Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Does Glasgow Need This?, Pub with ultra strong beer
Jupiter
post 13th Jul 2011, 01:33pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
A new pub is opening soon opposite the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum.Brewdog sells beers with alcohol contents up to 40%.
Unsurprisingly the residents in the vicinity are not too chuffed.
Im all for freedom of choice but DOES GLASGOW NEED THIS?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 13th Jul 2011, 01:55pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Maybe a nice arty-farty lounge bar inside the Art Gallery would be a better idea. tongue.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 13th Jul 2011, 02:04pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Last I heard, their strongest beer was 55% ABV. Personally I would not classify such a beverage as beer, although it may be technically. Beer to me should be a refreshing drink ( at least while tasting it). Even Carlberg Special is more of an alcoholic syrup cure for consciousness.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
auldbutcher
post 13th Jul 2011, 02:14pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,459
How aboot a nice statue in George Square o John Mclean and John Smith ,and a nice wee club fer THE BRITISH LEGION where aw ex squadies can go shoot the breeze and exchange tales o daring do, aw drinks would be quarter price and it would be a stipulation that you would have tae show proof you were indeed a sodger o the Queen me lads ,right noo by the left you lucky buggers, swing they erms you you orrible little man . laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 13th Jul 2011, 02:36pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Coming so soon after GGs comments about off topic posts I am wondering what statues in George Square and soldiers have to do with a new pub opening in Glasgow? rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 13th Jul 2011, 02:43pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
40% beer, now then that's a must try. I wonder what have they they got in it, nitroglycerin? I understand, that in small dozes it is good for the heart.

Also, beer of this strength could go some way in assisting up and coming artistic connoisseurs and piss artists to appreciate some of the fine artworks housed in The Kelvingrove.

So it's YES from me.

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
Crewsy Fixer
post 13th Jul 2011, 03:02pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,545
How much a pint for the 40%, I dont go beyond 7% for beer.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 13th Jul 2011, 03:12pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
The 55% is reportedly 500GBP for a 33cl bottle. A pint should be enough to eliminate any moron with enough money to buy one.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 13th Jul 2011, 07:09pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 413
THIS IS THE STUFF

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 13th Jul 2011, 07:56pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
That´s for cissies - this is the real McCoy !

http://www.brewdog.com/blog-article/341

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crewsy Fixer
post 13th Jul 2011, 10:02pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Cissies?
I refer you to the Hai Karate thread,I knew a guy once who worked in a whisky bond and regarded commercial whisky as something to brush your teeth with.

Cissies?

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 13th Jul 2011, 10:07pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Crewsy Fixer @ 13th Jul 2011, 11:55pm) *
Cissies?
I refer you to the Hai Karate thread,I knew a guy once who worked in a whisky bond and regarded commercial whisky as something to brush your teeth with.

Cissies?

I Do not think you read my link, Crewsy. 55% is a wee bit stronger than 40%, doncha think. Anyhow I was being ironic, as this so-called beer is just a cynical scam.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crewsy Fixer
post 13th Jul 2011, 10:21pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 13th Jul 2011, 10:00pm) *
I Do not think you read my link, Crewsy. 55% is a wee bit stronger than 40%, doncha think. Anyhow I was being ironic, as this so-called beer is just a cynical scam.

Course it is. My irony is cryptic.

+Quote Post
GG
post 13th Jul 2011, 10:52pm
Post #14

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
From the Evening Times yesterday:
[Glasgow City Council leader Gordon Matheson said] ... Glaswegians are also honest and confident enough to talk about the problems we face in this city – and expect politicians to do something about them.

One of those problems is alcohol. It is my duty to stand up for the decent majority in this city who are heartsick of those who think it’s acceptable to get so drunk at the weekend they can’t remember getting home.

As a society, we should come down on them like a ton of bricks. We’ve put up with enough.

I’ve also got to act on behalf of the families and elderly residents whose life is made a misery by those who use their flats as drinking dens, or who think that summer nights are an excuse for drinking on the street corner or in the park.

Nor can we tolerate off-sales which sell to under-age youngsters.

That is why I have established a Joint Action Group on Alcohol with a number of our top civic leaders.

This high-powered group will report its strong recommendations for clamping-down on antisocial behaviour linked to alcohol by September.

Tthis is about enforcement. We are determined to stand up for decent Glaswegians.

Watch out in the Evening Times for the tough action points that will be agreed by the group – and let me know when you notice a difference.

Full story here:
http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/mobile/news/...y-pub-1.1111885

In the Evening Times today:
A controversial brewery is opening a pub in Glasgow ... Brewdog has come under fire from alcohol groups because of its super-strength products, some of which have an alcohol content of more than 40%.

The firm also claimed the record for the strongest beer in history last year with a 55% alcohol beer named The End of History, of which only 11 bottles were produced.

Members of the local community have raised concern about the pub’s opening.

Yorkhill and Kelvingrove Community Council chairman, Tony Ownsworth, said: “If they [Brewdog] are encouraging the consumption of strong alcohol I don’t think that is something to be welcomed. Alcohol is a big problem in Glasgow and Scotland.”

Full story here:
http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/mobile/news/...y-pub-1.1111885

Does Glasgow need this? Surely not, according to what Mr Matheson has just said in the newspaper the day before. From another angle, surely Glasgow's tourism industry does not need this so close to the city's 'cultural gem'?

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
benny
post 14th Jul 2011, 12:15am
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
Ah really don't see whit aw the fuss is aboot. Aw distillers an brewers are "in the business of encouraging strong drink" - that's how they make money. A bottle of this 55% beer is roughly equivalent tae 3 bottles of fortified wine, such as port or sherry, in alcohol content, but considerably merr expensive. Ah don't see the local yobs gaun fur somethin at 55 quid when they can get the equivalent brain damage fur a helluva lot less. Naebody gets their knickers in a twist aboot the pubs that sell luxury whiskies like Royal Salute at 90 odd quid a bottle an a higher alcohol content.

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.