Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

39 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Did You Get The Belt At School?, How many, what for and did it work?
pumps100
post 15th Dec 2008, 09:17pm
Post #31

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,333
I think when people make suggestions about 'bringing back corporal punishment' to schools (secondary or primary) in present times they should really think about what they are saying.

Society has changed since we were given the belt at school - community values and the social fabric of society is not what they once were; regrettably parent/parenting skills are sadly lacking in many areas. As GQ has already said it is in the home and with the parents that the responsibility for setting proper standards should rest - not with Teachers.

Against the present day background Teachers do an admirable job - a very tough job especially in the inner city and deprived areas - but first and foremost they are Teachers - not surrogate parents or social workers.

For those people who blithely say that corporal punishment has a place (in todays society) they should also ask themselves the question that I have previously posted:-

"Would you be happy to let someone else beat your child (or grandchild) ?"

I think in the present day most reasonable people would not be happy to go along with someone beating your child/or grandchild.

Regards

Ian
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gardenqueen
post 15th Dec 2008, 09:20pm
Post #32

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,280
I wish I had the answer, angel, believe me. But I do know that the answer is not to belt children just because you can.

Reading some of the replies makes me wonder if I was/am over sensitive but no, nothing can justify the level of punishments that some of us children had to put up with.

As I have mentioned before, I really was a well behaved, shy little girl and tried to please at all times. I honestly don't think I ever actually "deserved" the belt. My parents were quite strict and we were brought up to respect others, especially adults. It is difficult to respect adults in charge of you when they inflict suffering that you can't understand.

For sure, society needs to do something to try to restore respect. Self respect in children would be a good start.

GQ

+Quote Post
Java
post 15th Dec 2008, 09:30pm
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,211
I did not 'blithely' say that corporal punishment has a place, but I'm happy to answer your question Pumps100. Would I be happy to let someone beat my child? No. Was I happy when my child's education was disrupted by unruly behaviour? No. Would I accept that if my child was responsible for such disruption he be given the strap? Yes.

--------------------
A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails...

+Quote Post
pumps100
post 15th Dec 2008, 09:39pm
Post #34

Super City Key Holder
QUOTE (Java @ 16th Dec 2008, 01:29am) *
I did not 'blithely' say that corporal punishment has a place, but I'm happy to answer your question Pumps100. Would I be happy to let someone beat my child? No. Was I happy when my child's education was disrupted by unruly behaviour? No. Would I accept that if my child was responsible for such disruption he be given the strap? Yes.

Fair enough then.

Best wishes

Ian

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 15th Dec 2008, 09:47pm
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,288
Is there not a difference between beating a child and giving disipline. ?

Times are not like when most of us were in School, you can't abuse the kids these days but something needs to be done .

There are teachers out there who are terrified to do anything and there are other kids who are not gettign the education that they could be because these "unruly kids " are running the show.

--------------------

You don't have to live next door, to be a friend !

+Quote Post
pumps100
post 15th Dec 2008, 09:56pm
Post #36

Super City Key Holder
QUOTE (Lennox @ 16th Dec 2008, 01:46am) *
Is there not a difference between beating a child and giving disipline. ?

Times are not like when most of us were in School, you can't abuse the kids these days but something needs to be done .

There are teachers out there who are terrified to do anything and there are other kids who are not gettign the education that they could be because these "unruly kids " are running the show.

The point I was trying to make is that it is the parents responsibility to bring up their kids properly. It is the teacher has to suffer the consequences of the unruly students. But the teacher is not a surrogate parent or social worker.

And I for one would be terrified by saying to some big strapping unruly lad " Out here boy, I'm going to belt you". Can you imagine it!

Regards

Ian

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 15th Dec 2008, 10:01pm
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,288
Oh I can cos It has happened to me , but it wis Hey you ****** get out here but then again the bigger deal people make of it the bigger deal it is .

Night all

--------------------

You don't have to live next door, to be a friend !

+Quote Post
gardenqueen
post 15th Dec 2008, 10:02pm
Post #38

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,280
Of course you need discipline to be able to teach. It can be very difficult to provide this when some parents do not back the systems that are put in place.

Schools are not encouraged to exclude pupils no matter how badly behaved they are. Such figures are published and the schools are judged on things like this by inspectors.

Maybe we need to make such parents have their children at home until they behave so that the education of others is not disrupted. Schools can sometimes be seen as baby minding services so that parents can get on with their own lives. I believe that some youngsters receive money to stay on at school and this can be an incentive to them. On the other hand, it might be worth considering using the child benefit system which I think everyone gets, to bargain with. It might make a difference, who knows?

I do admit that I have not thought out the ins and outs of this and that it may cause other problems, I don't know. I also know that there are many caring parents, that we are talking about the minority but that minority can cause havoc within a class/school. All the things I said about learning environments and motivation I still hold with but there has to be some sanctions which could be applied without resorting to the belt or cane.

GQ

+Quote Post
Heather
post 15th Dec 2008, 11:27pm
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Gq, you got the belt more times in one day than I got all through my school days.
That Teacher was certainly strap happy, she should have been reported to the Police for assault.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 16th Dec 2008, 12:57am
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
GQ are you not feeling better at having all of that garbage out of you, my heart was racing just reading your posts, be very proud of yourself GQ for being the teacher that you turned out to be if more were like you schools and class rooms would be the proper enviornment for children of all ages. Have we ever asked ourselves why children missbehave in class, it has beem my observation that most kids want to please, but what if they are ill and don't want to say anything , what if that child suffers from APD or poor comunication skills, or a shy kid or a bullied child or a slow learner and needs more time to finish a task ,,, or one who has problems at home, to be a really great teacher we should have an interest in the whole child.

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 16th Dec 2008, 01:46am
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
my sons loved school and had about 2 days off in their secondary school now that says it all as they always enjoyed their teachers a think a only heard them bad mouth 1 teacher and most pupils did not like this techer so there must have been somthing that this teacher was doing wrong so am glad they did not have corparal punishment in schools of today not in uk that i know of

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 16th Dec 2008, 02:14am
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
So can any of you say what the answer is? Clearly most of the kids today need some sort of discipline. Most are not getting it at home and teachers are not allowed to do much of it at school. Is it any wonder many of them are falling behind.

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 16th Dec 2008, 02:20am
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
stuarty mine loved school as well and just completed uni, now looking for a career in law/law enforcement, but really enjoyed going to school, I remember one morning just about christmas time my son was leaving for the school bus, I thought that he forgot his wee gift for his teacher so I called him back to remind him that it had to be in by that day, he looked at the gift then at me and said mum I dont want to take it to my teacher , why I asked , his reply was I dont like her mun she yells too much, he was eight yrs old ... I asked him if he was sure and mentioned that all of the other kids would have a present for her and that he might be the only one without one but he said thats fine LOL whit a kid. As he left me that morning in the cold with his very best pal watching the two of them doddle off to the bus together aha had a wee chuckle tae mahself and thought >>> aye, to thy own self be true. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 16th Dec 2008, 02:25am
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Isobel I am sure you know that there is more than one way tae skin a cat. Its up to a teacher to seek out other alternatives.

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 16th Dec 2008, 04:20am
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
QUOTE (glasgow lass @ 15th Dec 2008, 07:19pm) *
stuarty mine loved school as well and just completed uni, now looking for a career in law/law enforcement, but really enjoyed going to school, I remember one morning just about christmas time my son was leaving for the school bus, I thought that he forgot his wee gift for his teacher so I called him back to remind him that it had to be in by that day, he looked at the gift then at me and said mum I dont want to take it to my teacher , why I asked , his reply was I dont like her mun she yells too much, he was eight yrs old ... I asked him if he was sure and mentioned that all of the other kids would have a present for her and that he might be the only one without one but he said thats fine LOL whit a kid. As he left me that morning in the cold with his very best pal watching the two of them doddle off to the bus together aha had a wee chuckle tae mahself and thought >>> aye, to thy own self be true. tongue.gif
A lovely wee story.

+Quote Post

39 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Jan 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.