Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Nurses Face Sack Over Parking Fines, Get-tough policy from health board
jbeaver
post 26th Mar 2012, 12:12pm
Post #31

Unpacking
Member No.: 11,567
What a load of crap. Nurses have difficult enough jobs without having to worry about where to park their cars. They should have free parking at their place of work. If it was not for the hard work of the nurses at the Victoria in Glasgow, my mum might not have survived the major surgery that she went through. They did a first class job.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 26th Mar 2012, 12:51pm
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545
Anon, my wife has to be at her station before 7 in morning for a 12 hour shift, for her to be able to do that she would need to get at least 2 buses or a bus, train then another bus, thats if of course buses were running at the time she would now have to leave. At the moment she gets in after 8 has dinner then falls asleep only to do the same several hours later. Do you really think it's wise to lengthen peoples day if they are already shattered and are looking after sick people?

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
Jim D
post 26th Mar 2012, 03:21pm
Post #33

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 91
Unfortunately, nurses are not the 0nly ones subject to these charges. My wife was sent to The Royal to have a mole thing removed. She was told to bring a suitable person with her. I drove her there and parked in the carpark and paid the ticket. It was not cheap.

Some might not like this but nurses should not get everything free. There are many ocupations and patients who attend the hospital and all require to pay for their parking, if they want to take the car to their works doorstep. They could use public transport, park and ride etc.

THe NHS Glasgow allowed a private company to build a large multi-storey carpark at the hospital, rather than build the carpark themselves. It was their way of getting out of allowing free carparking and at the same time creating more parking space.. If the company have a problem with none payment then it is not the responsibility of the hospital. They should not be involved and have no right to know if you have received a ticket for non-payment. Neither should they supply any information as to the possible identity of the offending vehicle. Its called Data Protection!

--------------------
Jim D

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit - NO man is at all hours wise.

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 26th Mar 2012, 04:57pm
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
The 3 nearest hospitals to me are the Western Infirmary, Gartnavel and the Royal Infirmary and I can assure you JimD, I wouldn't like to be walking out of any of these hospitals after a late shift and then have to rely on public transport to get home. I get your point about the private carpark and your right it was a cop-out by GCC but it still doesn't make it right to charge anyone for parking at a hospital. Mary

+Quote Post
Heather
post 26th Mar 2012, 05:19pm
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Plus the fact that Nurse's go to work in the Hospital, not just for an occasional visit or an appointment

I certainly would not like to be standing at a bus stop on my own at 10-30pm /11-00pm waiting for a bus to make it's appearance, especially at the weekend with all the crime we read about by drunks, drug addicts and those who carry knives.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 26th Mar 2012, 06:51pm
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
Loast fur words, well not quite. You ken me rolleyes.gif

See these days, this kind of twaddle comes as no great surprise. Perhaps the time has arrived for the public to say enough to all the PC and other heaps of manure that are getting dumped on us in willy nilly fashion by a shower of glaikit penpushing eejits. Eegits who are dire need of a reality check in the form of a goodly hoofing up the archiebald with a size 14 pitboot. Joop, you got yer size 12 plod boots handy?

Indeed, yet another sickening indicament that serves to show that bampots are trying to take over the world.

Just what are these shiny erses inepts going to do, sack all the nursing / medical staff? Aye right, thats got to be the cheap option. Clearly, a great deal of thought hasn't gone into this.

What ever happened to common sence, it appears to have deserted the UK.

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 26th Mar 2012, 09:17pm
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
As the mother of an RN. I feel very strongly that parking charges are an outrage. My daughter had to pay even as a student nurse. I believe this is because the parking is nothing to do with the hospital, its all private companies.Our little hospital was always free,and then they started charging a dollar. How we all complained about that . Now its a private company and its a lot more expensive.The rotten bit about ours is there is a senior home in hospital grounds, so if you are visiting there a couple of times a week it sure mounts up.My friends mother is there and her friends from her building cant afford to go and visit with her .
In saying all that I feel no one should expect to get away with illegal,
parking nurses and doctors included.Give them their own free spot.

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 26th Mar 2012, 10:48pm
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
A few months ago I had to go to the Southern General for a scan. While there I had a conversation with one of the nursing staff about the parking. She asked me where I had parked and I told her I was in the new multistorey carpark which seemed to me to be only about a 1/4 full. When I said how surprised I was at how empty the carpark was, she told me that nursing staff are not allowed to use it and that its always at least half empty. There is a carpark as you go into the hospital from Govan Rd and also parking outside some of the individual buildings, so I asked her where she could park and she told me they have to park on the main road or surrounding streets. Another hospital I would not like to leave after a late shift and to be dependent on public transport. Mary

+Quote Post
Alex MacPhee
post 26th Mar 2012, 11:05pm
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,183
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 26th Mar 2012, 09:04am) *
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ?????????

I assumed it was the Bridgegate ("brig'ate").

--------------------
Alex

+Quote Post
Alex MacPhee
post 26th Mar 2012, 11:14pm
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,183
I can see the point of wanting to dissuade commuters who use hospital car parks as a commuting convenience. However, this is a technological age, and it is trivially easy to find technological solutions to this problem.

When my wife was able to travel in our car, the local authority had a scheme whereby our car registration number was 'known' to the system, and whenever we approached a council car park, a number recognition camera would scan every number and, recognising ours, would open the car park barrier allowing us to enter (and leave) at no charge. Just in case there was a camera malfunction, we also had a 'proximity card' which we could wave at the car park entrance, which would also open the barriers.

There is certainly no technical or logistic reason why medical staff cannot be separated from visitors or commuters.

--------------------
Alex

+Quote Post
*Exenon*
post 27th Mar 2012, 02:44am
Post #41

QUOTE (Alex MacPhee @ 26th Mar 2012, 11:19pm) *
I can see the point of wanting to dissuade commuters who use hospital car parks as a commuting convenience. However, this is a technological age, and it is trivially easy to find technological solutions to this problem.

When my wife was able to travel in our car, the local authority had a scheme whereby our car registration number was 'known' to the system, and whenever we approached a council car park, a number recognition camera would scan every number and, recognising ours, would open the car park barrier allowing us to enter (and leave) at no charge. Just in case there was a camera malfunction, we also had a 'proximity card' which we could wave at the car park entrance, which would also open the barriers.

There is certainly no technical or logistic reason why medical staff cannot be separated from visitors or commuters.

Dont know if you have ever been to Hong Kong and used an "Octopus card"? It is used mainly for transport fares and small purchases on the run. There is no need to remove it from your wallet to scan it. Just touch your wallet to the scanner and it reads through it, charges the exact purchase amount and debits your prepaid credit. Now why is this technology, available for as far as I know for about 10 years now, not available for a simple car park ticket. Scotland is fast drifting down the third world road.

+Quote Post
GG
post 27th Mar 2012, 07:56am
Post #42

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
QUOTE (stratson @ 25th Mar 2012, 02:22pm) *
Yes jupiter, am with you on this matter. Time Scottish Health Minister ie. NICOLA STURGEON GOT HER FINGER OUT.!!!

All the promises made for Independant Scotland, let's get some action now.
Perhaps then you can prove to our nation it really can work.

Have never understood how this paying for hospital parking(particularly for staff on duty) ever happened, angry.gif

Jupiter, Stratson, agreed! So far, there has been no reaction from Nicola Sturgeon on the main issue here: the harassment of nurses by health bosses who appear to be acting as proxy debt collectors for a private car parking management firm at seven city hospitals.

There is also the related issue of exhorbitant car parking costs charged by another private company at the Glasgow Royal Infirmary. Staff, patients and visitors are daily being charged huge fees to leave their cars in the GRI's PFI-built hospital car park. As Glasgow has the worst health record in the country, this amounts to a dispoportionate additional charge to Glaswegians, especially poor Glaswegians who are more likely to suffer poor health.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
tombro
post 27th Mar 2012, 09:53am
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
Simple !

Employers should provide free parking for all employees, the NHS and Private Hospitals should provide free parking for all customers.

The sticking point is that there is always that group of skinflints who, if given the opportunity of free parking anywhere, will take it.

Hospitals can issue staff with passes, but they still would have no control over others who park in their grounds. Maybe a solution could be that, after a consultation in the hospital, patients could be provided with a gate pass that allows them a free exit from the parking area.

Most hospital car parks do have either a machine or a posted operator who could oversee such a problem.

Tombro

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !

+Quote Post
zascot
post 27th Mar 2012, 10:24am
Post #44

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 612
QUOTE (Exenon @ 27th Mar 2012, 03:49am) *
There is no need to remove it from your wallet to scan it. Just touch your wallet to the scanner and it reads through it,

We have the same system in a lot of the plants here, it also clocks the guys on and off and on strict companies selects random numbers for breathalysing.

--------------------
Take only photos. Leave only footprints. Kill only time.

+Quote Post
*John B*
post 27th Mar 2012, 02:06pm
Post #45

An Absolute Disgrace that these Angels should be treated like this (and in a wonderful city like Glasgow) makes it even more disgusting.

It's time the public done something to back up the Nurses, as we would be lost without their tender care !

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.