Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Craig Residential School, Looking for information
fransav
post 4th Feb 2006, 08:41pm
Post #1

Unpacking
Member No.: 2,777
anyone please tell me if you could where craig residential school was????thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
boots
post 5th Feb 2006, 07:03am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,524
Hi Fransav, sorry I don't have any information for you but could you perhaps tell us are you looking for a residential school in Scotland or in Canada and if you have any idea of the part of the country you think it might be in and the years you are interested in. The more information you can give the easier it is for people to try and help. Believe me, we'll try!

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 5th Feb 2006, 09:58am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
"Craig" residential school does not spring to mind. Perhaps it was Craigpark, Craigholme, Craig being the suffix of a bigger name.

As boot says more information would be helpful

Was it in Scotland?
When are we talking about?
Was it definitely a residential school or was it a List D or some other residential establishment.
Why were children there? As part of a holiday, or course. Because of emotional reasons, physical health or something?

There's a fairly current list of schools here

Schools catering for special needs

+Quote Post
fransav
post 5th Feb 2006, 11:40am
Post #4

Unpacking
Member No.: 2,777
sorry folks about the non information my fault i went to craig for six weeks in the sixties and it is in scotland i just cant remember were it is but i am sure it was well used by the schools in glasgow think it was more or less a holiday for those that couldnt afford one think the departure point was somewere on high st .just all these years i still have not met anyone who has been there thank you for your help bye for now

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 6th Feb 2006, 11:53pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
I'm struggling to find one called Craig. Here's one in Rothesay

Ascog

It wasn't thsi one

Every year the school club would spend two weeks at a residential school in Argyle. We stayed in Achnamara and loved every minute of it. The sailing was wonderful and the scenery breathtaking.
Or this one at Garlieston

Mr. Edward Strutt, a step grandson, became owner, and then sold Galloway House to Glasgow Corporation for a residential school which had monthly intakes of primary six and seven children to provide education in the country. The school, which had a succession of excellent head teachers and staff, was run from 1947 to 1976 when educational spending cuts closed all Glasgow's residential schools. Since that time, Galloway House has been a private house, first with an American owner, and now with an Australian owner.

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 10th Feb 2006, 02:30am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
I'Msure there was a Graigpark school close to Hoganfield loch.

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
jimmyd
post 10th Feb 2006, 10:39am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 22
If you tell us the School you attended at the time ,we may be able to trace it that way.Many church organisation ran places for disadvantaged kids ,from the city .The schools would identfy children in need and refer them on . PM me if you need info

--------------------
" If during a lifetime ,you bring happiness and pleasure to just one person ,then your time on earth has been worthwhile indeed ! " Jimmyd

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 15th Mar 2006, 08:58pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
Ah think there was another school near huggy loch was called Mossbank. My granfaither went to it when he was a boi. I remember him telling me of the times he had there. It looked an evil auld manky place to me when I wus a wean, looked worse than Bar L.

It was just alang the same street where the 38 Bus terminus is in Millarston, think there is big private hoosing scheme on the site now.

On the subject of residential schools / summer schools I been to 3 in the 60's, some on more that one occasion.

Wus one in Colintraive

Wus one in Castle Toward

Another private one in Clynder, that was owned by a Mr McLean who had offices in Paisley Rd West.

Will prolly get aroond to relating some stories aboot them when I can get a wee bit o time to sit down and think!

Ah dont think I have heard of one called Craig tho, but will have a ferret aboot an see if can find anything.

This post has been edited by Rabbie: 15th Mar 2006, 09:30pm

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
mitchell
post 16th Mar 2006, 08:48pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,377
There was also another one just outside Ardrossan called "The Seafield residential School"

+Quote Post
davyab44
post 20th Mar 2006, 02:16am
Post #10

City Key Holder
Member No.: 429
Another residential school was Nerston near East Kilbride. Spent a couple of months there myself in 1958.

--------------------
Here's tae us, wha's like us? Damn few an' they're a' deid

+Quote Post
*alex hunter*
post 7th Jun 2007, 06:02pm
Post #11

been looking for craig residential school myself i was ther twice in the sixties

i remember a bus coming to pick us up in glasgow city centre and i'm sure it is in ayrshire probably nr maybole if that jogs any memories

+Quote Post
*Guest jackie **
post 13th Jun 2007, 08:21pm
Post #12

hi jackie here went to craigie in the 70s the address was craig residential school crossbank, kilmarnock, east ayrshire,kaz obp, just looking that up myself,

+Quote Post
*John M*
post 1st Nov 2007, 04:49pm
Post #13

Hi I went to Craig Residential School in the 60s left from centre of Glasgow taken there in Ayrshire somewhere attended classes Mon to Fri and on weekends was freetime.

+Quote Post
celtic-chic67
post 7th Nov 2007, 12:29pm
Post #14

City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,040
I went to a residential school in the late 70's for about 4 weeks, it was in kilmarnock.
It was a huge big white house and it had it's own swing park in the grounds.
I loved it ,we would all sit in a big room on a friday night and watch a film.
that's where i seen calamity jane for the first time,came back home & sang all the songs
out of it and to this day it's still one of my favourite films.
They also took us to ice-skating and the swimming,happy memories but I was still young
then and missed my mum & dad.

+Quote Post
*Kendee*
post 22nd Jan 2008, 10:36pm
Post #15

Hi , I remeber craig Resi school reasonably well. It was in Kilmarnock and i too remember sitting watching films and waiting for the buttered rolls to come from the kitchen . I also recall the 2 male dorm were called "THE ASH & THE OAK ( cant remeber what the girls was called ( not that interested in females at that time ,,,,,,
If anyone else was there in the sisties get in touch ...you never know , we may have met !!!

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Jun 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.