Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Second Betrayal Of William Wallace, Wallace's Well on brink of destruction
GG
post 2nd Jun 2011, 07:41am
Post #31

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
QUOTE (weecal @ 2nd Jun 2011, 01:41am) *
Martin. Could not someone like yourself working through The Robroyston Wallace Monument Admin. approach a local National Bank branch and set up a fund that accepts donations? Going by the proceeding comments I think there would be great financial support and when there is enough money the council could be approached to match PGB for PGB and get the work done.

Many thanks weecal. I have to say that his would be an excellent suggestion if the problem was money; however, the problem with the decline and destruction at Robroyston – both with the Wallace Monument and Wallace's Well – has never been about the availability of funds. Plain and simple it is about a complete lack of will on the part of local politicians to respect the importance of two sites of national historical importance.

As Duncan Fenton points out in a reply above, even where the solutions are simple and cheap, such as changing a small 'Give Way' sign to a larger 'STOP' sign, local politicians are keen to block any progress or protection. In the case of the change of sign, Mr Fenton, deputy convenor of the Society of William Wallace, was told by local politicians that such a simple change could not proceed because it would require "special permission from the Secretery of State for Scotland".

Unfortunately, this is what we are dealing with here: small-minded local politicians who want to draw the dark and musty curtains across the windows of Glasgow city chambers and wallow in a selfish mindset which denies the city of Glasgow understanding, progress and opportunity.

From the Robroyston Wallace Monument website:
If you visit the Wallace Monument at Robroyston, you can still stand on the ground where William Wallace slept on a fateful August night over 700 years ago; you can still walk a short distance from the monument to the well that has for centuries borne his name; and you can still view the source of the water at which the great warrior-patriot knelt and drank. If nothing else, this in itself would be significant, as so little is truly known of the life of Wallace that to be so sure of his exact location at any point in time is something special.

But what really matters, what makes Robroyston so special, so important, is that that night's sleep was to be his last, and that drink was to be his final, as a free man. On the night of 3rd August 1305, the man who had dedicated his life to fight for the freedom of his country ultimately lost his own personal fight for freedom.

In death, the legend of Wallace was to grow so strong that within less than a decade Bruce would climb on Wallace's shoulders to wrench freedom for Scotland on the field of Bannockburn in 1314.

http://www.robroyston.org

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GG
post 2nd Jun 2011, 07:57am
Post #32

Administrator
Group Icon
QUOTE (Dunvegan @ 1st Jun 2011, 02:04am) *
One wonders at their penchant for destroying that which according to the online poll 99% of respondents regard this as a sacred trust. Even the English would preserve this as a heritage site.

Thanks Dunvegan. It is interesting to note that in the Smithfield area of London, where Wallace was taken to for execution after his capture at Robroyton, there stands a memorial to the Scottish patriot honouring the memory of a man who gave his life fighting for the freedom of his country. Glasgow City Council has never deemed it necessary to erect a similar memorial at the location of his capture.

The words on the impressive granite plaque in London are poignant:
To The Immortal Memory of Sir William Wallace

Scottish patriot born at Elderslie Renfrewshire circa 1270 A.D. Who from the year 1296 fought dauntlessly in defence of his country’s Liberty and Independence in the face of fearful odds and great hardship being eventually betrayed and captured brought to London and put to death near this spot on the 23rd August 1305.

His example heroism and devotion inspired those who came after him to win victory from defeat and his memory remains for all time a source of pride honour and inspiration to his Countrymen.

Dico tibi verum libertas optima rerum nunquam servili sub nexu vivito fili
(I tell you the truth, son, freedom is the best condition, never live like a slave)

Bas Agus Buaidh (Death and Victory)

GG.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
GG
post 2nd Jun 2011, 08:11am
Post #33

Administrator
Group Icon
I should say that my initial interest in the Robroyston Wallace Monument and Well comes from the fact that I, like many on the boards, grew up in the area quite close to the site. It was a beacon of inspiration to me, as I surveyed the economic decline and decay of Sprigburn, to know that just a short distance away there was a place of so much historical importance. I am very disappointed that the site has been spoiled, denying children today a similar opportunity to visit and peacefully reflect on the historical importance of the place.

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
RonD
post 2nd Jun 2011, 12:04pm
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
QUOTE (Duncan Fenton @ 1st Jun 2011, 09:24am) *
I have also written to the City Council on many occasions about the damage surrounding the well, suggesting various road safety measures that could be used to make the site more pedestrian-friendly. They rejected them all. The only concession I got was to change the "Give Way" sign to a larger one. I requested a "Stop" sign, but was told you need special permission from the Secretery of State for Scotland for that!!

In the last few months, however, it seems they are putting plans in place for a way of protecting the wall before it is rebuilt, & a general upgrade of the well area. We will be keeping watch with interest.

Through the efforts of valued friends, the site surrounding the monument itself is now looking better than it has for many years, after decades of neglect & indifference from the council.

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 2nd Jun 2011, 12:23pm
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
I wonder, seriously, what the issue is with the Glasgow councillors. Do they see the whole Wallace thing as a symbol for Scottish independence; better forgotten? My all tme hero as a kid was David Livingstone; a son of the town where I was brought up. To his memory there stands the Livingstone Memorial Church on Main Street, Blantyre with a statue of the famous man in an alcove high on the outside wall near the entrance. Down on the banks of the Clyde the old mill where he was born and raised was turned into the David Livingstone National Memorial where I spent many. many, summer days soakin' up the life and times of my hero - I was fortunate enough to have an older brother who worked as gardener there.
Livingstone dedicated his adult life to the fight against slavery on religious grounds.
Wallace dedicated his life to the fight against slavery on political grounds and maybe that is the thorn in the side of the Labour councillors who would rather not see a division with England and therefor not see symbols of Scotland's division given place of prominence.
Of course I could be wrong ... nothin' new there ... but I keep comin' back to Why?
If it's not the cost, then Why?
What's holding them back? Political reasons?

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 2nd Jun 2011, 03:52pm
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
I could've sworn I posted something on here! lol

Well, I think there's an element of truth behind what you say, THEE.
But as has been said before on this topic, PEOPLE POWER can bring about some pretty impressive results.

I would also advocate some really radical action, by the Scottish population, & not just Glasgow to put this wrong, to rights. Where's your pride, Scotland.

Were RIGHT BEHIND YOU lol wink.gif

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
Melody
post 2nd Jun 2011, 08:37pm
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Maybe Alex Salmond could find a few bob in The Scottish Parliament to sort this out.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 3rd Jun 2011, 08:28am
Post #38

Following a meeting some time ago between some of our guys at the SOWW & the council, things are starting to happen. Thanks, Dennis.
Attached Image

Work should be completed with the next few weeks.

+Quote Post
**Sheila**
post 3rd Jun 2011, 10:43am
Post #39

This is heartbreaking to see the state of Wallace's Well. With all the seats the SNP gained at the recent election why is no-one coming forward to deal with this? Forget Glasgow's Labour council - this is where they show their true colours - they don't have Scotland's interest at heart - for years they've been happy to accept what scraps Westminster has thrown them, we all know that. Scotland's history matters little to them they'd be happy for schools to wipe Wallace's name from the history books. Come Up ScotNats lets see what our votes count for!! Don't allow the desecration of our heritage and attend to the last days of Wallace's life in Scotland.

If you choose to do nothing when something as major as this happens then you WILL lose the faith and credibility of the people of Scotland AND freedom loving nations of the world.

+Quote Post
albageorgia
post 3rd Jun 2011, 10:56am
Post #40

Visitor
Member No.: 8,707
Who are these councillors, they would rather spend money on a monument for nelson mandela than protect anything to do with SCOTLANDS history, they make me sick.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 3rd Jun 2011, 11:40am
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Thanks for posting the picture "Guest". wink.gif
A decent sized carpark near by and a marked pedestrian crossing should be next on the list to make use of this important historical attraction.

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
RonD
post 3rd Jun 2011, 11:56am
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
QUOTE (Guest @ 3rd Jun 2011, 09:36am) *
Following a meeting some time ago between some of our guys at the SOWW & the council, things are starting to happen. Thanks, Dennis. ...
Work should be completed with the next few weeks.

How recent is this photograph?

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
*Duncan Fenton*
post 3rd Jun 2011, 12:28pm
Post #43

I took this photo on Thursday 2nd June 2011.

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 3rd Jun 2011, 06:58pm
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
Thank you Duncan.
Ach it makes the cockles warm, right enuf!
Oor campaign seems tae huv hud pretty spectacular results LOL laugh.gif

Well done, to everyone concerned.

wee davy

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
The Callands Reb...
post 3rd Jun 2011, 07:15pm
Post #45

Visitor
Member No.: 9,211
Hello from Roasting Virginia

At the very least my faith in the Scots answering the call to duty
has been rekindled. You a group after me own heart.

One might say the "yank" is nosing end but my 4 clan families were highlanders many centuries past and so goes the offspring.

Thanks to the glasgow guide as well for bringing the "travesty" to you Patriots and concerned Scots.

I wouldn't mind sharing a pint or two with any of ya.

"Freedom"

Jerry Wells

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.