Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The White Elephant, A Disco
Doug1
post 4th Nov 2014, 09:25pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
QUOTE (campbell gordon @ 4th Nov 2014, 03:59pm) *
I worked there in the 70's for John Quigley and a manager called Duncan.
The DJ was a girl called Julie I think and there was nice photographer who took pics of the punters. I remember a steward called Jim who was a martial arts guy from Bellahoustan and wee Jet who wore all the silver gear. I met him last year in Union Street and he looked the same.

Hi Campbell

Julie was the girlfriend of Max Langdon who with Frank Lynch were directors of Unicorn Leisure, the company who owned the WE. Julie was a lovely girl and I worked with her during my time there. She drove a Morgan sports car which I well remember as I drove a Triumph TR6 then. John Quigley went on to manage the Savoy Centre. I only met John once after leaving the WE when he and Max popped into my brothers hotel in Glassford Street for a drink and I happened to be doing the bar at the time.

Cheers

PS was the manager you refer to not Graeme, he and his girlfriend worked there for a long time and looked after the main club area whilst John Quigley always did the door with a steward called Billy Marshall

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 4th Nov 2014, 09:35pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Guest @ 16th Aug 2012, 02:26pm) *
Nightporter,

I worked in the White Elephant as a steward too. I remember John Quigley, and also a manager named Jim Ireland, and I too drank in LAUDERS and The MUSCULAR ARMS before starting work in the disco.

Hi Guest

The 'night porter' was a name I used on another site so not sure why it turned up here but not to worry. We used to go to the Musky for a pre-work pint because it was of course owned by the same firm that owned the WE. Lauders was closest but if I met any of the lassies I worked and we went into Lauders you always got hassle from their bar staff over the girls' ages. I think their ages letting women in was 21 lol

Cheers

--------------------

+Quote Post
*Quigley87*
post 15th Dec 2014, 09:20am
Post #18

Nice to hear so many people have fond memories of the White Elephant and The Savoy. I am John Quigleys daughter. He is doing well.

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 15th Dec 2014, 09:08pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Quigley87 @ 15th Dec 2014, 09:37am) *
Nice to hear so many people have fond memories of the White Elephant and The Savoy. I am John Quigleys daughter. He is doing well.

Hi. I worked with your Dad in the White Elephant and have ever such fond memories. Graham and Sandra (his girlfriend) looked after the disco and bars are while your Dad mainly minded the downstairs door. Julie was the DJ. Last time I saw your dad was in my brothers hotel in Glassford street when he and Max Langdon called in for a lunchtime drink

Please give him my best wishes.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.