Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

41 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Statues To Be Moved From George Square, All historical figures to be relocated
*Guest*
post 14th Sep 2012, 09:13am
Post #31

I left Glasgow 15 Years ago ,but to me George Square is Glasgow History and the statues should not be removed, when I come back I always go through the town also visiting george square.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
annmcpherson
post 14th Sep 2012, 09:15am
Post #32

Unpacking
Member No.: 13,017
What the hell is Glasgow City Council thinking of. Even to consider removing statues from George Square is a disgrace. I work as a taxi driver in Glasgow and I am always impressed by interest shown by foreign vistors in our George Square. It was bad enough several years ago when the council decided to tarmac over the square thereby reducing our "dear green places" even more. Can you imagine the uproar if this was Red Square Moscow or any other country.. Come on fellow Glaswegians let these people know we are not lying down to this, they need to be brought back to reality'. Ann McPherson

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 14th Sep 2012, 09:19am
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
Removing the statues must surely be seen as the ultimate act of vandalism, if a group of neds had defaced and damaged them overnight the city would have been up in arms demanding justice, yet here we have the elected members of the Labour run council removing them to who knows where.

I just hope that they don't put them into the cities museum storage yards as i would fear for their safety, particularly the bronze ones, remember, if half a tram car can roll away undetected then what chance does Rabbie Burns head have.

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 14th Sep 2012, 09:19am
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545
I went past George square the other day and it's now an eyesore, i'm not only against the removal of the statues but fully support bringing it back to the babe market on sunny days it used to be. Ohh the shouts of 'ya jammy B' when I got sent to a site across from it still ring in my ears biggrin.gif

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
annmcpherson
post 14th Sep 2012, 09:24am
Post #35

Unpacking
You know, reading over this piece of news re: statues in George Square I am now really thinking this is just a hoax piece of news (is it really true?) then again if it is (its not the first of April ) then it really means our city fathers have definately lost the plot, entirely, God help us all !!!! Ann McPherson

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 14th Sep 2012, 09:31am
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (annmcpherson @ 14th Sep 2012, 10:39am) *
our city fathers have definately lost the plot, entirely,

Did they ever have a plot?

+Quote Post
annmcpherson
post 14th Sep 2012, 09:36am
Post #37

Unpacking
QUOTE (Jazzsaxman @ 14th Sep 2012, 01:33am) *
The question in my mind is how are they going to move them without damaging them and where are they going. The whole idea is crazy, like we needed another concert venue next to the SECC and the Clyde Auditorium. WTF is going on in Glasgow Council.

I agree wholeheartly with Jazzsaxman WTF is going on in Glasgow Council. Hit back next time we vote, that is the way to show them how strongly we dissagree with them. Ann McPherson

+Quote Post
*christine murray*
post 14th Sep 2012, 09:40am
Post #38

Will there be anything left for me to see in Glasgow?? When i finaly get there from Australia to visit the home of my ancestors , i would love to see the monuments and history. Im not coming all that way to see the left overs of a rock concert. Stand up to this council and tell them what you want your city to look like. The stupid mayor of Melbourne has rubber stamped the removal of ALL the 150yr old the cobble stone lanes and road ways. What do these councils think theyre doing? Its destroying our heritage. Thought the stupid ones were only in Australia!

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 14th Sep 2012, 09:41am
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,353
Hoax?? Thats exactly what I was thinking Ann but I checked the Evening Times site and this is what they are saying about this very sorry affair....

THE civic heart of Glasgow will be transformed into a building site from January.

This is how George Square looks just now -- but it will be all-change from January. After Christmas, the bulldozers will move on to George Square and begin the transformation of the area at a cost of 15million.

The first step will be to remove all 12 statues in the Square, including the 78ft (24m) column bearing writer Sir Walter Scott.

So they are to go and the square is to be shut for a full year also. This is just crazy stuff.... who actually comes up with these schemes and its costing us a fortune at the same time!!

+Quote Post
*Dave Fisher*
post 14th Sep 2012, 10:19am
Post #40

Im sure if the statues were of 'Irish History' the councillors wouldnt even dream of moving them, has anyone started an e petition?

+Quote Post
*Frank Wilson*
post 14th Sep 2012, 10:20am
Post #41

What are they thinking of? They will destroy the whole feeling about the place, it will no longer be unique to Glasgow but hey ho thats what the council they excell at destroying the culture and feel of Glasgow.They always plead they have scarce funds so where do they have 15,000,000 to spare,I,m sure that in these days there must be more pressing needs nfor that cash. The City of Glasgow belongs to the citizens , NOT the council who are there to run the city for and on behalf of the citizens and it's time they realised that.

To me it's like Edinburgh demolishing Princess st and building a mall as it's more modern!

Frank Wilson.

+Quote Post
**Yellow Rose**
post 14th Sep 2012, 10:25am
Post #42

George Square belongs to the people and should be returned to the way it was before they put down red tarmac, that was a disgrace. Now you can't find a place to sit in the city centre as they keep moving away the benches and there is little grass areas. The square is now a mess and has been for years since they keep trying to make it into a venue. Why not look to the river side and develop that for open air events there is plenty of land at Tradeston. Who gave them the permission to take away the statues. I don't remember seeing anything on the New/papers relating to even the idea of this. This should have been voted on by the people as it affects the people who live their and visitors. The city has many places to stage events and that should be looked at. George Square should remain the place in Glasgow city centre that salutes the efforts and achievments of historical people, we have been named as the City of Culture please don't take that away from us.

+Quote Post
Rab
post 14th Sep 2012, 10:28am
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,266
PREPOSTEROUS 'Contrary to reason or common sense; utterly absurd or ridiculous' I can't think of any more to say - I am choked! angry.gif
Our poll vote says it all.

--------------------
Back to using my original name... Rab

+Quote Post
*Des Harrigan*
post 14th Sep 2012, 10:42am
Post #44

A terrible idea which will destroy the whole atmosphere and wher would they put them?

+Quote Post
norrie123
post 14th Sep 2012, 10:44am
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,552
Why leave the cenetaph and remove the rest, they might as well leave the square barran and souless

15 million to be spent when things are bad crazy
A bad idea
Why not pull down that modern building on George st, that should give them extra as sapace, I doubt that would be missed

Bye for now, norrie

+Quote Post

41 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.