Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ceylon Tea Centre, Tearoom/Restaurant
*Guest Little Eva **
post 11th May 2008, 01:28pm
Post #1

I wonder if anyone remembers the Ceylon Tea Centre, an upstairs off-the- street entrance in Buchanan Street? This innovative restaurant-cum-tearoom was a revelation after the tearooms of Trerons, Copland and Lye and the famous Wendy's. Its attraction lay in the new-style salad bar and choice of proper leaf teas, followed by the most magnificent, decadent cream cakes ever!
This establishment was queued up the stairs every lunchtime and also stayed open for tea until 6.30pm. I have no memory of when it closed, but along with the Kenco Coffee House, it filled the gap between Tearooms and Stakis Steakhouses in the 1960's.
Eva.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tennscot
post 11th May 2008, 05:44pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,796
My Wife worked there when it first Opened. Down stairs was Cakes & Sandwiches & upstairs Salads. Food was excellent.

+Quote Post
bluebell woods
post 23rd Jun 2008, 01:51pm
Post #3

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,801
Hi little Eva............the Ceylon Tea Centre was in Queen St, and the Kenco Coffee House was next door. Greggs the bakers was on the opposite corner of Queen /ST and George Square, I worked close by. The Ingram Bar was also opposite. The food was lovely and there was no other place to match it. We went there for lunch every day, if there was a big queue in one, then we went to the other.

+Quote Post
*Guest wilma **
post 26th Nov 2008, 03:25pm
Post #4

I WORKEN IN THE CEYLON TEA CENRE IN BUCHANAN ST IN 1969/70 I LOVED IT THAT WAS THE FIRST TIME I HAD HEARD OF SPORKS ANY ONE REMEMBER THEM SPOON COME FORK AND KNIFE.
I LOVED WORKING THERE I HAD MY REGULAR CUSTOMERS WHO WOULD WAIT FOR ONE OF MY TABLES I WAS VERY CHUFFED !! WHEN I GOT ENGAGED I RECEIVED SOME LOVELY GIFTS FROM THEM. THE FOOD WAS FANTASTIC

+Quote Post
*tony phillips*
post 16th Nov 2009, 06:36pm
Post #5

As a visiting yank studying at the university in the early 60's, I found the Ceylon Tea Centre to be a necessary alternative to the institutional food. I ate there often, along with many ladies who ate salads so that they could enjoy big desserts without guilt. Thanks for the memories! -- Tony

+Quote Post
mrssnuffy
post 12th Feb 2010, 12:11am
Post #6

Super Visitor
Member No.: 8,120
Hi, well do I rememeber the Ceylon Tea Centre. Thought it was wonderful. My Mum and I used to have lunch there once a week. One time, we were just about ready to leave when she noticed that the diamond from her engagement ring was missing. She had just been to the loo and washed her hands, so they went to the trouble of taking off the u-bend but no luck!!! Fortunately, we saw a little piece of "glass" on the car floor mat!!!

+Quote Post
*rosemary.halley@nt*
post 13th Apr 2010, 04:59pm
Post #7

I remeber going to the Ceylon Tea Centre with my sister every Friday luchtime to alleviate the boredom of working in a lawyers office. Would love to know what dressing they used on the salads, it was very creamy but not mayonnaise. Anyone have any idea.

+Quote Post
*jmhayes*
post 30th Apr 2010, 03:32pm
Post #8

Our whole family were very fond of the Ceylon Tea Centre in Buchanan Street, Glasgow. We did not even mind the half an hour wait on the stairs to get into the restaurant. The choice of delicacies was absolutely fantastic. I remember especially enjoying sardines, rice mixtures and other salad combinations, etc. Accompanied by the compulsory brown bread and lashings of Ceylon tea. I've often wondered where one could get the recipes for such fantastic and simple foods. Anyone out there know of such a recipe book?

+Quote Post
littlebernie
post 28th May 2010, 08:26pm
Post #9

Special Visitor
Member No.: 221
cafe,s what about the cafe called franci near abercrombie st
tea coffee icecream the italian ice cream 1960s
smile.gifsmile.gif

+Quote Post
kalgje
post 19th Jun 2010, 01:52am
Post #10

Visitor
Member No.: 7,899
I remember the Ceylon Tea Bar (as we called it). I must have been about 18 then, we felt quite sophisticated drinking our tea from a tall glass mug, no milk of course, salad with fruit and nuts, delicious then pastries to die for, great memories

+Quote Post
*lottie*
post 24th Jul 2010, 09:05pm
Post #11

My husband and I often talk about our visits to the Ceylon Tea Centre when we were poor students at Glasgow Uni. between 1968 and 1971. We used to save our bus money each week by walking from the Uni. to the Central Station, and what we saved treated us to our tea at the Ceylon once a week. His favourite salad was the fried bread in tomato sauce, and I loved the salad dressing. The queue was often half way down the stairs but the food and the lovely tea made the wait worthwhile. I agree with the prevoius poster - a recipe book of the salads would be wonderful! We once went to the Ceylon Tea Centre on Regent Street in London, but it wasn't a patch on the Glasgow one. Any prevoius employees know the secret recipes to the salads and the dressing?

+Quote Post
Rosebud
post 18th Jan 2011, 03:52pm
Post #12

Unpacking
Member No.: 10,012
What was in the Carott, cheese and onion salad to bind it together?

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 18th Jan 2011, 04:13pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
QUOTE (Rosebud @ 18th Jan 2011, 04:30pm) *
What was in the Carott, cheese and onion salad to bind it together?

Welcome to the boards Rosebud, was it Evostick rolleyes.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
Tennscot
post 19th Jan 2011, 08:08pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,796
My wife sez.. Food good.. Staff worked their botts off. one lady only , called Jean, cleared all of the tables,at the cash register you`d to total every thing in your head ,no totalizing on the cash register no price list beside the register.Tips few & far between. The late Gordon McCrae`s wife sat at the same place everyday. This was not long after it opened

+Quote Post
Rosebud
post 30th Jan 2011, 02:22pm
Post #15

Unpacking
Member No.: 10,012
Its a shame the only response I got to the request for an ingredient in the carrot, cheese and onion salad was"evostick". I'm sure somebody out there must know the answer. Please?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.