Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> St Kentigerns Cemetery, Saddened by the state of the place
mlconnelly
post 24th Mar 2014, 07:48pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
I was up at St Kentigern's cemetery last week and was extremely shocked and saddened by the state of the place. The cemetery is so badly waterlogged I couldn't get near to my aunts grave either by car or on foot for fear of getting stuck in the mud. I phoned GCC to complain but got absolutely nowhere as its just a call centre but I was told someone would be in touch. My cousin was up over the weekend and phoned GCC this morning to complain and, guess what, got absolutely nowhere. I phoned this afternoon and asked for the name of the person in charge of Park Services and surprise surprise, no one knows who that is or they can't give me that information. I did a little digging and now know the name of the Executive Director of Land and Environmental Services, so I'm now on a mission. He will very soon be receiving a letter from me, which I'm sure will be the 1st of many, not only about the state of the cemetery but also about a customer service department that either cannot or will not supply customer service. I know over the years people have been lead to believe that damage has been caused by vandals and that may hold some truth but I'm inclined to think most of the damage has be caused by a lack of drainage. Mary angry.gif sad.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
**cathy52**
post 24th Mar 2014, 08:30pm
Post #2

Hi Mary, l have been complaining for years, I cant go to my dads and grandparent grave if it has been raining as it is like a swamp, you complain and they do nothing, it is so depressing to think of your loved ones being there. As you say they need to spend money and drain the place and clean the place to a higher standard, there never seems to be anyone at the office at the graveyard or should I say no one seems to answer when you knock on the door. I will be sending a letter tomorrow as it has been weeks since I have been to the cemetery because it is to bad to get to my dads grave. Cathy.

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 24th Mar 2014, 10:42pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
Why is it that every other day in Glasgow and it's suroundsI read of monuments, historic places,cemeteries,listed buildings,urban neighbourhood blight,parks, being torn down or forgotten and yet lots of threads on here say how wonderful it is in Glasgow....I think in my and my parents days we were a prouder lot.

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 24th Mar 2014, 10:43pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Cathy, can I ask who you write to. I filled in the complaints form online today but I'm not particularly hopeful about the answer I will get, assuming I even get one. My aunts grave is in section 21 and I would guess your dad must be close by and when I was up just after Xmas it was nowhere near as bad as it was last week which is the worst I have ever seen it. Even the entrance at Tresta Rd is a disgrace with all the potholes. My Dad's has had his parents headstone repaired twice in recent years the 1st time may or may not have been caused by vandals but the 2nd time was definitely caused by water and it now looks like my aunts stone is now starting to move too. As I said I'm now on a mission and I'm seriously considering starting one of these online petitions, I wonder how many signatures I'd get. Mary

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 25th Mar 2014, 08:24am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
Mary, I've not visited for a wee while now but I don't doubt what you say about the state of the place. It's possible that you online petition would attract signatures but, unlike when we were a bit younger, there is not the kind numbers going to visit family graves these days.

I can anticipate that you will eventually get a response from the Council which will cite the budget cuts as the reason for the current state of the cemetery.

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
gardenqueen
post 25th Mar 2014, 08:56am
Post #6

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,280
My dad is buried in that place. I have never been back and will always remember how desolate it was that day back in March '85, wet and windy and depressing. Mary, the picture you have painted in my head reinforces that image and it is a disgrace to think that it has been allowed to deteriorate like that.

Way back, in'68, I would think nothing of walking over there from Milton, with a bag of books, to study for my O Levels. The surroundings were pleasant enough to sit in and, at that age, certainly for me, death hadn't even touched me. These days it has in many ways and I often think of what I would want for myself. Definitely not to be laid to rest somewhere neglected and, worse still, vandalized. The arrogance of youth, how could they?

I will probably opt for cremation unless I could be sure I would get a place somewhere like this, where my husband's aunt was laid to rest last summer. A perfect ending. Where the land meets the sea.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/atoach/492757...in/photostream/

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 25th Mar 2014, 11:49am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,353
Sorry to hear this but not surprised as if its not some cooncillors wee pet project then there will be no money allocated to it by the city council. You think of all the men and women who worked hard to make Glasgow a great city and think how the council has just neglected their memories. Yes of course the council will say it is budget cuts but they always find the millions for stupid projects that ordinary people dont agree with.

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 25th Mar 2014, 03:04pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Ash, I agree and was just saying the same thing to my Dad today. I think people gave up visiting when the saw how bad things became and no one making any effort to put it right. One of my Dads sisters die at just 15 month and we've only recently found out where she is buried and had a stone put on the grave which in the 2 or so short years its been there, is already sinking. It just makes me so angry when I think of the amount of money being wasted on things like the George Square fiasco.
GQ we used to go to the cemetery every Sunday after mass, firstly from Cowcaddens then from Milton, sometime we would even take a picnic with us as we'd be there all day.
I've only going back up in the last 2 or 3 years as I've been trying to plot as many family graves as possible to tie up branches of my family tree. I think I've also adopted Rond's grandparents as part of my family since I found their grave for him a while ago and always stop to say "hello" when I do my rounds, laugh.gif . Mary

+Quote Post
cathy52
post 25th Mar 2014, 06:52pm
Post #9

Super Resident
Member No.: 11,625
hi mary i complained to the parks dept this was about 3yrs ago i have complained a few times after i first complained,like you no response .my family is in lambhill and the whole lot of that part is a disgrace,i will sign a petition and i sent a letter today, i have to hold my trousers up so i dont get soaked when going to my dads and then i have to clean my boots before i get into the car as its so bad with mud. angry.gif

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 25th Mar 2014, 10:06pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
I put in a complain via the online complaints form but I now have the name and address of the Executive Director of Land and Environmental Services. His name is Brian Devlin,231 George S., Glasgow, G1 1RX and his email address is brian.devlin @Glasgow.gov.uk. If I have no joy from him then I go to George Black who is Chief Executive @ City Chambers. Mary

+Quote Post
gardenqueen
post 25th Mar 2014, 10:07pm
Post #11

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,280
Mary, I remember it was the thing to do, walk out to the cemetery. You would see lots of families doing the same on a Sunday afternoon. Stop off at Hannah's cafe for chips or ice cream on the way back.

If I remember correctly, it was like that in my mum's day too, a nice walk out to the cemetery from Possil. This would have been in the early 30s probably, when she was a teenager. Somewhere I have a photo of her and her friend taken in Balmore Road, done up to the nines for a stroll. I think photographers must have taken their photos and they bought them later.

By the sounds of it, not the place to stroll to these days, not without your wellies anyway!

+Quote Post
Heather
post 25th Mar 2014, 10:29pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Mary, maybe you should try writing to the Newspapers and see what kind of response it gets from the public.

That's if the letter gets published.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 27th Mar 2014, 09:44am
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
That has crossed my mind Heather. I complained twice, once by phone and once by their online complaints form and low and behold I had a phone call yesterday from the council assuring me that Bereavement Services would look into the matter. According the lady who call me," this is a tricky problem as it requires surveyors to go to the cemetery and assess the situation" and I would receive a letter from the in due course. Whats tricky about it, the water needs draining and the pathways need to be resurfaced. I will now give them the benefit of the doubt and give them time to assess the problem and to see what their decision may be but I will be writing to Brian Devlin if the response I get is not satisfactory and will write to him as often as is needed till something gets done. Mary

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 7th Apr 2014, 10:07am
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
A wee update. I have been contacted by Bereavement Services twice in the last week and I am hoping to have a meeting with a man named David McColl from BS to discuss what can be done at the cemetery sometime this week. Mary

PS. Just had another call as I was typing . I will be meeting him on Wednesday @ St Kentigerns. Keeping everything crossed. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Maggie50
post 7th Apr 2014, 06:22pm
Post #15

Settling In
Member No.: 6,020
http://discuss.glasgowguide.co.uk/index.ph...=lostpassformHi folks !! just new to the forum and not sure how it works. My grandparents are in lambhill but how do I begin to look for their resting places like the song says " where do I begin"? .....maggie

--------------------
mc manus34

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Sep 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.