Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

15 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bringing Home The Bacon In Byres Road, Customers resort to nicking cheap meat
wee davy
post 30th Sep 2011, 12:59pm
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
QUOTE (thunder badger @ 30th Sep 2011, 01:30pm) *
... middle-class mortgage ...

which banks/financial institutions are selling this product mr badger (or is it mrs?).

welcome to GGDB btw
(kin we mibbe get a 'working-class wan'???)
or hows aboot an UPPER class wan?

dont forget, its only 30 years since EVERYBODY was encouraged to hang a mortgage round their necks - REGARDLESS of social status!!!

wee davy

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
chas1937
post 30th Sep 2011, 01:04pm
Post #32

Special Visitor
Member No.: 10,795
Well I'm sure they can still find money for their cigs,booze,drugs and gambling so saying they need to steal to feed themselves or familiesl is rubbish.So I have no sympathy at all for them when they get caught and trouble is they usually get slap on wrist which means they go out and do it again

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 30th Sep 2011, 01:23pm
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Dear WeeDavy.

Will ye stoap shoutin´words every so often? Ye´re daein´ ma lugs in. For emphasis, ye should italicize ! unsure.gif

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 30th Sep 2011, 01:27pm
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
ah dont know a WORD of italian, bilbo - bit ah'll day a wee course fur ye
where dae ah get ma italian keyboard??

(sorry - i'll keep it doon a bit)

--------------------

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 30th Sep 2011, 01:46pm
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (amclpreston @ 30th Sep 2011, 11:35am) *
The poll...

If someone is stealing to feed their kids, I have no problem with that.

Tesco make squillions in profit, their workers are hardly paid a kings ransom, and the shareholder are rewarded handsomely.

I noticed on the poll, that 2/3rds said that stealing food to feed your children is unacceptable. Perhaps they are ones still with jobs, and they are .... all right Jack.

I voted stealing for any reason is unacceptable, i have had several periods of unemployment over the last 40 years, but never once would i have resorted to stealing. The benefit (Buroo) money that we got went straight to buying food for our children, making sure we stocked the cupboards with cheap tins, biscuits, crisps, etc, going to Freezeway to fill the freezer with cheap sausages, bacon and other cheap meat (not the healthiest of foods i'll admit, but my children were never hungry) that kept us going till the next Giro came and till i eventually got back to work. During that time my wife and i made the decision to do without cigarettes (as we both smoked at the time, if we could afford a packet between us we did) but the childrens welfare always came first. There is no excuse for kids to go hungry in this day and age, its just a case of parents getting their priorities right, and for the hand wringers to stop telling them it's okay to steal, what next, it's okay to break into someone's house to feed the kid's, or it's okay to mug an old lady on the street to feed the kids. Stealing is wrong, no excuses.

+Quote Post
droschke7
post 30th Sep 2011, 02:23pm
Post #36

Lord Provost
Member No.: 128
QUOTE (amclpreston @ 30th Sep 2011, 12:35pm) *
The poll...

If someone is stealing to feed their kids, I have no problem with that.

Tesco make squillions in profit, their workers are hardly paid a kings ransom, and the shareholder are rewarded handsomely.

I noticed on the poll, that 2/3rds said that stealing food to feed your children is unacceptable. Perhaps they are ones still with jobs, and they are .... all right Jack.

I am no longer able to work and therefore don't have a job am not one of the "I'm all right Jack" theft is still theft

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 30th Sep 2011, 02:39pm
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
There is no excuse for kids to go hungry in this day and age
JAGZ

Your so right sir. But they do.
They shouldn't get neglected - but they are.
They shouldn't be abused. sad.gif

In this 'day and age' however - IMAGE is all important. People strive to BE 'somebody' - have to own the 55 inch screen TV - the latest wii - and suddenly they find the cupboard's BARE!
Not forgetting, they 'have to' own their own home! (At some phenominal price)

Our society is all upside down these days.
Basic values such as 'thou shalt not steal' seem too easy to do without.
(Especially as its mostly considered a midemeanor (eg shoplifting I mean)

--------------------

+Quote Post
**mervscot**
post 30th Sep 2011, 02:46pm
Post #38

Hi,

The tagging of some meats has been going on in the Tesco EXTRA in Kilmarnock for over a year now.

Regards Merv.

+Quote Post
amclpreston
post 30th Sep 2011, 02:47pm
Post #39

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,716
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 30th Sep 2011, 11:56am) *
There is one big drawback when stealing from a shop such as Tesco or any other supermarket.You are liable to get caught,arrested and taken to court.So what happens to the kids when their mum is taken away by the Police.Ill tell you.If a relative cannot be found quickly the social work dept become involved and they take the kids.Now is that worth all the hassle?
Forget the profits and shareholders.Supermarkets are businesses there to provide a service and make a profit and if a person takes their property they normally take proceedings as far as they can whether its a £2 pack of bacon or a £30 bottle of whisky.

There is rather little indication in what you say..... of any recognition of what people will do out of desperation. Perhaps you are indeed..... all right Jack.

+Quote Post
**beaufort avenue**
post 30th Sep 2011, 03:05pm
Post #40

Since when was Byres Road posh? It was always a nest of reasonably cheap rooms and flats to rent. A good place to stay but it has its share of bums and stiffs and down and outs.

Meanwhile the Fruit Market, sorry Merchant City, is a strange mixture of renewal and mainly old unappealing buildings and streets. Tourist accomodation flats, but certainly not overall pretty or upmarket.

Meanwhile there is no excuse for stealing, especially getting caught !

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 30th Sep 2011, 03:17pm
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
Have you never heard the saying don't judge others until you have walked a mile in their shoes.This is a very sad state of affairs .
I have never stolen a single thing in my life, however I have never been in a situation where my children were hungry.So I am not going to judge.
Yes we all know it"s wrong but ask yourself what would you do if you had starving children.I would do anything for my children as I am sure most on here would be the same.
I know like myself some of us will question the system where folks can buy booze and cigs, go to bingo, but have nothing left for food. Perhaps its time to give stamps for food and deduct this amount from the security cheques many receive. This way the family is going to get fed before the parents take off with the money using it on all the wrong things.

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 30th Sep 2011, 03:29pm
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
amclpreston,I spent a big part of my working life locking up shoplifters;bacon for some reason was always a favourite and I can say that I never once heard a thief put up the excuse that it was to feed the kids.
I do not believe there is any circumstances where a child should go hungry.Every child is entitled to state benefit and if they are then going hungry the parents are spending the family allowance on something other than what was intended.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 30th Sep 2011, 03:56pm
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I can't think of any reason to steal, maybe that's because I have never been hungry enough with no food in the house.

When I buy flowers in Morrisons I hang them on the back of the trolley. A few months ago as I was putting the shopping into a taxi I realised the flowers were still on the back of the trolley. I had walked right out the shop without paying for them.
I ran back into the shop to the first check out practically throwing the money for the flowers at the woman on the till. I told the woman what had happened, she just laughed, and there was me in a panic incase I got arrested for stealing. unsure.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 30th Sep 2011, 04:09pm
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Heather you were totally innocent,absolutely no guilty intent.Reminds me of an occasion when a young mum had put a packet of disposable nappies in the basket under her pushchair.She paid for her shopping but was stopped by a security guard who wouldnt listen to her and called the police.Female told me that it had been an oversight and that she had no intention of stealing.It was obvious this was the case.I had a word with the security guard but would have been better talking to the wall.

+Quote Post
angel
post 30th Sep 2011, 04:13pm
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
QUOTE (Isobel @ 30th Sep 2011, 04:03pm) *
... I know like myself some of us will question the system where folks can buy booze and cigs, go to bingo, but have nothing left for food. Perhaps its time to give stamps for food and deduct this amount from the security cheques many receive. This way the family is going to get fed before the parents take off with the money using it on all the wrong things.

Isobel , sounds like a plan but they would probably sell those food coupons for half the value. and I think that system of social welfare is used in the States .

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.