Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

41 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Statues To Be Moved From George Square, All historical figures to be relocated
youngsy
post 14th Sep 2012, 03:48am
Post #16

Settling In
Member No.: 8,726
An absolute disgrace,these statues are part of the history and heritage of the city and no doubt are a tourist attraction also.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tigerplank
post 14th Sep 2012, 06:35am
Post #17

Unpacking
Member No.: 4,796
The Council has no right to do this without the public being allowed a vote on this. I'm surprised a newspaper or an MP is not shouting from the roof tops about this silly idea.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 14th Sep 2012, 06:57am
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Surely it would be easier (and cheaper) to remove the councillors from the City Chambers. That would smarten up the place somewhat.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
chas1937
post 14th Sep 2012, 06:58am
Post #19

Special Visitor
Member No.: 10,795
QUOTE (Mary Gill Keir @ 14th Sep 2012, 03:10am) *
Dreadful idea....who had hair brained scheme! Leave them there!

The brainless and bigoted run City Council and all adding up too a few people deciding what they want and how we should be gratefull.
Time to get rid of Labour run Council who have proved through the years they have no brains

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 14th Sep 2012, 07:24am
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
I'm with Billbo. Go for the cheaper option and remove the councillors ... but first find out who's giving out the back-handers; this smacks of corruption.

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 14th Sep 2012, 07:31am
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,288
Absolute Disgrace !!!!!!!

Who is their right mind thought that one up sad.gif * shaking head in disbelief *

--------------------

You don't have to live next door, to be a friend !

+Quote Post
**lizN**
post 14th Sep 2012, 07:34am
Post #22

I think it's disgusting that these young up-and-coming councillors think they can remove all signs of our history. The statues depict the history of Scotland and they should be left in George Square and wherever else they may be in the country. For goodness sake, why does making money from these so-called concerts take precedence over the history of our country. At a cost of 15 million pound to remove these and create a sleezy concert venue is disgusting.

Leave Scotland, and Glasgow's history intact, and take your concert venues to the poorer areas of Scotland to help the economies in those areas. So what if people may have to travel (even by public transport) to get there, leave the city centre intact. Clean it up by all means, but leave the statues of Scotland's historic folk where they are.

Liz

+Quote Post
nanajune
post 14th Sep 2012, 07:39am
Post #23

Unpacking
Member No.: 12,803
George Square is a disgrace to Glasgow, it's ugly. You wonder what tourists actually say when they visit compared to other "squares" all over the world. The only saving grace it has is the surrounding beautiful Victorian buildings. Taking away the statues is outrageous but typical of the fools who run our city. Next thing they'll want to do is rip out all the marble from the city chambers and kit it out from Ikea!!!

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 14th Sep 2012, 07:49am
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,194
I wrote to the council last year about the mysterious disappearance of the Crum water fountain. I got no reply. However, I also wrote to a historical society in the Busby area (where Mr. Crum came from) and they got an answer. Apparently the fountain had been removed to make way for a temporary ice-skating rink. As far as I know it has not been put back. Have the council been removing items from the square a bit at a time? I saw a woman on a news vox-pox saying "don't let designers anywhere near it." I agree with that lady.
David smile.gif

+Quote Post
LesleyReed
post 14th Sep 2012, 07:57am
Post #25

Unpacking
Member No.: 13,168
Does Glasgow really need £15m spent on it? There are parts of West Scotland that have a greater need for, at least some of that money?. Cheap run down and tatty all the way to Loch Lomond I say.

LMReed

+Quote Post
**greta**
post 14th Sep 2012, 07:57am
Post #26

I am disgusted that they even thought of this, not surprised that they went behind peoples backs though as they know very well what the reaction would be. These statues are not just of historic significance but are a part of Glasgows culture and life its a damn disgrace. This is me being very mild about it, there has to be a public outcry that will put these half wits back in their place and put an end to this madness.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 14th Sep 2012, 07:58am
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
I note that none of the (so far) 9 voters in favour of this move has posted any comment. Are they afraid of being identified and being condemned along with the council ?

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 14th Sep 2012, 08:06am
Post #28

Where is the public consultation?

One of the rising concerns about for example the Olympics is the extent to which the whole ethos has been infected by commercial interests.
And here , the very centre of Glasgow to be stripped of it's heritage.
As it happens I have little interest in Victoria or Albert, but that is hardly the point.

William Wallace ?

+Quote Post
**Bailley**
post 14th Sep 2012, 08:30am
Post #29

It was previously published in the media re the proposed change / upgrade to the square..It was intimated the council wished to remove some of the statues...apparently some could not / would not be removed ...They (the council) were then going to put it to the public(the people of the city of Glasgow) for their views on any such removal..or changes to the square...Why are they not now going to put it to the people of the city...I understood that the proposed upgrade was to make it more people accessible..grass may have been put back and area made more of a central focus...They (the council) need to / should seek our views regarding any proposed changes to what is after all a central focus of our city and widely used by the public in general..

+Quote Post
**Yogihughes**
post 14th Sep 2012, 08:40am
Post #30

Think about it!

It is just another way for these money-grubbing councillors to try and make some more money to increase their wages. A previous poster referred to tarmacing Glasgow Green, well, they haven't done that yet but have come close. There is hardly a week goes by where there isn't some sort of event or other going on. Glasgow Green has gone from somewhere to walk/relax to being a money-spinning "Events Area" (their description not mine) to benefit the city fathers.

So to get back on to the subject in hand, it is time for the people of Glasgow to stand up to these "elected" representatives and let them know that they are on borrowed time and they have been chosen to implement our wishes and not for their own benefit.

By all means, improve the area by bringing back the grassed areas where the citizens of Glasgow can relax when we do get some good weather BUT the historical statues MUST remain. Let's make our point to these councillors and tell them that it is "our" city and we will decide on the future of George Square.

+Quote Post

41 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.