Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

16 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> No Butts... We're Not Coming Back!, Canadian tourists shun Glasgow
Jupiter
post 28th Jul 2011, 10:47am
Post #46

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Bilbo you are absolutely correct.Legislation has changed dramatically since I was a lad!
Joop.
As another poster suggests there is a big problem with litter and dogs dirt.It is as though many people have no civic pride.
I saw a novel thing in Kyoto and it was myriads of small cans with a bit of string creating a handle and hanging from various things in the street and they were used extensively for cig butts.Simple but effective means of helping the environment.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
droschke7
post 28th Jul 2011, 11:06am
Post #47

Lord Provost
Member No.: 128
after googling this I found out that if the Canadian Lady had done the same thing at in Ontario she would had an on the spot fine of $C 110 and if she's done it from a moving car , would also have points put on to her license. so why are they so suprised and complaining thar they'll never come back? ar they not going home either? BTW the fine in California for the same offence is $500.

+Quote Post
d.c.
post 28th Jul 2011, 11:11am
Post #48

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 19
I see these wardens in Glasgow city centre on an almost daily basis, and it is blatantly obvious that they only ever pick on easy targets, usually females. I have never yet seen them challenge a ned, who might stand up to them or probably just give them false details. If they see an appropriate looking victim coming towards them who has almost reached the end of their fag, they will allow that person to pass by before turning around and following them down the street to see if they might be lucky enough to catch them dropping the butt. If the person is brave enough to stand up to their bullying and aggressive attitude, pointing out the neds all around who are discarding butts, buckfast bottles, chewing gum, etc., they just call for back up from another pair of wardens until the victim is bullied into submission by all four of them. Yes, they have a job to do and we all want Glasgow to be a cleaner place, but they should be much fairer in how they choose and deal with their victims. They need to stop being cowardly in who they select, and stop being bullies once they have selected them. I wouldn't want to tar all of them with the same brush, but most of them just seem to be neds in uniforms.

+Quote Post
grannymo
post 28th Jul 2011, 11:25am
Post #49

Unpacking
Member No.: 9,007
Visiting Erlangen, Germany, looked like a film set with no litter on the streets. Come lunchtime, everyone bought lunch from take-aways. End of lunchtime, no litter on the streets as young or old they dropped the takeaway containers/bags/etc straight in the litter bins.

Seeing completely clear and clean streets even after a lunchtime with crowds of schoolkids, office workers, local inhabitants all munching on kebabs, burgers, sandwiches yet no sign on the pavement to suggest there had been anyone there eating lunch left me feeling completely gobsmacked. Talking to the citizens there, they take a pride in their city and not just for its culture, heritage but also to the extent of keeping streets clean. Why can't we do the same? Glasgow is fond of promoting its own culture and history. Isn't it time we too, extended this to keeping our streets clean?

+Quote Post
stratson
post 28th Jul 2011, 11:51am
Post #50

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
Personally I am sick of litter strewn streets. As far as this Mrs Turner was concerned, being a visitor to Glasgow, a warning would have been sufficient as she would possibly not be aware of law.

Just an afterthought, my Dad used to say, "Ladies do not smoke in the street." He died in 1956. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 28th Jul 2011, 11:56am
Post #51

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,936
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 28th Jul 2011, 08:06am) *
Bilbo,if you were unaware that there was a bye law in force and contravened it then I would suggest you would have a good defence.

Would the legal premise

" Ignorance of the law excuses no man "

not apply ?

I detest litter louts but a warning to a " Tourist" would have been appropriate .

Locals have no excuse.

Hang them.

--------------------
You don't need a weatherman
To know which way the wind blows

+Quote Post
Elizabeth H
post 28th Jul 2011, 12:00pm
Post #52

Settling In
Member No.: 5,577
These people are obviously not doing the job they are employed for.

I visit Glasgow regularly, at all times of the day, and if they want to fine people they only have to visit the steps of the Glasgow Concert Hall which would make them a fortune for the Council by issuing fines to all the litter louts who sit on the stairs eating take away meals, then dump their litter where they sit. Not only is it a disgrace, it is an eyesore. I have never seen, nor heard of anyone approach them, to issue a fine.

I have overheard tourists remark on how badly kept such a beautiful area in central Glasgow is being destroyed by being covered with litter. My son's graduation was held in the Concert Hall which was early on a Saturday morning, the place was covered with food litter with pigeon's and sea gulls eating the remains, it was almost impossible to take photo's outside. By early afternoon Buchanan Street was packed with people and still no attempt had been made to clear the mess.

To the canadians, do not be put off by people whom authority has gone to their head, you should know if you visit Scotland regularly there are a lot of nice people amongst us.

Haste ye back!

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 28th Jul 2011, 12:04pm
Post #53

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Grannymo, I found that to be the norm in just about every German city and I first started to visit this country around '73. Unfortunately since the influx of the various east European nationals things have changed a bit - they obviously haven't been raised with the same respect for their surroundings. Having said that, the youth from the school across the road from us have been going "green" for a few years now ... they dump their plastic bottles, fag-packets and tetrapac containers in our three meter high hedge. rolleyes.gif
Like I mentioned in an earlier post, when Mary and I were at the Zoo in Basel yesterday we were reluctant to even light up because there was no indication that anyone was smoking there.
When in Rome ...
I imagine the Canadian visitors were just following suit on a littered Glasgow street.

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 28th Jul 2011, 12:24pm
Post #54

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
Furst there was the complaint about too much trash lying on the streets of Glasgow, now the complaint of the butts lying around the streets.The only way people will pick up after themselves is when it hurts the pocket (tough love) and being fined the price of a packet of fags wont do it , warnings dont wurk so being hit with 100pounds fine will,,,, I mean do you want Glasgows streets clean or what !.

+Quote Post
Empty
post 28th Jul 2011, 12:25pm
Post #55

Unpacking
Member No.: 11,271
I think we're in danger of missing the point here. She shouldn't have dropped the ciggie butt in the first place.

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 28th Jul 2011, 12:48pm
Post #56

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Dylan you are correct,I got it wrong and was thinking about another legal term.
Cheers
Joop rolleyes.gif
Empty welcome to the boards....enjoy!

+Quote Post
gpn160
post 28th Jul 2011, 12:59pm
Post #57

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,650
I see the results of the vote is in favour of a warning.

Littering is a deliberate act, not an accident. If the vistor/s parked their car and ended up with a parking ticket, would the be asking for a warning?

For littering, it has to be a fine, every time.

+Quote Post
proudmaryhiller
post 28th Jul 2011, 01:20pm
Post #58

City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,432
Here in Maryhill the litter problem is chronic, when I go out with my dog and come across any I'll pick up and dispose of it. I actually contacted the City Council about the litter in certain streets but I would have been as well to talk to the man in the moon rolleyes.gif

The Glasgow Evening Times is currently running a scheme "Streets Ahead" where communities can get together and clean up their areas, I would quite like to do this too, but getting volunteers together, well that's another story!

--------------------
"I belong to Glasgow"

+Quote Post
dot21
post 28th Jul 2011, 02:11pm
Post #59

Settling In
Member No.: 5,381
I think a warning would have been acceptable, anyway don't people know you can buy small ashtrays, that fit into your bag or pocket so there is no need for butts to be thrown on the ground.

+Quote Post
frame
post 28th Jul 2011, 02:51pm
Post #60

Super Visitor
Member No.: 2,486
I think most of the comments made here are spot on. There's no unbiased consistency with these litter wardens. They probably have targets to adhere to and as such endeavor to fill them as quickly, and with as little risk to themselves as possible. One has only to look at any uk city street at any given time to know that people are dropping litter, either by accident or design. My feeling is that these champions of clean environments are looking for the safe options i.e. A couple of girls, a weak looking guy, an elderly couple or a woman with pram and walking children. And therein lies the complete criminal fraternity, in their feeble and shameful thinking anyway. The idea of keeping our cities litter free is a capital idea as long as the low foreheads and "hard men" are targeted too.

--------------------
speed bonny boat

+Quote Post

16 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.