Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> When And Where Did Queenslie Go?, Beam Me Up Scottie When
BIG T
post 14th May 2005, 07:30am
Post #1

Unpacking
Member No.: 1,986
i was in glasgow from oz in dec 04 for a week and went to see where i used to live QUEENSLIE but it is now gone all factories when did this happen
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Riddrieperson
post 15th May 2005, 10:29am
Post #2

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 799
QUOTE (BIG T @ 14th May 2005, 09:47 AM)
i was in glasgow from oz in dec 04 for a week and went to see where i used to live QUEENSLIE but it is now gone all factories when did this happen

I am trying find out for you when the estate was built.The original estate has expanded and new factories have replaced some of the older ones.I do know that a soap factory was opened there in 1988 (Soapworks,which was started by Annita Roddick,now of Body Shop fame) so it must be at least 20 years.Older and wiser people than me may able to come up with the exact date.When did you leave Easterhouse? biggrin.gif

--------------------
Kenny :)

+Quote Post
betty2
post 15th May 2005, 06:07pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 56
My aunt was rehoused in Queenslie from the gallowgate in the 1950's think it was mid 50's. The soapwork you mention is where my daughter works but thats only in the past 3 years for her . I worked in the canda 1955 which made clothes for the C&A its now gone also . Queenslie industrial estate was a hive of industry and provided work for the people in the eastend of the city also others .

still here in glesca

--------------------
still here in glesca

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 15th May 2005, 09:03pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
Queenslie Primary School

Demolished in 1989.

Going Home

+Quote Post
Heather
post 17th May 2005, 10:13pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
The Queenslie Estate used to be a bit of a landmark.

When we moved to Barlanark we knew we were near our bus stop when we came to the Queenslie. I used to live 10 minute's walk from School but after moving to Barlanark, I did not get home until 5 0'clock as the bus was every 20 minutes on the hour.

I remember when I was learning to drive a car, my husband used to give me extra driving lessons and it was always around the streets in the Queenslie Estate.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
Gemini
post 19th May 2005, 11:14am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 193
I too worked in the Canda in the early fifties, there was the clothing factory, a mattress factory, and I believe smith corona the typewriter factory, not sure what if anything else was there

+Quote Post
*william conlin*
post 28th Apr 2008, 03:36pm
Post #7

AHH the canda,my mum Alice worked there for years as a presser,making clothes as you say for C&A,and also john stevens of carnaby street,she worked there from the early 60s,i was a bad boy and got nicked for spray painting the wall that ran along the outside,trust me to get nabbed at ma mums work,i remember walking along the to[p end of the scheme where it looked down ontot he estate,especially the SLD. with all the big diggers wow what i wouldnt have given to get ma hands on one of those way back then lol.i took my two sons up to look at the old place and try to show themwhere i was brought, up this was about 14/15 years ago and the scheme was gone then.the feeling i had was wierd it might sound soppy but i was very upset about this important piece of my past not being there to share with my sons.Due to a fire in my mothers house (in cumbernauld)i lost all photographs of the old place so if you have any that you could send me i would appreciate it,any at all doesnt matter what the subject matter is,i managed to save about 2/3 one was of me william baird and tam Mcbain wie johnny seven guns,and alky Mac Millan in a dalek suit lol ...

+Quote Post
jaybee
post 28th Apr 2008, 10:56pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,800
My Aunt lived in Queenslie (but we called it Easterhouse). This would be the late 50s early 60s. My mother also worked in the Mine Safety in the Estate. Don't know when the houses went though. Jaybee

+Quote Post
penny dainty
post 28th Apr 2008, 11:22pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,591
jings I never knew Easterhouse used to be called Queenslie!

--------------------
Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 29th Apr 2008, 12:11am
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
The house's just past the Queenslie Estate were called Queenslie. The next house's came under Easterhouse.

I was surprised to see a C & A Store in Cracow, Poland, I thought they were out of business.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
*john miller*
post 24th Jun 2008, 10:45pm
Post #11

hi i used to live at 8 lonmay path from 1960 when i was born there till 1977 when i joined the air force loved the place the industrial estate was a great playground

+Quote Post
*Eddie McGeough*
post 28th Apr 2009, 10:18pm
Post #12

hi.....i lived in horndean crescent,queenslie all my childhood and left when i was 18....i think it was demolished in the early nineties(cant remember exact time though).....anyone else from queenslie?

+Quote Post
*angie spence*
post 10th May 2009, 07:08pm
Post #13

hi i used to live in no 4 lonmay path till 1977 when i moved back to england, does anyone remember the pattersons? and the morrisons and the boyles that live in the same block

gees never have been back there but my daughter married a guy from scotland and oddly enough she now lives in scotland maybe one day i will get the chance to go back and see all the changes that have taken place.

fondest memories
angie

+Quote Post
jaybee
post 10th May 2009, 10:24pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,800
QUOTE (Eddie McGeough @ 28th Apr 2009, 10:47pm) *
hi.....i lived in horndean crescent,queenslie all my childhood and left when i was 18....i think it was demolished in the early nineties(cant remember exact time though).....anyone else from queenslie?

Eddie, do you remember the Heaney's from Horndean Crescent?

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 1st Jun 2009, 03:29am
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
QUOTE (Heather @ 18th May 2005, 08:42am) *
The Queenslie Estate used to be a bit of a landmark.

When we moved to Barlanark we knew we were near our bus stop when we came to the Queenslie. I used to live 10 minute's walk from School but after moving to Barlanark, I did not get home until 5 0'clock as the bus was every 20 minutes on the hour.

I remember when I was learning to drive a car, my husband used to give me extra driving lessons and it was always around the streets in the Queenslie Estate.

biggrin.gif Same as my husband Neil who lived in Cranhill Heather his dad always took him for wee lessons through the Queenslie estate,he has many a good memory of the place.

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Jun 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.