Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Second Betrayal Of William Wallace, Wallace's Well on brink of destruction
jojax64
post 1st Jun 2011, 10:05am
Post #16

City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,789
So sad....played there many times as a youngster. sad.gif

--------------------
Nil Sine Labore
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 1st Jun 2011, 10:36am
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (Duncan Fenton @ 1st Jun 2011, 08:24am) *
... After many years of trying to get other bodies to exert some influence on them, they still will not budge ...

Didn't Wallace himself have a similar problem in his day?
Too many leaders too concerned with their private issues, I guess, to give concern to historic values.
Hey, we're gonna have a great munoment to the Commonwealth Games soon ... that will one day have historic value - as opposed the Former Residential Area of Dalmarnock known as Ville de Jeux d'almarnoch. cool.gif

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post
PabloDav
post 1st Jun 2011, 10:46am
Post #18

Unpacking
Member No.: 2,824
UNTIL WE GET RID OF THESE DESPOTS IN THE LABOUR COUNCIL WE WILL NEVER HAVE A CITY COUNCIL WHO ARE PROUD TO BE GLASWEGIAN.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 1st Jun 2011, 11:23am
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (RonD @ 1st Jun 2011, 01:11am) *
Possibly someone could start a fund in the area and solicit the council to help with signage and the new committee fund the wall repairs received from donations. I am sure if the word went out there would be enough "tenners" donated to get the thing done.

I agree with you RonD, but sad to say the only tenners councillors are interested in, are stuffed in to plain brown envelopes.

+Quote Post
*Longbeach*
post 1st Jun 2011, 12:12pm
Post #20

Hello
As a Scotsman & proud of it,born in the Maryhill district of Glasgow, it never ceases to amaze me of the power that councils have over the wishes of the people,they are an elected body to represent the people & the community. William Wallace a Scottish Patriot in the wars of Scottish independence alongside Andrew Moray, these men should be revered in the folklore of Scotland, we know little enough of William Wallace the man, let alone deminish what we do know about him. We do know that he was captured at Robroyston, but this issue over Wallacewell should not be an issue just for Glasgow but for the whole of Scotland, Wallace is a hero to the people of Scotland and should be treated as such. Historic Scotland degrading the standing of the Wallacewell should enrage all Scotsmen & women, as for the council I hope they take note of the poll you ask people to vote on, 98% of the people ask to vote want the Wallacewell upgraded and kept and preseved as a place of such historical value to a man, a SCOTSMAN who fought & died against what was happening to his country and to Scotlands SONS & DAUGHTERS abused by others for a land that did not belong to them. One of these days (I WONT HOLD MY BREATH) the councils of this land will listen to the wishes of the people.

+Quote Post
The Callands Reb...
post 1st Jun 2011, 12:35pm
Post #21

Visitor
Member No.: 9,211
This one really bothers me.

Yes, as a Virginian I contacted Glasgow Council AND GG to assist along with my other Scottish Camp members here in Glasgow by our Sons of Confederate Veterans Camp to clean this up.

We are small but we never heard from the council.

As my all my in-laws live within a short walk to this monument I have seen the pitiful state of it for years.

I must relay this, that all my British families of 1861 whether they were Irish, Scots or English,
were those united in defeating another tyrant. LINCOLN, as our families of 1776 defeated that English Crown not once but twice (1812).

Our histories are alike, as our "Yankee" counterparts daily try to tarnish and remove the Southland's heritage history and the good names of all our "warriors".

And now one of the homes of my ancestors, Scotland, is letting the same thing happen.

BE PROUD OF YOUR HERITAGES AS WELL, A POLITICANS ARE THE SAME WHETHER USA OR SCOTLAND, VOTE THE BUMS OUT.

I'D LIKE TO SEE THE WELL WHEN WE RETURN IN OCTOBER RESTORED TO DIGNITY.

IN BONDS OF THE OLD SOUTH.

JERRY

+Quote Post
fisher2511
post 1st Jun 2011, 01:26pm
Post #22

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,653
You can be sure that if Wallace's betrayer had drunk at the well, Glasgow labour council would spare no effort in saving the site.

+Quote Post
numan22
post 1st Jun 2011, 02:39pm
Post #23

Unpacking
Member No.: 2,513
Surely the new SNP Council could do something?

+Quote Post
*Kenny Jenkins*
post 1st Jun 2011, 04:10pm
Post #24

What is actually needed here? A few people to go down there one sunny morning and fix the wall. Did William Wallace complain about on a website?
If the memory of Wallace means anything it means direct action by the Scottish People. What are you waiting for?

+Quote Post
Harrymc
post 1st Jun 2011, 04:38pm
Post #25

Special Visitor
Member No.: 5,658
I recently recorded a wee video of the Well and also the Monument in which I made some observations about the lack of any indication that these historic site actually existed.It can be accessed through the Reminicences of OldSpringburn site if anybody is interested.
I wondered then if Wallaces Well wouldn't,like the Monument almost is,end up as a feature in somebody's garden given the amount of housing development that 's taken place in the area.
Mind you it might be better preserved there if it did.
These people in the Council don't seem to have any respect for history and as Wellfield comments the Tourists that such site could attract,if there was something to indicate that they exist at all.

+Quote Post
angel
post 1st Jun 2011, 07:09pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
QUOTE (fisher2511 @ 1st Jun 2011, 12:34pm) *
You can be sure that if Wallace's betrayer had drunk at the well, Glasgow labour council would spare no effort in saving the site.

That's Scottish history in a nutshell!

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
Crewsy Fixer
post 1st Jun 2011, 07:59pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,545
Well said Kenny Jenkins, Wallace didny wait for planning permission.

Dont talk to me of Scotland The Brave

For if we dont fight soon

There will be nothing left to save

Or would you rather stand and watch them dig your grave

While you wait for the Tartan Messiah.

+Quote Post
GG
post 2nd Jun 2011, 12:21am
Post #28

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
The poll now has 754 votes cast, the most for any Glasgow Guide poll. I thought that you might be interested in the geographic breakdown of the votes, which include (where it can be established) voters from 24 countries around the world. Please see the attached image below.

GG.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
weecal
post 2nd Jun 2011, 01:33am
Post #29

Special Visitor
Member No.: 208
Martin. Could not someone like yourself working through The Robroyston Wallace Monument Admin. approach a local National Bank branch and set up a fund that accepts donations? Going by the proceeding comments I think there would be great financial support and when there is enough money the council could be approached to match PGB for PGB and get the work done.

+Quote Post
Rob Rattray
post 2nd Jun 2011, 05:06am
Post #30

Visitor
Member No.: 7,864
I have stated before, and will do so again thart it is absolute hypocrasy of the council NOT caring for this historical site [the Wallace Well and surrounds] Where would they be today, apart from fat cats with public monies lining their pockets if it was not for freedom for which William Wallace fought so valiantly? My poor Grandfather, a staunch Glaswegian of Bridgeton, is turning in his grave over this desecration!

--------------------
God Bless
Rob

"SUPER SIDERA VOTUM”

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.