Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

25 Pages V  « < 23 24 25  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Should Begging Be Made Illegal?, Calls for city centre begging to be criminalised
*Talisman*
post 19th Jun 2016, 01:06pm
Post #361

QUOTE (angel @ 15th Jun 2016, 03:58pm) *
The city where it is against the law to be poor , some might find this interesting giving beggars socks instead of money .

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thesundayedition/l...-poor-1.2943469

There are many things can't be done with donations of "socks". Buying drugs, accumulating cash reserves, living a lifestyle of no work and no responsibility.

And before there is a question of hunger; how many charities are devoted to feeding the homeless, the destitute and the hungry? In a society where welfare attracts those migrants shopping around in France for the Great British lifestyle, ask yourself what is the attraction of U.K. over other European countries; generous to a fault unearned welfare.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
angel
post 19th Jun 2016, 07:53pm
Post #362

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
QUOTE (Talisman @ 19th Jun 2016, 01:06pm) *
There are many things can't be done with donations of "socks". Buying drugs, accumulating cash reserves, living a lifestyle of no work and no responsibility.

And before there is a question of hunger; how many charities are devoted to feeding the homeless, the destitute and the hungry? In a society where welfare attracts those migrants shopping around in France for the Great British lifestyle, ask yourself what is the attraction of U.K. over other European countries; generous to a fault unearned welfare.

I'm thinking Talisman ! that if the question of immigrants and probably refugees are the big concern regarding beggars on the city streets of Glasgow and elsewhere ,You should take that up with the Scottish Government , because , it is my understanding that Scotland is asked by the UK government if they will accept those people before they are sent to Scotland also along with the monies that are paid to help with the cost of supporting them until they can find employment . Whether that be gainful employment or otherwise , ! I for one don't know !

The reason for my post regarding Pan handing / begging in Toronto is to show that begging goes on all over this planet , not only in Glasgow and , also for what it is worth , begging has been going on in the UK/ Great Britain . since the 1500s as far as I Know .

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 19th Jun 2016, 08:03pm
Post #363

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,701
Aren't buskers just beggars with a musical accompaniment?
They've been around for a long time too.

+Quote Post
angel
post 19th Jun 2016, 08:18pm
Post #364

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Betsy2009 @ 19th Jun 2016, 08:03pm) *
Aren't buskers just beggars with a musical accompaniment?
They've been around for a long time too.

I don't know Betsy , but maybe if the beggars start singing and dancing ,.............. that just might change the attitude towards pan handlers .

--------------------
Pat.

+Quote Post
*Tally Rand*
post 21st Jun 2016, 10:14pm
Post #365

Buskers in my locality and in the city of Melbourne must go before a panel to be recognized as genuine street entertainers. They are then given a licence to perform their act. The ones that do not meet the criterion can be seen banging 3 stringed wooden instruments and howling about going from Wichita to Kentucky rolled up in a blanket with a dog called Bobby M'ghee. I.E. Beggars.

+Quote Post
wombat
post 21st Jun 2016, 11:02pm
Post #366

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
QUOTE (Tally Rand @ 21st Jun 2016, 10:14pm) *
Buskers in my locality and in the city of Melbourne must go before a panel to be recognized as genuine street entertainers. They are then given a licence to perform their act. The ones that do not meet the criterion can be seen banging 3 stringed wooden instruments and howling about going from Wichita to Kentucky rolled up in a blanket with a dog called Bobby M'ghee. I.E. Beggars.

tongue.gif
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
angel
post 22nd Jun 2016, 12:01am
Post #367

Mega City Key Holder
Here in Toronto , buskers must apply for a permit to busk , there is a Fee but I'm not sure of the cost , I would think that the same applies in Glasgow and probably in other cities . Also , there are some rules and regulations regarding the use of public property to deal with . and if those rules are not carried out by the buskers , they will be fined .

--------------------
Pat.

+Quote Post
*Backcauseway*
post 22nd Jun 2016, 04:06am
Post #368

Musical entertainment by street musicians. How on earth would one of these people playing that infernal violin with a horn attached ever get a buskers licence in any town! I have not seen the guy at Clydebank Shopping Centre for a while. He stood in the underpass next ASDA to help magnify the sound of what seemed like a dozen cats howling out of tune.

+Quote Post
*Tally Rand*
post 22nd Jun 2016, 08:30am
Post #369

QUOTE (angel @ 22nd Jun 2016, 12:01am) *
Here in Toronto , buskers must apply for a permit to busk ,
there is a Fee but I'm not sure of the cost ,
I would think that the same applies in Glasgow and probably
in other cities .also , there are some rules and regulations
regarding the use of public property to deal with . and
if those rules are not carried out by the buskers , they will be fined .

I have just read an old article in the Sunday Post describing a beggar with a card scanner to take donations from credit cards and other methods of electronic funds transfers. This was also reported as taking place in London.

You have to hand it to those "beggars" preparing themselves for the "cashless society". Has this raised its' ugly head in Toronto???

+Quote Post
angel
post 22nd Jun 2016, 12:07pm
Post #370

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Tally Rand @ 22nd Jun 2016, 08:30am) *
I have just read an old article in the Sunday Post describing a beggar with a card scanner to take donations from credit cards and other methods of electronic funds transfers. This was also reported as taking place in London.

You have to hand it to those "beggars" preparing themselves for the "cashless society". Has this raised its' ugly head in Toronto???

I have read about the cashless society but I don't know if there are beggars who use this system , but I'm thinking that a card scanner may help some beggars from being mugged .

I did however read about a man who tells the beggar that he only has a dollar bill and does he " i.e beggar " have change . smile.gif

--------------------
Pat.

+Quote Post
carmella
post 22nd Jun 2016, 11:23pm
Post #371

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
Not everyone who begs is poor, some of those 'poor beggars' are making a fortune by pretense, then going back to their homes at the end of the day.

Very few of the beggars do it because they have no other choice. I never take what I see at face value, because there are some hellish good actors around.

--------------------
Silence is a true friend who never betrays.

Confucius - Chinese Philosopher - [551bc-479bc]

+Quote Post
*Talisman*
post 24th Jun 2016, 09:10am
Post #372

QUOTE (carmella @ 22nd Jun 2016, 11:23pm) *
Not everyone who begs is poor, some of those 'poor beggars' are making a fortune by pretense, then going back to their homes at the end of the day.

Very few of the beggars do it because they have no other choice. I never take what I see at face value, because there are some hellish good actors around.

I can only at this time give figures from England, although I have seen reports in extracts of Scottish newspapers, of a begging epidemic in Glasgow scaring visitors and discouraging tourism, where according to Thames Reach, a charity involved in providing shelter and rehabilitating the homeless, that 80% of all street beggars are using begging to supplement their ability to access class A drugs. They also assert that the majority of money going to beggars goes straight to the maintenance and spreading of the drug trade.

This I would say is a prime example of "negative" good. They also maintain that 60% or more of all street beggars have homes to go to at the end of the day. And as this charity is primarily geared to providing for genuine homeless and bereft, they are not happy at beggars who beg to supplement their social security payments to promote the drug trade.

I don't give out internet addresses for obvious security reasons (I.E. danger of accessing an unacknowledged site) but if you look up article pertaining to Thames Reach; drugs you will be given the facts. Mainly for England.

+Quote Post
carmella
post 28th Jun 2016, 07:49pm
Post #373

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
Thank you for your reply. I do know that some beg because they feel they have no other choice, but I have also heard stories from credible sources, that there are people who don't need to beg at all because they live in nice homes and drive nice cars etc. they find their pitch and pretend to be begging, easy money and I know this to be true.
I don't wish to cast doubt on the 'real' people who need to beg, if that's what they have to do to survive then that's what they have to do.

--------------------
Silence is a true friend who never betrays.

Confucius - Chinese Philosopher - [551bc-479bc]

+Quote Post
Rab
post 1st Jul 2016, 10:09pm
Post #374

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,266
My Mammy used to call me a cheeky wee beggar. At least I think that's what she called me! laugh.gif

--------------------
Back to using my original name... Rab

+Quote Post
*Talisman*
post 4th Jul 2016, 02:26pm
Post #375

QUOTE (Rab @ 1st Jul 2016, 10:09pm) *
My Mammy used to call me a cheeky wee beggar. At least I think that's what she called me! laugh.gif

Had you lived in Guvin you would have been aware that it had nothing to do with "Beggar"!

+Quote Post

25 Pages V  « < 23 24 25
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Oct 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.