Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jaconnelis, glasgow memories
andypisces1
post 1st Jun 2005, 12:47pm
Post #1

Special Visitor
Member No.: 1,621
My teenage years are highlighted by the local cafe, Jaconnelis. located on maryhill road at queens cross and is still there.
It was where we met the girls and all your buddies(pals). The juke box playing all the latest hits ....bill haley, elvis presley etc, etc. Thruppence per play or five for a shilling. We would all gang together to raise one or two shillings and that juke box was never silent.
The ice cream was fantastic and i still make a beeline for a double nougat every time i go home. The shelves lined with sweetie jars and display cabinets full of oddfellows mars bars macaroon bars and dont forget those delicious cream snowballs.
One night stands out most vividly and that was when someone came in and told us all about the man utd air disaster. It was such a shock as they had captured every football fans imagination with their young stars and the brilliant scottish manager Mattt Busby.
Ahhhhh the cafe what a place, what memories, thank you Mario( the owner)......andra
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
brian16
post 26th Feb 2006, 01:48pm
Post #2

Settling In
Member No.: 2,720
I dont know if anyone remembers this but, a few years go they were moving one of the counters in jaconnelies for something and found an old newspaper that was left there the date the cafe was openned or something along those lines.

+Quote Post
Jan Williams
post 26th Feb 2006, 03:36pm
Post #3

Super Resident
Member No.: 628
I do remember The Lido in possilpark, my father was so strict that he said he's swing for me if I ever went to a cafe, all those years ago I had no idea what he meant but the tone of his voice was bad enough. I had to endure going to the city bakeries tearooms with my gran or worse still tea in Bremners warehouse, where I was always told to watch my P's & Q's, what was my dad trying to tell me, Not to embarass him ??????????????????

+Quote Post
brian16
post 26th Feb 2006, 03:57pm
Post #4

Settling In
Member No.: 2,720
does anyone rememer bert coccoza's cafe on maryhill road? or hannnah's cafe in lambhill? my mum said she use to walk out to the cemetary on sunday and on the way back go into hannah's cafe.

+Quote Post
jock
post 28th Feb 2006, 12:06am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 32
Went to Cocozza's many, many, times. I lived on Simpson St. only a few minutes away. Their ice cream probably not quite as good as Jaconnelli's but their 'hot peas' couldn't be beat!!!

+Quote Post
BallindallochNZ
post 28th Feb 2006, 02:04am
Post #6

Special Visitor
Member No.: 465
I too have great memories of going to Cocozza's after a night at the Blythswood cinema cross the road. Usually we had an ice-cream but occasionally had hot peas when we were hungry. My kids thought this was hilarious when I told them.

Another great place further along Trossachs Street was Bundoni's fish and chip shop. We queued up there most Friday nights for our fish suppers, after Dad got home with his wages. It was an Italian family business - Mum, Dad, at least two daughters and a couple of sons. Absolutely first class food.

Both Bundoni's and Cocozza's are mentioned in Robert Douglas's book "Night Song of the Last Tram". A wonderfully nostalgic look at life around that part of Maryhill during and just after the war years. Had lots of laughs and a good cry and thoroughly enjoyed it. What memories.

+Quote Post
andypiscesagain
post 28th Feb 2006, 01:28pm
Post #7

Super Visitor
Member No.: 2,620
another good cafe was along raeberry st. that was pops cafe at the foot of kirkland st. Used to go in there often as my wife and her friend lived on raeberry st and north woodside rd. You know when i thiunk of it the cafe was a much more fun place than most of the bars....andy steele

+Quote Post
Wee Annie
post 15th Mar 2006, 05:37pm
Post #8

Settling In
Member No.: 2,951
Can any one remember the cafe across from the Lycum in Govan . It was smashing, listing to the juke box and drinking coke. Flirting with the guy's and maby letting one of them walk you home,we always had a good time. I have been home twice since 1963 . and it was still there still looking like it did the last night I was there . I bought a coke ,played the juke box and just sat thinking about all the good times I had ,who ever started this memorie thanks Wee Annie smile.gif

--------------------
To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover the prisoner...................was you

+Quote Post
stratson
post 15th Mar 2006, 08:05pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
The Bluebird Cafe at Queen's Park Pollokshaws Rd had the best
ice cream ever.
The owners were the Valerios. The windows were beautiful with a royal blue velvet background and a large box of chocolates strategically placed in the windows.
Is now an Indian Restuarant, Shimlah Pinks.
I worked there when I was 16, 5 shillings a shift.
Remember old Mr. Toffollo (Toffollo Jacksons) coming in every Sunday morning, he was a proper old gent, on retrospect he looked like a character from Poirot.
Acquired my taste for coffee there, had never tasted it before in my life, there were lots of waitresses working there,
I wonder if any of them are still around, made friends with Kathleen McCahery there and to this day are still friends.
This was my other job.
Worked full time for a whiletoo.
Ah.................YESTERDAY!

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
annie laurie
post 16th Mar 2006, 05:54am
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 73
Hello Annie,
Yes I remember that cafe in Govan just a 100 yards from the St Anthony's Catholic Church,
We used to get a Ice Cream float I think it was called,American cream soda and Ice Cream and raspberry sauce sort of thing sprinkled on the top, terrific,
Cant believe it is still there Annie,
I visited Govan in 2002 and was saddened how quiet it was and it was a Saturday Afternoon also,
Would not have reconized the Govan Cross was my Big brother who was telling me all the old Names and places,
Still makes you feel good to think about the good times, rolleyes.gif >>>>>Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+Quote Post
sboyd
post 27th Jun 2006, 02:36pm
Post #11

Visitor
Member No.: 3,470
Ma granny lived just across from that cafe in Govan, she lived above the chip shop across the road. I loved going to visit her, I'd get my black pudding supper and then I'd run over and get my ice cream nougat!!!

Glad I don't live in Glasgae anymore I'd be a 50st heffer!!!

laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Avril
post 3rd Jul 2006, 11:07pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,509
smile.gif Jaconelli's Cafe has been famous for it's ice cream for years. I remember my mum and dad telling me that they used to go there when they were courting just before the outbreak of the second world war, therefore I just had to include it in my new novel titled 'What's for Ye, Won't Go By Ye' (by Avril Dalziel Saunders) The story starts in Possilpark when Linda Macgregor is born in 1948, then it traces back to the romantic love story of her parents before and during the war. It takes us through the peaceful 50's and the swinging 60's. Maryhill, Ruchill, Springburn and Milton are just a few of the areas featured in this fiction story. It is an emotional tale but one that lots of Glaswegians will relate to. In true Glasgow fashion the humour shines through, even when times are tough!

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 9th May 2007, 01:28pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
i got 2 pic of jaconnelies yesterday on my phone a will up load then when home it has not changed the seating and juke box is still the same a was taken back in time
as it was right next to the co op funeral parlour a could not belive it

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
Tortured_Soul
post 9th May 2007, 02:54pm
Post #14

Visitor
Member No.: 4,726
Are you talking about Jaconellis on Maryhill Road near Thistle's Stadium or somewhere different?

Interesting fact: My Gran and Grandpa met there...

+Quote Post
Avril
post 10th May 2007, 08:27pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,509
QUOTE (stuarty @ 9th May 2007, 02:45 PM) *
i got 2 pic of jaconnelies yesterday on my phone a will up load then when home it has not changed the seating and juke box is still the same a was taken back in time
as it was right next to the co op funeral parlour a could not belive it

Looking forward to seeing the pics stuarty smile.gif

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes/Treachery and Triumph...TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.