Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

12 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> People Make Glasgow, New slogan for the city
GG
post 28th Jun 2013, 06:50am
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
We are routinely ignored by politicians in the city (except around election time), but today council leader Gordon Matheson unveiled a new city slogan which uses the people of Glasgow as its focus. Millions of pounds will be spent over the next few years promoting the city as 'People Make Glasgow', including 500,000 in the first year alone.

Politicians will be hoping that the new slogan proves to be even more popular than the Glasgow's Miles Better tagline which was launched 30 years ago this week, and which many Glaswegians would have liked to see return.

On launching the new slogan, Mr Matheson, who has come in for much criticism recently for his handling of the George Square revamp fiasco, said:
"It's bold, friendly, confident, and it evokes a real sense of pride. The people of Glasgow are at the heart of this brand - we have created something which presents a truly distinctive identity for the city and on behalf of Glasgow I would like to warmly thank all those who gave their ideas so generously."

What do YOU think of the new city slogan?

Attached Image

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Jim 1888*
post 28th Jun 2013, 07:38am
Post #2

Perhaps it's the wrong question. I think it is good but I voted against because the old slogan could never be beaten!

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 28th Jun 2013, 07:45am
Post #3

500,000 is a huge amount to spend on the tag line promotion - so spend it wisely and please spread the money amongst more design / advertising / marketing companies rather than the usual few.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 28th Jun 2013, 07:51am
Post #4

Would've been better if Jolly Boy John was in the picture and it read
People Make Glasgow FOR REAL!!!

+Quote Post
*ronnie a*
post 28th Jun 2013, 08:01am
Post #5

What's a pop concert to promote Glasgow never, bring back "GLASGOW'S MILE'S BETTER " and Mr SMILEY biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 28th Jun 2013, 08:55am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
It never fails to amaze me the manner in which these two bob politicians can throw public money about with trivial ***** (please excuse my language but its the only word appropriate) like this.
I can name one or two places where money could be better spent eg adult learning support centres closing,public parks lying derelict as budgets are transferred to the 3rd class games,potholes.
Slogans what a pot of ****.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 28th Jun 2013, 09:03am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (Guest @ 28th Jun 2013, 07:59am) *
Would've been better if Jolly Boy John was in the picture and it read
People Make Glasgow FOR REAL!!!

laugh.gif

I have to agree with Jim 1888 that "Miles Better" could never be beaten, and the "Glasgow, Scotland with style was just rubbish.

+Quote Post
*Bill Irv*
post 28th Jun 2013, 09:04am
Post #8

"Glasgow - It's no Edinburgh"

+Quote Post
CAT
post 28th Jun 2013, 09:13am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,390
Blood boiling again angry.gif I understand the need to market ourselves around the world but seriously is this the best they can come up with. Does any one know the company resposible for this tosh are they a Glasgow based company. Who is their target market with this one seems to me it's directed at those who are looking for party city going by this one add.
I pay a lot of money every month in council tax and have said before I would be happy to pay an increase if the money was well spent starting with getting the essential services the funding which is so desparatly needed.
Based on this and the George square fiasco I WANT A REFUND ! Why are the people of Glasgow so happy to vote these people in time and time again. If I had the brains I would start my own party and to borrow something from this slogan it would be The Real Glasgow Peoples Party.
Mr Mathieson Get Real.
Oh no I'm ranting again laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Jim D
post 28th Jun 2013, 09:13am
Post #10

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 91
I think "People Make Glasgow" is a decent slogan.

The "Glasgows Miles Better" was great, as was the Mr Smiley but it did not come for nothing. The rights for the Mr Smiley logo cost a great deal of money, so 500,000 is a reasonable cost if spent wisely. Especially with the Commonwealth Games next year and all the other event they are currently competing to host.

--------------------
Jim D

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit - NO man is at all hours wise.

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 28th Jun 2013, 09:16am
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,194
Council makes Glasgow reel. I much prefer the campaign by Kevin Bridges who after trying out 'wee mental Davy' and many other ideas finally selected Andy - apprentice joiner as the real face of Glasgow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpIKEw7WaJI...be_gdata_player

+Quote Post
*Les Hami*
post 28th Jun 2013, 09:56am
Post #12

go back to Mr Smilley logo and "Miles better" everyone knows Thats Glasgow!!!!!

+Quote Post
chas1937
post 28th Jun 2013, 10:08am
Post #13

Special Visitor
Member No.: 10,795
Think the City Council need a kick up the backside as haven't a clue when it comes to doing anything with just the latest fiasco.Glasgow's Miles Better was fine so why did they need too change it same as Mr Smiley that was best one ever

+Quote Post
**greta**
post 28th Jun 2013, 10:16am
Post #14

Much prefer the previous slogan, wonder how many man hours and brains it has taken to think up this "simple" thing.

+Quote Post
partick boy
post 28th Jun 2013, 10:30am
Post #15

Settling In
Member No.: 10,952
Perhaps the council should have asked the people of Glasgow: "WHAT is the BEST thing about Glasgow?" Answers in no more than five words, please.
The slogan offered by Gordon Matheson suggests that only people make Glasgow the great city that it is. But there is much, much more to Glasgow than just its people, brilliant characters though they are, every one.
So, come on, Glaswegians, thinking caps on. Let's see if YOU can find that one-off slogan that really captures WHAT is REALLY BEST about Glasgow (in no more than five words).
Let's see if you can even outdo 'Glasgow Smiles Better'.

+Quote Post

12 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.