post
fransav
post 19th Oct 2008, 07:19pm
Post #26

Unpacking
Member No.: 2,777
went to kilmarnock last month just out for a drive with the wife went to crossbank and the school is still their but has been made into flats still looks the same still glad i found it as i have been looking for years

+Quote Post
*Guest Terri **
post 2nd Jan 2009, 03:29am
Post #27

Hi folks.

I've been looking for some informaion on Craig Residential School as I went there a few times in the early 80's. I have only fond memories of it and so I came across this discussion and thought I should add to it.

Craig is now an appartment complex housing 11 appartments and I think 4 houses on its lands. It is now Craig House, Crosshouse, Kilmarnock.

I cannot add pics for some reason but there are a few lovely exterior shots on www.marchstonehomes.com the developing company's website.

+Quote Post
Olden_Pleh
post 29th Mar 2009, 12:46pm
Post #28

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,723
My 3 brothers & I went to Craig twice in the latter part of the 60's. It was a pretty good time ... we used to go into the corn field and all the other 'out of bounds' areas. I first learnt how to stand up on the swings there which was monumental!

We used to go to church on Sunday's and on the way back someone would always say, "First to see Craig!"

Mrs Kerr cut everyone's hair as soon as they arrived. We used to line up in the Conservatorium and a teacher would announce how much pocket money our parents had sent us and I was always stunned at the amount for me as it seemed way too much ... There was a stream for swimming too but it was always a bit too cold.

I remember peering into the classrooms thinking how lucky we didn't have to do schoolwork. I also remember there was a siren that used to go off every now and again and it used to terrify me!

I got hit just above the eye by one of the swings too, and I had to go and get stitches ... there was blood all down my face and as I was led back to the main building I couldn't see but I could hear the sound of gravel beneath my feet.

I was very lucky to return there in the late 1980's ... the place was run down but I had a good look much to the angst of the caretaker ... I later learnt it was terribly vandalised then sold and redeveloped as a residential area. At least it's still there anyway, even if the old grounds have gone ...

+Quote Post
*johnboy*
post 14th May 2009, 06:16am
Post #29

hi, i was there for six weeks in 71 and four weeks in 72 along with my brother ,it was a prison for kids as far as we were concerned.glad to see the back of it,used to count down the remaining days on the swings singing "ten more days to go,ten more days of sorrow" etc. kids used to escape in the middle of the night as well,what an advert for the place.oh,and it was boys only back then.

+Quote Post
*Bigal*
post 26th May 2009, 06:30pm
Post #30

QUOTE (MICK MCGREGOR @ 28th Jan 2008, 04:04pm) *
craig residential school was in dundonald near kilmarnock. i was there 7 times, for a month at a time from 5 to 12 years old. great memories.

I went to the Craig and enjoyed my time there in the late sixtes always remember the teacher who was very tall( cant remember her name) but she was a wonderful person. also remember a
family from the parkhead area. and a boy with an italian name from the possilpark area and another boy from Sunnylaw Street. i have very fond memories of the Craig.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Jun 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.