Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Glaswegian, ...sort of...
junioroz
post 24th Oct 2005, 12:12pm
Post #1

Unpacking
Member No.: 2,511
I arrived in Glasgow around 3 months ago to be with my Glaswegian fiancee. First impression of the city is the beauty of the old buildings, Second impression is amazement at the propensity to knock them down.
I was talking to someone about the re-development along the clyde near the west-end. The older buildings have been demolished to put up more modern and attractive buildings to attract tourists. I think that they have it mixed up. When people come to Glasgow, they want to visit attractions that are Glaswegian. Moving the Transport Museum from an old historic building into a new purpose-built facility smacks of irony.
Finally, I think that people of Glasgow should look at the city through fresh eyes. Its an absolutely beautiful city, and one worth being proud of.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Melody
post 24th Oct 2006, 07:42am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Junioroz how right you are. A joke about Glasgow is ' It'll be lovely when it's finished'. Always in a state of change that's us. At least thank goodness we still have some of the most beautiful architecture in the world to admire. smile.gif

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 15th Nov 2006, 06:14pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
biggrin.gif We migrated to Australia when my daughter was 2, when we took her back 3 yrs ago she was in awe of the architecture especialy westend,loved the transport museum,Glasgow uni,art gallery & asked us why would you want to leave such beuty?

The truth for me stung,my kids were the reason I moved as I felt they would have more chances here(which they have iam sure) yes I enjoyed it yes i love scotland but it wasnt a place of security & the politics etc drove us nuts,poll tax coal&steele industries going down the gurgler etc. Many scotts leave & settle well in other countries but no one can shake the Glasgow out of us nor can they remove our accents haha as my wee motto states. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 24th Jul 2009, 12:49am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
My great grandmother was the first to come to Glasgow, she came on her own and left her
husband ( my g/gfather )to tie up loose ends in Tipparary Ireland. She had no childern
at this time . I am told that she left Ireland due to starvation. Her husband fowlled
within a few months, by this time she had found a nice home in Maryhill, Lochburn Rd actually.
She had all of her childern in that wee house, my uncle Jim, my grandmother Norah,
my aunt Lizzy, Betty and Alice Mulcahy . My uncle Jim worked for Bell the coal man.
They never did make it back to Ireland, never could afford the trip.
My great grand parents are now resting in St Kentegerns catholic cemetery.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 24th Jul 2009, 11:13am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
GL: my brother-in-law, Jimmy Bell, was a coal man.

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 25th Jul 2009, 01:11am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
Tee it is a small world, I am sure that your brother in law was/is the same Jimmy Bell
who delivered the coal to my grannys house and then to my mothers home also.
My uncle Jim had this job for yrs, but he paid the price with serious back problems in later years.
Cheers, Lass. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ruchill Tavern
post 11th Aug 2009, 05:42pm
Post #7

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,311
unsure.gif mad.gif I go with Junioroz in that these planning "geeks" are destroying the Glasgow even I knew, when I came in 1982. Done a staffing post in Stobhill Hospital for a year & then transferred to Ruchill as a Nurse Supervisor. How I loved that hospital, the architecture both inside & out particulary the "Nurses' home & recreation hall. Brick built & absolutely Victorian (apart from the utility TB wards on the Panmure St. side). To give an example, there were originally 12 gardeners to look after the lovely grounds with a head gardener known as "Crazy Joe" & who at that time ,lived in the wee end cottage on the east side of the entrance. In 1992 there was ONE there who also butchered other sites. I beg you to look at the site now on Google Earth & the destruction & desolation since it was closed down.
I now reside in Campbeltown but keep abreast of the news from the places I loved then..Bilsland Drive...Possilpark....Ruchill St....The Firhill Stadium.....Ruchill Park......The Golf Course (now desolated)....Maryhill....The Maryhill Locks & on up to Canniesburn & Bearsden....Springburn (& don't mention "speaker" Martin)... etc.,etc., By walking through Ruchill Park & behind the Firhill stadium, you could access the canal & after a twenty minute saunter, you were down to just above Cowcaddens. A visit then to China Town & on to Sauchiehall St. & the Savoy Centre & what an experience.
My biggest regret now is leaving Glasgow but would I like the "new" concept visualised by "geeks" who have no regard for History & what it means. There is only one Glasgow to me & it is my memories of when I arrived there...................Regards.

+Quote Post
andypisces
post 11th Aug 2009, 06:56pm
Post #8

City Key Holder
Member No.: 21
och ruchill you are speaking of my childhood haunts. Born and bred in springbank st. Lived there till i was 19. Quite a wee while ago mind you. Still some nice walks along the canal from firhill road up to maryhill locks and beyond. I do it evrytime i am home. I also love to go up to the flagpole in ruchill park and look out over everywhere you have spoken of....Cheers ....Andy

+Quote Post
27stowst
post 11th Aug 2009, 10:42pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,716
Hi Ruchill Tavern. My Daddy was in Ruchill hospital with T.B late 60's early 70's. Also my big brother when he had pneumonia about '65. Ah yes I remember it well. biggrin.gif Welcome tae the boards. Attached Image

--------------------
Slainte Mhor

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.