Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

7 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Oops ... We've Lost (most Of) A Tram!, One item not going to the Riverside Museum
wombat
post 15th Feb 2011, 10:30pm
Post #76

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
QUOTE (Rab @ 14th Feb 2011, 10:44pm) *
I agree! A good clippie round the lug is whats needed. wink.gif

rolleyes.gif wis prolly druggies thit done the job,had a cuppla "lines" furst

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 15th Feb 2011, 11:09pm
Post #77

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (johnamato @ 15th Feb 2011, 08:51pm) *
the stuffs probarlay lying in some council yard somewhere or a basement in the trongate and the person who put them there is dead

That's probably nearer to the truth than you'd think. Might even be a few tea chests stuck away somewhere long forgotten stuffed with files full of lists rolleyes.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
JMG
post 7th Jul 2011, 03:37pm
Post #78

Unpacking
Member No.: 11,163
hello, im quite disappointed to read of this.
i went to see the new museum and committed to the girlfriend that i thought a few trams were not on display - i just put it down to the place being mobbed because of the summer holidays - we just had a quick look around and planed to go back when the schools return.

how to you lose such a large item? i started to look around the Internet to see if i could come across any signs of these trams, i have found a few pics and other bits of info on who removed the trams from the old museum.

the main removal team was - Constantine who from what i have read removed most of the "light" items and a the firm that moved the trams as Alleys group.

Attached Image

the picture shows the tram 1088 ready for removal

I'm going to keep digging around to see if i can find any newer images/videos hopefully i will find the actual uplift of this as i have seen the uplift of some of the other trams, some pictures show the trucks these were put on.

i know tram 1088 cant be located and i think the other is 672 the cream one?? can any one confirm the exact trams??

i hope these trams are found and returned to the people of Glasgow!

JMG

+Quote Post
JMG
post 7th Jul 2011, 05:26pm
Post #79

Unpacking
Member No.: 11,163
Thank you for your enquiry received through Glasgow Museums Collections Navigator.

T.1964.35.b - Tram Car, 'Room and Kitchen', single deck car, circa 1900 - and T.1964.35.d - Tram Car No 1088, reconstructed enclosed vehicle with hex dash, 1928-32 - are both currently on display at Riverside Museum

(http://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/museums/our-museums/riverside-museum/Pages/default.aspx )

Many thanks,

T. Hawkins

+Quote Post
GG
post 8th Jul 2011, 12:52am
Post #80

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
JMG, I believe that the items lost were 'taken' from storage and not from display, so it is probably not the items you were thinking of.

That said, if we put the loss of the tram car aside, the loss of the other items, including: boxes of tramcar drivers' timeboards, old tram tickets and approximately 50 rolls of unique colour film of the trams running in Glasgow's streets in 1960s, is disgraceful. Can you imagine how much of Glasgow life from that period would have be included in those films?

As yet, according to what has been published in the media, the items have not been retrieved and Glasgow Life is still to apologise to the pensioner who kindly put his trust in Glasgow museums.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Dunvegan
post 8th Jul 2011, 02:27am
Post #81

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,038
Disgrace is not the word for it. All kidding and swanking aside I could have been in them movies. I was once surprised to see myself in a news report on TV about the closures off the upper Clyde ship building consortium. Living in a country now that would spend three years arguing about the merits or otherwise of preserving a country dunny, I am annoyed at seeing my history, and yours, disappearing into the hands of unscrupulous collectors.

+Quote Post
GG
post 31st Jul 2011, 09:24am
Post #82

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Just read the following, from the minutes of the February 2011 meeting of the board of directors of Culture and Sport Glasgow (Glasgow Life) ...

With regard to the Artworks Audit and Museums Security

[a] that the creation of Glasgow Museums Collection Management
section in 1993 had greatly improved the care of collections, with
over 1 million items inventoried;

[b] that there were a number of recent thefts of items, as well as
historical losses, with efforts ongoing to recover missing items;
and

[c] a cross service group were involved in the production of a review
of security in Glasgow Life, and progress to date had seen the
completion of security audits for the buildings in scope; and

[d] the group were now considering revision to the operational models
with Glasgow

Proof, according to CSG/GL, that thefts have taken place during their watch, and that items from the collection were not simply 'mislaid' or 'lost'.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
klingon
post 2nd Aug 2011, 12:35am
Post #83

Super Resident
Member No.: 4,815
Aye they checked the Barras but only found 15 counterfeit tram fronts there! laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
I hate two faced people-I don't know what face to punch first!

+Quote Post
kenb
post 28th Sep 2011, 12:30am
Post #84

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 11,294
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 1st Feb 2011, 12:25am) *
It is called Looting and Plundering anywhere else.

i like your style you must be on the computer all day theft by design mad.gif or is it planned

--------------------
WEY HEY

+Quote Post
tamhickey
post 28th Sep 2011, 03:58am
Post #85

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,833
Stephen Purcell, once leader of the council turned out out be a homosexual (so what), an admitted drug taker and heavy drinker as well as being linked to some of Glasgow's gangsters, yet was never prosecuted. It makes you wonder, though I have no proof of this, that he may have been open to blackmail from those same gangsters. He was advised by the police that this could be the case yet, still he goes about his business where many others would have been arrested. It does make you wonder about his entire tenure at the city council. He ought to be fully investigated by the police, just as the rest of us are subject to the law of the land.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 28th Sep 2011, 07:59am
Post #86

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (kenb @ 28th Sep 2011, 01:16am) *
i like your style you must be on the computer all day theft by design or is it planned

I used to be on the computer all day, for reasons that are well enough known on the boards.
What I've posted, in the form of pictures or articles, was available for free download.
(This in case you might be referring to my theft by design.)
If not, then I must agree with you that it seems planned.
I once purloined a big vice from a workbench which had a carpeted surface; I needed it in order to be able to do a difficult job, in a hangar at Gatwick. I covered the bench with an aluminium sheet. The team whose bench it was spent ages going around the hangars trying to locate their carpet covered bench which had been replaced with the one that was covered in alu ... it never entered their heads that their vice was the designed theft. tongue.gif
(I put it back when I left after the contracted repair was finished ... who needs to lug such a big vice around?) rolleyes.gif
Plankin' things under peoples noses then removing them when the heat's off was state of the art purloining in the RAF. laugh.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”

+Quote Post
kenb
post 28th Sep 2011, 10:55am
Post #87

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 28th Sep 2011, 08:45am) *
I used to be on the computer all day, for reasons that are well enough known on the boards.
What I've posted, in the form of pictures or articles, was available for free download.
(This in case you might be referring to my theft by design.)
If not, then I must agree with you that it seems planned.
I once purloined a big vice from a workbench which had a carpeted surface; I needed it in order to be able to do a difficult job, in a hangar at Gatwick. I covered the bench with an aluminium sheet. The team whose bench it was spent ages going around the hangars trying to locate their carpet covered bench which had been replaced with the one that was covered in alu ... it never entered their heads that their vice was the designed theft. tongue.gif
(I put it back when I left after the contracted repair was finished ... who needs to lug such a big vice around?) rolleyes.gif
Plankin' things under peoples noses then removing them when the heat's off was state of the art purloining in the RAF. laugh.gif

hi again i cant seem to get it right try again hi tee i am sorry if you thought i was infering any thing i actually look forward to your posts,you have a similar type of humour to me i hope i have cleared that up , so hurry up and give us a laugh,or inform us and keep me right cheers.
kenb

--------------------
WEY HEY

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 28th Sep 2011, 12:12pm
Post #88

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
dinnae you worry yersel kenb - you infer awe ye like aboot oor THEE - he has heard most of it awe before lol
mind you, i dont think he'd like it if you inferred he would turn doon his name from appearing oan the next honours list, in the knights column!!!

(there might be wan gaun spare, THEE - Ed Miliband implied yesterday, in his speech, that a certain mr fred goodwin, might do well to return his laugh.gif )

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 28th Sep 2011, 12:45pm
Post #89

Mega City Key Holder
Sorry Davy, but the only second hand things in my life are my cars ... and my ladies. tongue.gif
Ken, don't you worry ... you'd have to go some tae catch up wi' that Tommy Kennedy. rolleyes.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
kenb
post 28th Sep 2011, 01:25pm
Post #90

Mega City Key Holder
wee davy and lord tee cheers rolleyes.gif

--------------------
WEY HEY

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th Dec 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.