Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

20 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Drumchapel
Lennox
post 2nd Dec 2007, 03:55am
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,288
anyone have any photo's of Jedworth Ave, my aunty lived at number 52, on the right on the bottom, we thought she was loaded cos she had a front varanda , that opened up into a front garden, there was also a "wood area' just at the end of the road, I fell down there and cut my hand had to have 5 stiches in my "ring finger", all for some blue bells .

Loved the photo's Duke, ,& welcome to GG biggrin.gif

--------------------

You don't have to live next door, to be a friend !
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
celtic-chic67
post 2nd Dec 2007, 03:51pm
Post #17

City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,040
lennox my mum stayed in no.40 jedworth ave when she was a wee lassie
she had the big corner garden.

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 2nd Dec 2007, 04:53pm
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,288
I am not sure how those closes, ran ? but I do remember a big corner garden.

--------------------

You don't have to live next door, to be a friend !

+Quote Post
The Duke of Drum...
post 3rd Dec 2007, 12:03am
Post #19

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,182
Arndale / Drumchapel Shopping Centre Businesses in 1971

I was thinking about the shop names and buildings in and around The Drumchapel Shopping Centre or The Arndale Shopping Centre as it was originally known as, and tried to remember it from 1971, as that was the year l left school and started work and happens to be the year that the reference book l bought was printed. It lists every street in Glasgow and shows the householders name and address number, which helped me remember who my neighbours were in 1971. It also lists every business in Glasgow, not just Drumchapel. I came up with these shops and related buildings including their address numbers. Hope this jogs your memory, l know it jogged mine as half of them l had forgotten about.

Kinfauns Drive:
D. Whitfield, service station
51 Gowans Ltd, bakers
59 A. F .Reid & Sons Ltd, bakers
61 F. W. Woolworth & Co. Ltd, departmental store
63 John Menzies & Co Ltd, booksellers
65 Boots the Chemists
67 Cooper & Co Stores Ltd, grocer
71 Munro Cleaners Ltd, Laundrette and drycleaners
73 Birrell Ltd, confectioners
75 S. Docherty, butchers
77 Sperber’s, drapers
79 Malcolm Campbell Ltd, fruiters
81 B. A. Reith Ophthalmic Optician
83 City Bakeries Ltd
85 British Linen Bank

Dunkenny Square:
50 D & S Crawford Ltd, bakers
48 Scottish Gas Board
24 Andrew Cochrane Ltd, grocer
20 True-Form Boot Co Ltd, boot & shoe dealers
16 James Grant & Co (West) Ltd, house furnishers
10 Gordons (Tandem Shoes Ltd), boot and shoe dealers
4 Radio Rentals Television Rentals Ltd
4a Kay’s, hairdressers
4c Drumchapel Discount Stores
2 D. Sawyers, fruiters
5 Clydebank Co-op Society Ltd
9 Clydebank Co-op Society Ltd
21 House of Clydesdale Ltd, house furnishers
25 Norport, fishmongers
27 Clydebank Co-op Society Ltd
29 G. D. Boddie (Chemist) Ltd
31 D. McKellar & Sons Ltd, butchers
33 Bowie-Castlebank, laundrette and dry cleaners
37 British Relay Ltd, television rental company
39 Crown Wallpapers, wallpaper dealers
41 Malone Shoe Repair Service Ltd,
43 Gall & Co (Cash Drapers) Ltd, draper
45 British Bata Shoe C Ltd, boot and shoe dealer
47 Kyle Paints Ltd, household paints
49 Ure Food Store, grocer
49 Bairds, departmental store
The public underground toilet was located at the bottom of Dunkenny Square between Clydebank Co-op and D. Sawyers, fruiters

Hecla Ave:
73 Glasgow Corporation (Housing Management Dept, Rent Office)
65 Drumchapel District Library
15 The Butty Bar
9 The Butty Off-Sales
5 Savings Bank of Glasgow

Hecla Place
Post Office and Sorting Office

+Quote Post
celtic-chic67
post 3rd Dec 2007, 12:55am
Post #20

City Key Holder
hi duke, I remember most of the shop's you listed,it used tae be a great wee shopping centre.
the last time I was there it was like a ghost town.

+Quote Post
The Duke of Drum...
post 3rd Dec 2007, 01:03pm
Post #21

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,182
I forgot to mention that the reason none of the upper shops in the shopping centre were mentioned was because they were part of phase 2 of the shopping centre build, an area that had not been developed yet. To my knowledge this land is owned by David Murray, chairman of Rangers F.C.

The top of the shopping centre (beyond Bairds, later Arnotts) was phase 2 of the shopping centre build, so shops like Sellyens, Mackays, The Print Shop, Bookies, Off sales, Golden Garter, The Hills Hotel / Rigg Public Bar, Ronaldo's Chippy and The Girnin Gates Pub would not have been built until late 1971 or 72. Presto Supermarket and the Bingo hall were built even later, possibly mid to late 70's. For those of us old enough to remember, you may recall that the 'Shows' used to set up on the land occupied by Presto and the Bingo hall, other years they would set up between Drumchapel Swimming baths and the old BT building on Drumry Road

When l have time l will try and get a complete list of the businesses that occupied Drumchapel Shopping Centre and upload them to this thread.

see ya,

The Duke of Drumchapel

+Quote Post
*wee Gibby Lees*
post 4th Dec 2007, 04:49pm
Post #22

So , where are the Bluebells at jedworth ? i grew up on Summerhill road from 1968 ,im now in Flori-duh and hating it ! i dont remember blue bells there , up the woods aye ,, and the guy before you had a list of shops ? Fine Fare ? that was next door to sperbers ! if anyone knew and liked me they can contact me at GIBSOL68@AOL.COM

+Quote Post
celtic-chic67
post 9th Dec 2007, 10:44am
Post #23

City Key Holder
hi wee gibby,what no. in summerhill road did you stay ? I lived in 112 above the shops,
then 115 years later.my nana & granda walker stayed in 116 above the shops also. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
tombro
post 8th Jan 2008, 10:52am
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
Hi there !

Can we go a bit earlier in Drumchapel ? Tom Brown is the name and we moved to Drumchapel from Possil, I think, in late '55 early '56. Lived at 17 Airgold Drive with Mum, Dad and brother Joe and went to St Sixtus School, starting at the Ledmore Drive Annexe.

Remember lots of fantastic times, especially during the long summer days, and have lots of great memories. Given we relied on the Co-op Bus for gorceries most of the time: one set of shops was at the top of Achamore Road somewhere and the other way up beyond Cally Avenue and off Kinfauns Drive; we survived. I do remember going shopping at the latter with Mum early on Friday mornings and stiil not being late for school !

Loved trips into Glasgow on the Number 9 or Number 20 bus, usually every Saturday to visit Gran in Anderston and shop at Lewis' before jumping on the tram and heading out to Parkhead to watch a game. Sometimes Mum and Dad would change the routine and we'd catch a 'Blue Bus' or even get a 'Red Bus" to Clydebank and catch a tram to Anderston !

In 1960 my parents decided that Australia was the place to be and now, 47 years later, I'm trying to make contact with my roots.

Love to hear from anyone from the 'Drum' and look forward to posting more of my Drumchapel memories in the future.

Regards

Tom Brown

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !

+Quote Post
*Dizzylizzy*
post 9th May 2008, 12:27am
Post #25

I was born in my parents' bedroom in June, 1958. I stayed in the same house till we left in 1978. I went to St. Sixtus Primary and St. Pius Secondary.
My memories of growing up in Drumchapel are the happiest anyone could ever hope for. Our street, Kilcloy Ave, was a really good one. My school was right opposite so the walk to the school in the morning wasn't exactly taxing! Our neighbours became life long friends - fortunately most of the families who had moved into our street in 1955 (I mean the Mums and Dads) were more or less the same age. Therefore when I came into the world, lots of other babies were also born. So, I was never lonely, always lots of kids in the street playing. I know people always say we tend to look back through rose coloured glasses but I honestly don't think that's the case with me. My childhood was fantastic, mainly of course because I had a wonderful Mum and Dad and brothers but also because I was fortunate to grow up in Drumchapel.

+Quote Post
tombro
post 11th May 2008, 10:56am
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
To Dizzy Lizzy !

Great to hear someone else expressing fond memories of 'the Drum' in the early days. Even though we came to Australia in 1960 I still have lots of memories of great times in Drumchapel, including my maroon school uniform from St Sixtus.

Regards,
Tombro rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !

+Quote Post
big al
post 11th May 2008, 05:31pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 42
I lived in Drummore Road with the Bluebell Woods just behind us - it was a marvellous place for growing up in - fresh air, open countryside, your own bedroom. bathroom and inside toilets - wow.....

--------------------
That'll be the day........

+Quote Post
Kirkcaldy exile
post 12th May 2008, 07:49pm
Post #28

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,685
QUOTE (Lennox @ 2nd Dec 2007, 04:45 AM) *
anyone have any photo's of Jedworth Ave, my aunty lived at number 52, on the right on the bottom, we thought she was loaded cos she had a front varanda , that opened up into a front garden, there was also a "wood area' just at the end of the road, I fell down there and cut my hand had to have 5 stiches in my "ring finger", all for some blue bells .

Loved the photo's Duke, ,& welcome to GG biggrin.gif

Hi Celtchic, your name (or your Mum's name) must have been Catherine or Rachael Walker, I used to live next door,( a wee fat laddie called Bobby,) Rab Forbes, Alistair McDougal, Yvonne Owens all lived up the stairs.

+Quote Post
*MICKEYW*
post 4th Jun 2008, 12:20am
Post #29

i have a bebo page on drumchapel called drumchapellifesofar if you fancy a browse to the past biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
*Guest shirley **
post 18th Jul 2008, 11:26am
Post #30

QUOTE (tombro @ 8th Jan 2008, 10:52 AM) *
Hi there !

Can we go a bit earlier in Drumchapel ? Tom Brown is the name and we moved to Drumchapel from Possil, I think, in late '55 early '56. Lived at 17 Airgold Drive with Mum, Dad and brother Joe and went to St Sixtus School, starting at the Ledmore Drive Annexe.

Remember lots of fantastic times, especially during the long summer days, and have lots of great memories. Given we relied on the Co-op Bus for gorceries most of the time: one set of shops was at the top of Achamore Road somewhere and the other way up beyond Cally Avenue and off Kinfauns Drive; we survived. I do remember going shopping at the latter with Mum early on Friday mornings and stiil not being late for school !

Loved trips into Glasgow on the Number 9 or Number 20 bus, usually every Saturday to visit Gran in Anderston and shop at Lewis' before jumping on the tram and heading out to Parkhead to watch a game. Sometimes Mum and Dad would change the routine and we'd catch a 'Blue Bus' or even get a 'Red Bus" to Clydebank and catch a tram to Anderston !

In 1960 my parents decided that Australia was the place to be and now, 47 years later, I'm trying to make contact with my roots.

Love to hear from anyone from the 'Drum' and look forward to posting more of my Drumchapel memories in the future.

Regards

Tom Brown

hi

hi tom i stayed in drummore road just at the blue bell woods like you i cant remember the bluebell woods in jedworth

+Quote Post

20 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Apr 2014

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.