Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> State Cafe, ferris
odeonclubboy
post 8th Nov 2011, 02:57pm
Post #1

Special Visitor
Member No.: 12,134
i see everyone refers to the state cafe in shettleston whereas we always referred to it as ferris after the owners the ferri family...rer icecream! i had my first coca cola in there this would have been in the early 50's and there was what seemed to me then this huge machine at the back from whence came an ice and i do mean ice cold bottle of coke later i used to fequent a cafe further up shettleston road towards sandyhills past the billboards but i dont remember the name
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 8th Nov 2011, 03:19pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
The Ferris´ ice cream was briiliant - I don´t know if it was the secret ingredient of fresh unsalted butter that did it. I knew the family well, as I started frequenting the place in 1959 aged 17 until about 1962. I say "frequented" but I spent most of my time there, being hopelessly besotted with the lovely Silvia, much to the detriment of my further education. Her sister Vira (Elvira) also worked in the café and brother Rico was in charge of the business. Bertie(Umberto) worked the van operation. I do not recall the name of the other café across from Gartocher Road , as our clique only used it when the State was shut. At that time I lived in Blackcroft Road. I saw some of my mates up until about 30 years ago but I have been unable to trace anyone since.

As I am now 69, i guess we went to the Odeon Club at different times - still remmber all the corny sing-songs - 2 Lovely Black Eyes, Daisy, Daisy etc- movies were mostly Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, Bowery Boys etc At that time I lived round the corner from the Palaceum and across the road from Deans´s pub.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
odeonclubboy
post 8th Nov 2011, 03:43pm
Post #3

Special Visitor
i grew up in shettleston as a boy but now live in oxfordshire i will be 65 next year and am planning a holiday for my 65th birthday we will be staying in ayr but i shall visit shettleston...i havnt been for years last time i was so sad to see the state (cinema) had been demolishedyou must remember the red sandstone building opposite the state i had a pal who lived there ian paterson...by the way did you go to eastbank?

+Quote Post
odeonclubboy
post 8th Nov 2011, 03:55pm
Post #4

Special Visitor
by the way i love the forum topic headline "cafes & dining" the only "dining" i ever did in shettleston was mince and tatties and gies a piece!

+Quote Post
tamhickey
post 9th Nov 2011, 06:24am
Post #5

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,833
I worked in the Sheiling bar in Shettleston almost 30 years ago and we had the finest west of Scotland cuisine on offer then; porker suppers for the lunchtime guys. A huge sausage supper for less than you'd pay in the chippie for the wee sausages. I didn't stay there too long as the place went nuts at the weekend and there was a lot of trouble in it. I don't think the food had anything to do with it though!

+Quote Post
odeonclubboy
post 9th Nov 2011, 12:26pm
Post #6

Special Visitor
i remember the name...the sheiling but cant think where it is the only pub i was ever in in shettleston is the one on the corner of killin street and shettleston road

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 9th Nov 2011, 01:33pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
The Sheiling was further up towards Gartocher Road. The one at the corner of Kilin Street is the Railway Taxern with The Kirkhouse opposite. Never been in any of them, apart from once in the Sheiling- that wa enough and that was way back. The Gables (corner of Sandyhills Road ) was OK- was a post office/ general store when I was a kid.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
odeonclubboy
post 9th Nov 2011, 01:37pm
Post #8

Special Visitor
my reccollection from when i was a young boy is of the kirkhouse being a bit rough my uncle billy used to drink in there and he was a bit of a lad!

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.