Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

8 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Beautiful Game, Made In Scotland
Isobel
post 5th Jun 2004, 12:21pm
Post #46

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
For anyone interested in the ladies soccer, Canada and the US ladies under nineteen have both qualified for the word cup.Pretty good going .They both did very well last time around. Wondered if Scotland or England have any ladies teams.

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
iancameron
post 5th Jun 2004, 08:50pm
Post #47

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 463
Scotland and England have womens teams, and England will host the UEFA Cup in 2005

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 12th Jun 2004, 02:42pm
Post #48

Mega City Key Holder
Well I guess for the next wee while I will be an English fan with my husband. He will be glued to the TV tomorrow for the world cup game. I wish Scotland had made it. Who do you think will be the big winners this time?

--------------------

+Quote Post
iancameron
post 12th Jun 2004, 07:46pm
Post #49

Mega City Key Holder
A good outsider is the Czech Republic, at the moment they are 14/1, I,v got 20 on them, plus 20 for France to beat England 2-1.

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 12th Jun 2004, 08:54pm
Post #50

Mega City Key Holder
Good god you come from the same neck of the woods as my inlaws, they are from Exmouth,Devon. Surprised you are not supporting England.That was quite something Greece winning over Portugal.I hate for you to lose your 20 but sorry Ian I must root for the boys. rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
hubert
post 13th Jun 2004, 12:56am
Post #51

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 31
Well I am off to a flying start I picked on another fitba forum, for Portugal to win it!
About the England/France game, may the better team win! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
weementor
post 13th Jun 2004, 11:38am
Post #52

Super Resident
Member No.: 41
SPL hatch Euro scheme
Plans to field Scottish sides in a European league have resurfaced in a scheme that would see top SPL teams leave the domestic league at Christmas.
"We're trying to develop a league that would start in January and would include the top two or three from our league," said SPL chairman Lex Gold.
"We would run separate competitions. It would be a split where they would play from here but in another league."
Holland, Belgium, Portugal, Norway and Denmark are said to be interested.
"We are still in there trying to influence Uefa in terms of European competitions," added Gold.
"The teams playing in Europe would still participate in the Scottish Cup and League Cup," continued Gold.
"And at the beginning of the season they would revert to the domestic league and start again.
"Obviously there are complications. We've had good relations with the Dutch and the Belgians but the Dutch league is now doing better than it was and they are slightly less outward looking than they were, though they're still approachable. So there's work to be done there.
"Scandinavia also have set up a separate competition outwith Uefa just now, which makes it more difficult, but Uefa are still interested in this as a form of pilot.
"I always said my variant on the Atlantic League was to have a pilot study based on the northern leagues and Portugal which should be done under the Uefa umbrella."
Whats your views on the latest

Story from BBC SPORT:

--------------------
weementor......Neilston Village, Scotland

+Quote Post
iancameron
post 13th Jun 2004, 12:07pm
Post #53

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Isobel @ 12th Jun 2004, 10:11 PM)
Good god you come from the same neck of the woods as my inlaws, they are from Exmouth,Devon. Surprised you are not supporting England.That was quite something Greece winning over Portugal.I hate for you to lose your 20 but sorry Ian I must root for the boys. rolleyes.gif

Im afraid Im a die hard Isobel, I can still remember the home internationals. And in a more serious note, I do not think England have got a good enough team to do any good in this competition, but I do think they will fair very well in the next world cup, when a lot of their younger player will have a bit more experience.

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 13th Jun 2004, 04:40pm
Post #54

Mega City Key Holder
Ian you sound like Jim .He is always the optimist, a real die hard fan. He feels the English side would be very lucky to go very far in this competition but he will be glued to the TV. cheering them on.If they dont make it he will still watch all the other games he is just a real sports fan.

--------------------

+Quote Post
iancameron
post 13th Jun 2004, 09:09pm
Post #55

Mega City Key Holder
England had a good 50 minutes of the game then ran out of steam, but all in all a good game, plus I beat the bookie.
On Scottish teams joining a european league I think its a great idea, the more different styles of football, the better for the national team. I would also like to see an under 19s european league.

+Quote Post
Kaz61
post 13th Jun 2004, 09:19pm
Post #56

Lord Provost
Member No.: 87
Way-to-go iancameron 2-1 it was cool.gif

Never seen the game...working

canny wait tae see the highlights

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 14th Jun 2004, 02:30am
Post #57

Mega City Key Holder
Ian Im glad you didn't lose your money but I thought England really had it in the bag. Could not believe it two goals in the extra time.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 14th Jun 2004, 02:39am
Post #58

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
Oh well..................... laugh.gif

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...

+Quote Post
iancameron
post 14th Jun 2004, 07:45am
Post #59

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Isobel @ 14th Jun 2004, 03:47 AM)
Ian Im glad you didn't lose your money but I thought England really had it in the bag. Could not believe it two goals in the extra time.

Yes England did do well Isobel, but thats as good as they can get, Owen had a bad game and Scholes ( who I think is the best player england have got ) ran out of steam. And putting Hesky on was the nail in the coffin, even arbroath would,nt take him for free. I think the group winners will be- Spain,France,Italy and Czech Republic, the runners up- Greece, England, Sweden and Germany.
biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
whyteinch
post 14th Jun 2004, 08:10am
Post #60

Special Visitor
Member No.: 43
Yes weementor I would give it my support.
It involves the top two teams in the SPL, invariably Rangers and Celtic, going off to form the new league midway through the domestic season along with 12 other teams from Belgium, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Portugal and Holland although it is believed the Dutch are cooling on the plan. The rest of the clubs left in the SPL would compete for the domestic championship without the Old Firm for the rest of the season with the winners gaining automatic qualification to the UEFA Cup.

--------------------
whyteinch

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Nov 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.