Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ho-o-ome Cookin, Ho-o-ome Cookin', ... how's about cookin' somethin' up for me ...
TeeHeeHee
post 5th Sep 2017, 10:30am
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Ah have searched, honestly, but can't find a forum topic purely on good ol' home recipes ... or even exotic dishes which Ah'm raring to go for.
One stir-fry recipe Ah gied a wee swatch this morning on the "net" included green onions and ginger root and Ah had to Google them to see what they looked like ... OK, don't laugh: Ah'm gettin there so Ah mur rolleyes.gif

Ah've only recently become expert at making my own bolognese which everyone loves. Lasagne is also a piece-a doddle, ma salads are to die for ... wait ... Ah didnae mean that unsure.gif but up tae noo that's about as far as it's gone.

But Ah am feeling adventurous.

Ah did a season as a cook 53 years ago oan the Isle o' Man as a mere youth o' 20 years auld but I didn't like the hours, the sweat or the hassle ... but Ah'm gem noo tongue.gif

So, boys and girls, howzaboot aw ypu buddin' Chefs d' cuisine showin' me what you can do and see if Ah kin put an extention oan this wee fat belly a mine which Ah'm gettin' rather fond ae.

Nae offence but Vegan dishes will be shoved straight intae ma Eimer laugh.gif

Attached Image

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wombat
post 5th Sep 2017, 07:38pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
rolleyes.gif lizard stew yes.gif
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 5th Sep 2017, 08:33pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (wombat @ 5th Sep 2017, 09:38pm) *
rolleyes.gif lizard stew yes.gif

Dee-lishus! Tastes like chicken. smile.gif

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
wombat
post 5th Sep 2017, 08:57pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
rolleyes.gif batsoup yes.gif
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
wombat
post 5th Sep 2017, 08:59pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
tongue.gif still hungry tee hee? rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 5th Sep 2017, 09:18pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
OK ... First catch lizard ... right. got that tongue.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 6th Sep 2017, 03:22pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
100 clicks so far and all I've got is snake an' kidney pie. sad.gif

I was hoping to surprise Mary with something tasty, other than me, but I guess it'll be sweet and sour chicken stir fry tonight again tongue.gif

But I wont give up hope that I might be inundated with recipes soon. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 12th Sep 2017, 10:41am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Sometimes giving up hope is an option ...
Last week I went for a Sweet & Sour Chicken recipe which looked appetising on the net.
The first snag was that the recipe called for a couple of tablespoons of shoaxing wine to put into the sauce (first Ah've heard of wine being measured by the tablespoon LOL). Straight back onto the net to find out what kind of wine that would be. Turns out it's a rice wine. As it happens I have a few bottles of Plum Wine which we get with a calendar each year from our local Chinese restaurant so I threw some of that in ... it was either that or Bacardi - or 18 year Laphroaig tongue.gif
It also recommended Green onions which meant going back to Google ... how was I to know that spring onions and leaks etc. are called green onions - Ah'm sure it must have been an American recipe.
Same with ginger-root, I had to Google an image to see what they looked like ... Aw, hey, Ah've seen them in the supermarket here: Germans call it Ingwer - anything to confuse LOL
Celery, red bell peppers (Paprika tae you an' me: thanks Google) etc. etc.
I bought a kilo of Chicken breast but when I was dicing it up I thought it was way too much for the two of us so put the other half in a freezer bag.
Should have used that too because it soon became apparent in the wok that there wasn't going to be enough chicken but I wok't it for the dog (Bonnie) the next morning which saved me from buying a half chicken straight from the spit at her local Imbiss stand and burning my fingers separating the meat from the bone as I do every Thursday when I take the lady out.
I had to buy a (useless) lemon squeezer too and when asking in the supermarket if they have "Soy" sauce and where might they keep it, I was surprised (again biggrin.gif ) when she led me to the "Soya" sauce: Ok, I know tongue.gif ... but in the end; and with a few wee tweeks of my own to the recipe, we sat down last wednesday to what I thought was a well-in-order Sweet and Sour Chicken.
Mary was impressed ... but asked if I could leave the fresh lemon juice and fresh orange juice out at the next try laugh.gif

I'm still up for recipies though ... so long as they don't involve toastin' turtles, cookin' crocs or sautéin' snakes

--------------------

+Quote Post
*Billy Boil*
post 14th Sep 2017, 04:01pm
Post #9

QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 12th Sep 2017, 10:41am) *
Sometimes giving up hope is an option ...
Last week I went for a Sweet & Sour Chicken recipe which looked appetising on the net.
The first snag was that the recipe called for a couple of tablespoons of shoaxing wine to put into the sauce (first Ah've heard of wine being measured by the tablespoon LOL). Straight back onto the net to find out what kind of wine that would be. Turns out it's a rice wine. As it happens I have a few bottles of Plum Wine which we get with a calendar each year from our local Chinese restaurant so I threw some of that in ... it was either that or Bacardi - or 18 year Laphroaig tongue.gif
It also recommended Green onions which meant going back to Google ... how was I to know that spring onions and leaks etc. are called green onions - Ah'm sure it must have been an American recipe.
Same with ginger-root, I had to Google an image to see what they looked like ... Aw, hey, Ah've seen them in the supermarket here: Germans call it Ingwer - anything to confuse LOL
Celery, red bell peppers (Paprika tae you an' me: thanks Google) etc. etc.
I bought a kilo of Chicken breast but when I was dicing it up I thought it was way too much for the two of us so put the other half in a freezer bag.
Should have used that too because it soon became apparent in the wok that there wasn't going to be enough chicken but I wok't it for the dog (Bonnie) the next morning which saved me from buying a half chicken straight from the spit at her local Imbiss stand and burning my fingers separating the meat from the bone as I do every Thursday when I take the lady out.
I had to buy a (useless) lemon squeezer too and when asking in the supermarket if they have "Soy" sauce and where might they keep it, I was surprised (again biggrin.gif ) when she led me to the "Soya" sauce: Ok, I know tongue.gif ... but in the end; and with a few wee tweeks of my own to the recipe, we sat down last wednesday to what I thought was a well-in-order Sweet and Sour Chicken.
Mary was impressed ... but asked if I could leave the fresh lemon juice and fresh orange juice out at the next try laugh.gif

I'm still up for recipies though ... so long as they don't involve toastin' turtles, cookin' crocs or sautéin' snakes

Xiao Xing wine is probably the most common Chinese cooking wine on any market. It is available in all supermarkets in Australia due to the
nature of the social structure. Asian is the most popular cooking style in Australia. However supermarkets reflect the ethnic makeup of the
of the surrounding clientele. As the amount of wine in sweet & sour makes no great demands on perfection, substituting any rice wine or a dry sherry will make little difference to the finished product.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 14th Sep 2017, 08:45pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Billy Boil @ 14th Sep 2017, 05:01pm) *
Xiao Xing wine is probably the most common Chinese cooking wine on any market ... substituting any rice wine or a dry sherry will make little difference to the finished product.

In that case Billy I'll throw in a cup of Tsingtao beer and see where that takes me tongue.gif

I'm hoping your next reply contains a recipe that I can try out biggrin.gif
Hey, Ah'm buyin' aw the tools and Ah'm rarin' tae go laugh.gif

Mary looks funny at me when I mention Wokin' the dog ... get down Gunter! rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
wombat
post 14th Sep 2017, 09:06pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
rolleyes.gif croc and chips, squeeze o lime yes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
kenb
post 14th Sep 2017, 09:12pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 11,294
hows gunter gettin on charlie and him (back on topic) sign_offtopic.gif recipe for disaster

--------------------
WEY HEY

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 14th Sep 2017, 11:56pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Day 5 and Gunter nearly broke my neck, Ken. He follows me like a shadow. I was taking stuff from the kitchen onto the table and turned to go back into the kitchen ... then flew biggrin.gif
Thought I'd broken my elbow again (MRI showed 2 fractures from last time) but my head took most of the force when I hit the floor so that was a piece of luck.
Had him and Bonnie up to the Wolfs Canyon (Thursday) Did a half kilo of chicken in the wok for them before I left. Bonnie had to set the ground rules and show him who the Alpha was but after that they were both too bothered about getting the chicken down their necks to cause any hassle.
I even found the "Brudersloch" a cave known as the "Brothers' Hole" but I nearly had to carry Bonnie up tp it and back down again. Gunter took it like a mountain goat but it was steep, wet and definitely precarious.
Trouble is I'll need to go back again because the pictures were all schee-ite: Didn't notice I had the wrong setting rolleyes.gif

Anyway ... a couple came out not too bad :-

Attached Image

... but for some reason I'm not getting them up here sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 14th Sep 2017, 11:56pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Day 5 and Gunter nearly broke my neck, Ken. He follows me like a shadow. I was taking stuff from the kitchen onto the table and turned to go back into the kitchen ... then flew biggrin.gif
Thought I'd broken my elbow again (MRI showed 2 fractures from last time) but my head took most of the force when I hit the floor so that was a piece of luck.
Had him and Bonnie up to the Wolfs Canyon (Thursday) Did a half kilo of chicken in the wok for them before I left. Bonnie had to set the ground rules and show him who the Alpha was but after that they were both too bothered about getting the chicken down their necks to cause any hassle.
I even found the "Brudersloch" a cave known as the "Brothers' Hole" but I nearly had to carry Bonnie up tp it and back down again. Gunter took it like a mountain goat but it was steep, wet and definitely precarious.
Trouble is I'll need to go back again because the pictures were all schee-ite: Didn't notice I had the wrong setting rolleyes.gif

Anyway ... a couple came out not too bad :-

Attached Image

... but for some reason I'm not getting them up here sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 17th Sep 2017, 04:18pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
If you are still looking for recipes, this one is pretty good and (even better) easy. Serves two(ish)

Beef Stroganoff

300g Fillet Steak cut into 1cm wide strips
Small Onion, thinly sliced
225g Button Mushrooms, sliced
Knob of butter and a little cooking oil
Two Heaped tsps Dijon mustard
200mls Beef stock
Heaped tbls Crème Fraiche
Tsp Paprika
Some flat leaf parsley, chopped.
5cl Brandy (optional)

Put the meat on a board and sprinkle with the paprika and some black pepper (no salt as there will be enough in the stock). Heat the butter and a little oil in a pan and fry the onion and mushrooms until soft, about 4 or 5 minutes. Add the stock and mustard and continue cooking until the liquid reduces by about half. Stir in the crème fraiche thoroughly and remove the pan from the heat. Heat some oil in another pan until it’s very hot and throw in the beef and quickly brown on all sides. This will take 1 to 2 minutes, no more. Pour in the brandy, if using and flambé (if you are brave enough, and remember to turn off the cooker extractor fan first). Return the first pan to the heat, add the beef and stir in the parsley. Serve with plain rice or potatoes and veg.

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Jun 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.