Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

13 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow Accent Sounds Most Stupid, Researchers claim untainted snobbery
kiltie2
post 16th Oct 2015, 06:48pm
Post #151

Resident
Member No.: 25,807
Och Heather, I should have explained, my pal who has been there for years, and I are both Burns Country, folk, so definitely not posh Jocks:) my pal after being there quite a number of years was asked once "Are you aware you have an accent" all of this honestly has us howling:) I decided we should try to adopt a Sean Connery accent, so had a wee practice, we were useless at saying SHO!:)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
carmella
post 17th Oct 2015, 09:32am
Post #152

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
In certain parts of the States, like Heather, I have never had a problem, but you have to also remember that Americans depending on where they live, are very parochial, and don't know what happens in the next town, let alone the world at large.

I went to live and work in Dallas, Texas when I was much younger, I stayed there with my Aunt and Uncle - she from Ayr[left in 1953 with my uncle] and he a Texan. Great times I recall in my life then, but it utterly amazed me, not only in and around Dallas, but other parts of the States, where people thought I must have learned to speak English, and some of the stupidist questions I was ever asked, was in the States.

I've never had the problem when I visited my other aunt and uncle, who lived for 40 years in Bostoin, and also those in the New York area.

It show a great lack of education, or even if they were taught about other countries, a great lack of appreciation or interest.

In th eastern parts of the States there are more Scots and Irish, so I woouldn't have expected to have a problem there - not so in the other parts.

I recall at the time, feeling quite embarrassed for them (not for me).

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 17th Oct 2015, 10:04am
Post #153

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,701
Oh, I don't know. I think it's quite sweet. After all, we were taught English at school so we did sort of learn to speak it.
English people - speak English.
Welsh people - speak Welsh
Scottish people - speak Gaelic???
Makes sense to me.

It's much worse when people ask you if you're English. Aaaargh!!!

+Quote Post
*Shuggie McGafferty*
post 17th Oct 2015, 11:09am
Post #154

AcumfaeGuvin annadonn huve anacsent that yese wid notice ataw' n' that.
As fur yon socauld Glesga accent if youse is no fraeGuvin a dinna see whit aw the fuss is aboot cause maist o' yean out sideaGuvin is aw lerned tae talk
Inglish. Or iss ma granny wid cry it the BURL.

+Quote Post
GG
post 14th Nov 2015, 04:19pm
Post #155

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Cristiano Ronaldo: I don't understand Sir Alex's Glasgow accent

Cristiano Ronaldo admits he still cannot understand what Sir Alex Ferguson is saying.

The Real Madrid forward describes Ferguson as a "father" figure who was vital in shaping his career during six years at Manchester United, but confessed to ITV chat show host Jonathan Ross that he still finds the Glaswegian's accent impenetrable.

"I still don't understand him. In the beginning, I had a translator, a Brazilian man, of course, basically only for him," Ronaldo said.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
kiltie2
post 15th Nov 2015, 09:47am
Post #156

Resident
Och GG you know whit's rang! there isnae an app fur that! quick! somebody invent wan, we're supposed tae be, or yist tae be! gid it that:) an mind tae include a humour button that explains sarcasm. smile.gif

+Quote Post
*Shuggie Hey*
post 17th Nov 2015, 09:38am
Post #157

QUOTE (GG @ 14th Nov 2015, 04:27pm) *
GG.

Acanny undirston him neether. As he disnea cumfaeguvin (ur dis he?) he wid no be subject tae the genuwine Burl as talked by the the tru affikionadoes of the Langue de Glesga. As spoked in the Baillie A Ghovan accent. So ther Jimm.

+Quote Post
kiltie2
post 17th Nov 2015, 11:36am
Post #158

Resident
Behave yerel' Shuggie! smile.gif how come yer no unerstaunin a upmerket Govin accent!? smile.gif

+Quote Post
carmella
post 19th Nov 2015, 03:50pm
Post #159

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
It doesn't surprise me in the least that Ronaldo has trouble with the Alex speal, I have trouble myself, but with others too.

What irks me more than anything, is that it seems all of the newsreaders, from BBC to SKY can pronounce correctly, so many difficult names, destinations etc, yet they canny properly pronounce some, indeed most of the Scottish names and places, without putting their feet in their mouths - just bugs the life out of me.

There are a few English accents that I have difficulty with, when they speak fast, so there.

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
kiltie2
post 19th Nov 2015, 04:32pm
Post #160

Resident
Gon yersel' Carmella, Longing for the day when something happens in Auchinshuggle:) and it makes national news, or maybe Lock! Ness, that's like chalk across a blackboard! and I've tried shouting at the telly, it's Loch!!! doesn't work:( another thing I was picked up for in America, is apparently! we don't pronounce our T's? I'm positive I didn't say Scoland? or did I? but then, I'm totally, and absolutely positive none of my young relatives ever Majored in Cheer leading at Uni:) this was a young girls answer when I asked her what her main subject was at University, she was kind enough to inform me it's called Majoring, well, daft me, I should have known:)!

+Quote Post
angel
post 19th Nov 2015, 06:14pm
Post #161

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
Well Kiltie , this topic has come up several times on this board and no matter , when it comes to the Glaswegian accent it is in fact quite difficult for peoples from other countries to understand and for those who see no further than Scotland , but are fortunate to do a little travelling , maybe you should tone down you accent somewhat ,
after all .
You ,me and others are guest's in those foreign countries and should if nothing else , show good manners and consideration No matter whether they speak Double Dutch or North American English ..

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
tottie ann
post 19th Nov 2015, 09:42pm
Post #162

Visitor
Member No.: 1,953
I recently was in a department store and the woman standing next to me spoke to me as she was Scottish I said oh you have an accent like mine to which she replied yours is a lot stronger than mine you must be from up north somewhere I said to her I am very proud of my accent and having lived here in NZ for fifty years have no intention of losing it to which she replied that she had lived here fifty one years and seemed so proud that she had lost some of it SILLY MOO

+Quote Post
kiltie2
post 20th Nov 2015, 08:10am
Post #163

Resident
You've taken my comments totally out of context Angel, this was not a slight at people from other countries, i just hadn't noticed I was missing out the T! the rest is called humour, more a laugh at ourselves than others. sigh:(

+Quote Post
kiltie2
post 20th Nov 2015, 08:13am
Post #164

Resident
You did well tottie ann not to fall about laughing, oh! you've only been here 50 years, well I've been here 51! you won't be in any hurry to run into her again smile.gif

+Quote Post
Melody
post 20th Nov 2015, 09:17am
Post #165

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
I wonder how people abroad manage to understand the English Cockney accent when the Cockney will say things like:

I fink I'll frow out fat fick fing as it only cost firty free pence from the frift shop.

Translation: I think I'll throw out that thick thing as it only cost thirty three pence from the thrift shop.

The reason I am able to understand and translate this accent is...........I listen and can understand many differing accents in England and Scotland, even American and Canadian accents. laugh.gif Listening is the thing or fing. laugh.gif

The rain in Spain stays mainly on the plain. laugh.gif

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Sep 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.