Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Barnhill Poor House - Foresthall Hospital, Poor house employees 1903
jayemess
post 1st Apr 2008, 08:54am
Post #1

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,548
When researching family connections in Glasgow I learned that when my grandfather married my grandmother in the Western District of Cadder in 1903 his occupation was a Hospital Warden. I have assumed (but not confirmed) that he was employed at the Poor House as his address then was Edgefauld Road. Anyone know if records exist of employees at the Poor House?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RonD
post 1st Apr 2008, 10:46am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
Hello again:

I don't know anything about Barnhill but if you put Barnhill inn the search box above you'll see that it has been addressed previously on this board. Good luck.

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
buntyq
post 3rd Apr 2008, 12:32am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 15
I have to stay something in defense of Forresthall, renamed from Barnhill Poor House. My mother was in and out of hospitals and finally was placed in Forresthall which was a hospital like nursing home for the elderly. I cant say enough for the good care she was given. Part of her old age pension was alloted for her care and she was given back some money for personal use.

It was too bad that Forresthall never recovered in name from the history of the location being the poorhouse. Yet, I wonder how many derelicts would have died in lodgings had it not been for the hospital section of Barnhill.

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 14th Apr 2008, 04:23am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
I totally agree with bunty,I grew up next to it,the buildings were beautiful Victorian style,the gardens were very well kept,I remember it from the late 40s to the 70s,and knew many of the locals who were employed there and never ever heard any horror stories.I'ts not as if the people who lived there came from high life styles, these people were unwanted,old and infirm,they'd be much better taken care of there than living in a wee single end on their own,and they had indoor toilets! and cosidering our(some)living conditions at that time,that place would have looked like a fine hotel,and cheers to (Guest) for her Father working there,and to the others on this fine site that really do their homework on all these subjects!---Thank You.

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 14th Apr 2008, 04:26am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
I totally agree with bunty,I grew up next to it,the buildings were beautiful Victorian style,the gardens were very well kept,I remember it from the late 40s to the 70s,and knew many of the locals who were employed there and never ever heard any horror stories.I'ts not as if the people who lived there came from high life styles, these people were unwanted,old and infirm,they'd be much better taken care of there than living in a wee single end on their own,and they had indoor toilets! and cosidering our(some)living conditions at that time,that place would have looked like a fine hotel,and cheers to (Guest) for her Father working there,and to the others on this fine site that really do their homework on all these subjects!---Thank You.

+Quote Post
Ewan
post 6th May 2008, 06:20pm
Post #6

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,669
QUOTE (wellfield @ 14th Apr 2008, 12:33 AM) *
would have looked like a fine hotel,and cheers to (Guest) for her Father working there,and to the others on this fine site that really do their homework on all these subjects!---Thank You.

Im the "guest" whose Dad was a Doctor there from the 70's to the 80's. I thought I should register because for anyone that interested I had some more stuff to add that I remember from days gone by.

G Block was the ward for dementia patients who had left us in mind so to speak. The rest of the blocks save the outer ones which were M and N block were for geriatric patients who had health issues at that point in time. M and N blocks were at the back of the hospital towards the huge wall facing the Red Road flats. I remember they also taught folk how to walk again the best they could after a stroke or a fall in M and N blocks. My Dad spent alot of time there and actually looked after his own Mother in M blovk when she passed away fro heart failure at 91.

He met my Mom in the hospital too. My Mom was from Renfrew originally but had went to Pediani's school of hairdressing in Springburn Road and had gotten a job at the Hospital doing the old folks hair. They dated for a while and then married.

The more I think about the place the more I realize now that in when I was playing in the place while he worked the hospital was on the decline. It had large sections of it closed off and un-used when I was there. The things inside it, like the bowling greens and tennis courts put there in the 20's I think, were largely unkept and overgrown. It did have huge fancy gardens though and a few big big greenhouses. I think the idea was that in the poorhouse when they did have a homeless unit, that they could grow some of their own food to eat. Least thats what I think I remember.

In early years there was a homeless unit in the hospital still. This would be in the mid 70's but it soon closed. I used to get a skelp from my Dad if I got caught "hingin aboot" with the homeless kids. I remember getting caught behind the mortuary building watching while three of them were sniffing evostik glue. I got leathered for that one. smile.gif

The other thing I loved about the place was the constantly burning midden they had in the grounds. AS an 7 year old kid this thing was pure magic for me to play in but I got manys the skelping for coming into the ward in the middle of a ward round stinkin of midden and smoke. I still love the nurses who would cluck and tsk and take me off to wash up. I often wonder what happened to most of them. Some of them would "ask the Doctor" if they could take the wean (me) to the shop. It had a wee sweetie shop up a corridor somewhere that you could buy a quarter of soor plooms midget gems, strawberry bon bons or strawberry sherbets and the like. Hows that for a blast from the past?

As I got older, it was the perfect place to learn to drive. The hospital had no traffic in the extensive wee roads in it at night because by this time it had become a social work place with only a few wards left which Dad oversaw. I could get in my Mums wee Datsun car and stall and bump the car round the place myself learning to work the clutch and the like.

When it closed my Dad still had 5 odd years left to retire, so they sent him to Possil Park Health center where he helped stroke patients walk again working with the physio's He retired and lasted another 8 or 9 years before he had a massive heart attack in 1999 and passed away.

As I said before, my sister works in Stobhill now and The Southern General, she is some kind of operating room nurse.

Me?

I live in Washington DC and am a Fire Fighter.

I miss fish suppers like you wouldnt believe. wub.gif

+Quote Post
Elma
post 6th May 2008, 11:11pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
What an interesting post there Ewan, I never knew that hospital but your memories are great. Welcome to the boards, you will find lots of good things on here especially the memories which take you back, in some cases waaayyyy back biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 19th May 2008, 10:43pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Ewan,loved your wee story,itwas like a mini-movie,as I mentioned before I lived in that area,and when we were kids that place was always mysterious to us,some of the younger employees used to make up stories to scare us weans'---take care on your firefighting job.

+Quote Post
Tennscot
post 19th May 2008, 11:49pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,796
One of my school Mates Lived in Barnhill. His Father was I think a Chief Engineer for the complex. I remember his house was lovely (Kinda Toffie) The grounds were great ,the building nice and I don`t remember anything including the Patients being anything but nice. I was young(going to Wellfield at the time) and to me it seemed like Going to Springburn Park with buildings. I lived in Wellfield St at that time.

+Quote Post
*Marguerite (Gita) Saunders*
post 19th Aug 2008, 08:56am
Post #10

Hellow, Ewan and all posters on this topic. I believe my Grandma, Jessie REYNOLDS-COLTHART, nee MILLER, in Thurso, may have spent time in Glasgow's Barnhill Poor House. She had three illegitimate children by William Colthart (in 1911, 1913 and 1915); he was in and out of "the jile" regularly over a period of 40 years (12 convictions) each with 5-7 year sentences, so I assume he got out early on a few occasions.

In 1917, while William was inside, Gran effectively married a sailor, James William REYNOLDS (a stoker abord HMS Zaria); sadly he died just two years later, of concussion, in Greenock. In 1920, she hooked up again with the faither of her 2 surviving weans (her 3rd child, William, had died the day he was born, in 1915).

I learned from her Poor Relief records (got from the Mitchell Library) that she was put in the "Eastern" that day in 1915. At first I thought the "eastern" might be a Glasgow hospital, like the Great Western, but I'm told it was probably the "Eastern Hostel", a euphemism for the Barnhill poor house.

Can anybody out there confirm that piece of information?

Gita (in South Carolina, USA)

QUOTE (Ewan)
Im the "guest" whose Dad was a Doctor there ...

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 19th Aug 2008, 11:47pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Marguerite, you're story has the beginnings of a great novel.Someone may know more ,as there are many learned people on this site,but the Eastern sounds like a similar place to Barnhill( Foresthall)---it's now a nice housing estste,but ah' love yer' Grannie Jessie already!

+Quote Post
*veesixteen*
post 20th Aug 2008, 08:37am
Post #12

Thanks! Yes, when you think about it, my Grannie was just a wee farm-girl from Thurso who probably dreamed about the "big city lights" in Glasgow, that she may have heard or read about (remember, no TV nor any picture houses in the late 19th century).

Grandpa "Wullie" Colthart was in his mid-fifties, and Gran in her late twenties, when she met him (on a farm?) in Fife. Far from home, I guess she sought the warmth and companionship of this "father figure" ...and ended up with three of his weans in quick succession, while "oor Wullie" kept popping in and out of jail (12 convictions in 40 years !)

During one of his incarcerations, she met and married a "sailor boy" closer to her own age and he supported her until his accidental death, in Greenock, just two years later. How she hooked up again with Wullie, we'll never know; in any case she ended up marrying him the year after her first husband's death.

Now I'm trying to find out from HM Prisons the full list of heinous crimes committed by Grandpa and the actual time served in each case. I wonder if they might also have "mug shots" of him; I'd love to hang them on the wall, at home, beside the photo of my paternal Grandpa (a Swiss newspaper editor and Red Cross VIP who counted Winston Churchill among his many connections) and my husband's Grandpa in full military regalia (he was a General in the French army in WW1).

BTW, Mum never mentioned her parents to me; she just told me one day when I was 5 or 6 that I had no grandparents, so I assumed they had died. She never mentioned having a wee sister, Jessie, named after her mother [I am now trying to find more about Jessie Jr.; so far all I've got is her date of birth in 1913, but it's a start]. I find it surprising that Mum was able to get so far ahead of the game! She went to Shawland Academy then to the Secretarial College in Glasgow before heading for London's "big city lights" (like her own Mum?) when she was 21. She married a well-to-do Sassenach in 1938 and I have photos of [and visited in 2000!] her beautiful, former home in Surrey where she engaged in such gentlewomanly sports as golf and fox-hunting! Sadly, that marriage ended in divorce and she remained single until she met and married my Dad, a Swiss businessman, in NY in 1948. She had gone there in 1946 as a member of the UK delegation at the founding of the United Nations in Flushing Meadows. Quite a change from the squalor of the Glasgow poor house!

If anyone reading these posts knows where I might get information about inmates in Scottish prisons from, say, 1880-1925, please let me know. Thanks.
QUOTE (wellfield @ 20th Aug 2008, 12:52am) *
Hi Marguerite, you're story has the beginnings of a great novel ...

+Quote Post
*Guest Ewan **
post 30th Aug 2008, 04:48pm
Post #13

Its Ewan again. Im sorry I forgot the password smile.gif

To the lady in South Carolina, I hope the following helps.

The Eastern she refers to was acyually the "The Great Eastern Hotel." This was a former Victorian hotel which had all the fabulous Iron work and the like but fell into disrepair and was turned into a "poor house"

It was located on Duke Street towards High Street and funnily enough was located across the street from the Duke Street Prison which was a womans jail. Im betting alot of the women inmates flip flopped between the two institutions in their time biggrin.gif

Here is a picture of It I found. I hope it helps

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Ewan
post 30th Aug 2008, 05:21pm
Post #14

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,669
Scratch some of the info in my post about the Great Eastern.

After looking for it on Google, I found out it was actually a textile mill up until 1907, when it was turned into a poor house.

Ewan
Washington DC

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 21st Mar 2010, 12:10pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 413
Anyone interested in the Barnhill Poorhouse will find masses of interest if you CLICK HERE!

Some photos HERE!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Jun 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.