Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow Accent Sounds Most Stupid, Researchers claim untainted snobbery
Hank Green
post 2nd Aug 2011, 12:36am
Post #16

Unpacking
Member No.: 11,309
Although I have been away from Glasgow for many years I have never been encumbered with a typical Glasgow accent. I grew up in Whitecraigs but I attended University in/and played and frequented Glasgow venues and I do agree that there are accents in certain areas of the city which I have never found easy to understand. I have had first hand experience of prejudice when one of my friends at University had dificulty having his job applications accepted because he came from Gorbals and once my father had agreed to allow him to use our home address on his CV he soon found himself in demand. On a visit home from Canada along with my daughter she confessed that listening to some of the accents among sales clerks in Glasgow's stores left her wondering if it was really the English language she was listening to.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Robert Stewart
post 2nd Aug 2011, 01:05am
Post #17

Unpacking
Member No.: 130
>Scottish
Scots were found to have the most reassuring accents in Britain, in a recent survey. The Royal National Lifeboat Institution made the discovery in a poll asking which accent people found most soothing in emergencies, although the research did not delve into the numerous regional varieties of the Scottish tongue.

Check out:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science...-about-you.html

+Quote Post
jamcat
post 2nd Aug 2011, 01:37am
Post #18

Resident
Member No.: 8,842
I have had one or two comments from people saying they don't fully understand what i say, but when i worked in a call centre i was talking to people from all over the U.K. plus many other countries and was often told that they loved my accent.

+Quote Post
jamcat
post 2nd Aug 2011, 01:39am
Post #19

Resident
Member No.: 8,842
QUOTE (Robert Stewart @ 2nd Aug 2011, 01:51am) *
>Scottish
Scots were found to have the most reassuring accents in Britain, in a recent survey. The Royal National Lifeboat Institution made the discovery in a poll asking which accent people found most soothing in emergencies, although the research did not delve into the numerous regional varieties of the Scottish tongue.

Check out:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science...-about-you.html

I totally agree there Robert as many people especially those not from the UK love the Scottish accent.

+Quote Post
*d.barber*
post 2nd Aug 2011, 03:21am
Post #20

Normally "speaking" I've no problems with accent. Most other people who have commented have said they like my accent.And on a few occasios I have been told I have a "nice"voice when on the phone. However When I was In the army I had my Corporal cook go to to some length to get me transferred.He was succesfull. Then there was a running battle I had with my Regimental Sergeant Major. I Once incorrectly carried out his cooking instructions and excused myself by saying I "misunderstood" him, he had a fit and went into a tirade about him speaking "The Queen's bloody English". This led to a month of severe retribution (another longer story)until he was stupid enough to berate and villify me in front of someone whom he thought was a "friend"I reported him to the Company Commander and the "friend" offered to be my witnes. He was transferred through all of that I was a lowly Private. By the way the "loveliest" accent I ever heard was a felow cook from Buckie, Fife. He was also a great Accordion player.
Dee Bee

+Quote Post
*Helen Chalmers*
post 2nd Aug 2011, 03:28am
Post #21

QUOTE (Glasgow Girl @ 1st Aug 2011, 11:42pm) *
I'm a born and bred Govanite myself benny smile.gif

+Quote Post
*Helen Chalmers*
post 2nd Aug 2011, 03:33am
Post #22

Many years ago I applied for a job as an Air Hostess by American Airlines, and was in no uncertain terms told they could not hire me because of my accent... That was in 1965... but I believe things have changed... most people like it... but I am often mistaken for Irish...

+Quote Post
Betty Bryant
post 2nd Aug 2011, 03:54am
Post #23

Unpacking
Member No.: 11,311
I've lived in Australia for 38yrs and it's amazing the people who say i've got a lovely accent and love to listen to me speak,although i must say some people ask me if i'm German.
Maybe it's not the accent that is the problem sometime people just don't listen properly,i am proud of my accent and will never lose it.
i hope i've done this ok as this is the first time i've tried.

+Quote Post
*Pat Mcgettigan*
post 2nd Aug 2011, 05:53am
Post #24

QUOTE (jimmyd @ 2nd Aug 2011, 12:36am) *
I voted yes , but wish to point out , that the only people to "have a go " in a serious manner have been English.. others may take the proverbial, in a fun way.. I have found my accent to be an asset ,here in Oz. I have worked in many areas , and apart from one factory job , all have been involved with people . Most will say the love the accent .

I agree it is the English only and I live in England now and my son is English I wiil never change my accent for no one I am proud to come from Glasgow.

+Quote Post
wiznayme
post 2nd Aug 2011, 06:05am
Post #25

Visitor
Member No.: 7,598
I voted yes only because of my radio voice, seems it is a wee bit too aggressive to some of our more sensitive cousins south of the border, fortunately not so with the ladies though.

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 2nd Aug 2011, 06:11am
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
Went to England on business 5 or 6 years ago, and when being collected at Birmingham airport by the company I was visiting was told that they were expecting a South African, but not to worry as the Scots accent is a lot more acceptable nowadays.
I was there for 2 weeks and could pick up the ones that were anti Scots.
Never experienced that in SA.

+Quote Post
greta
post 2nd Aug 2011, 06:11am
Post #27

Settling In
Member No.: 6,565
I have to say being from Glasgow, theres nothing wrang wae a Glasgow accent. And the beauty of t is you can recognize it anywhere.

+Quote Post
tartanlassie
post 2nd Aug 2011, 06:27am
Post #28

Unpacking
Member No.: 10,343
I voted yes because many years ago in a greengrocers in Manchester the very rude assistant passed me on to her colleague and in a loud voice said ... " oh its one of yours you serve her " . But I must say in 40 years of living in England I have never come across this behaviour again. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
zascot
post 2nd Aug 2011, 06:40am
Post #29

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 612
When I first came to S.A. in 71 a few people found it hard to understand me because I spoke so fast, you automatically slow down then it`s no problem. In 72 four of us were sent to Canada on business and the first night in the restuarant my SA mate joked with the waitress " If you don`t understand him(me) I`ll translate he`s from Glasgow". She said" Awright Jimmy am fae there masel maybe he kin translate fir you".He still tells the story.

--------------------
Take only photos. Leave only footprints. Kill only time.

+Quote Post
GG
post 2nd Aug 2011, 07:21am
Post #30

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Thanks for great comments and wonderful stories on the Glasgow accent!

Here's another one, from the Big Yin:

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.