Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Eat Yer Crusts
Lizziesgal
post 20th May 2006, 06:23pm
Post #1

Unpacking
Member No.: 3,354
ma mammie always telt me tae eat ma crusts an I wid get curly hair......it is a wee bit wavy so mebbie there was some truth in it?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gardenqueen
post 21st May 2006, 07:30am
Post #2

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,280
I was told that too and ate mine up. The result is that I have masses of curls, quite out of control! Serves me right for being greedy and vain.

Mind you, you can't beat those crusts we had on our plain bread in Glasgow - I always enjoy them when I go back. My mum lives near a bread making factory and there is a constant smell of baking bread. It is worth going back for that alone. biggrin.gif

GQ

+Quote Post
Lizziesgal
post 21st May 2006, 11:06am
Post #3

Unpacking
Member No.: 3,354
Hi, Gardenqueen, you've just made my mouth water, I too used to love the taste of those crusts (especially the "ootsiders", which I loved to dip in cream of tomato soup). The other thing I love when I go back up is the fresh morning rolls and the potato scones - delicious. L

+Quote Post
gardenqueen
post 21st May 2006, 12:04pm
Post #4

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,280
Yes, Lizziesgal, those rolls were lovely. I used to have a banana roll every day for my lunch. Lots of butter (!!!!) too.

GQ

+Quote Post
Elma
post 21st May 2006, 08:34pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
Sorry to disagree, but I hated these black crusts, maybe that's why my hair is so straight..... smile.gif I do like the rolls though and the potato scones, mmm...good.

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 3rd Apr 2011, 09:54pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
My mother told me if I didn't eat my crusts Id get hairs on ma chist laugh.gif laugh.gif >>>>>>>>> laugh.gif

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 3rd Apr 2011, 10:07pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
Love and still eat black crusts and well-fire rolls (when I can get them) but my hairs still game of poker straight and always wanted curly hair. sad.gif \ Mary

+Quote Post
benny
post 3rd Apr 2011, 10:11pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
Ah wis told tae eat ma crusts as well. especially the black wans as it wid gie ye curly hair. - although ma Ma never ate them herself. Ah didnae need encouraging, ah loved them an ah've eaten them aw ma life. Wid that explain the big bald patch oan ma heid? biggrin.gif

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
andypisces
post 3rd Apr 2011, 11:45pm
Post #9

City Key Holder
Member No.: 21
When i usewd to take a piece tae work i loved a weell fired roll with cheese and beetroot

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 4th Apr 2011, 12:46am
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
I love bread and eat lots of it, bread is the only food that can fily up real fast.A still love a piece on whatever is in ma fridge. Well fired rolls , still the best tho biggrin.gif >>>>hi everywin tongue.gif

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 4th Apr 2011, 07:32pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
Ah'd kill fer a plain loaf - huvnae had ony in ower 3 years lol Cannae get them this side ai the country - but can over in the North West sad.gif

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 4th Apr 2011, 07:58pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Isn´t it strange the way they named loaves in Glasgow? A plain loaf was also known as a square loaf. A French loaf was nothing like any I have seen in France. A Pan loaf - well "Pan" just means " bread". A Vienna loaf was more like French bread. People still used to talk about a " half loaf".

Mind you, Danish pastries in Denmark are called Vienna pastries, if I mind right. Here in Spain a doughnut is sometimes calles a Berliner. At least we do not call hamburgers " beefburgers".

It just goes to show how confused people can get, even with simple things. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
benny
post 4th Apr 2011, 08:40pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
Aye, ye wonder at some o the names fur foods. Contrary tae first impressions, Cock-a-leekie soup his nothin tae dae wi incontinent chefs. smile.gif

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 4th Apr 2011, 10:43pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
Wee davy surely when you get visitosr down there, they bring a plain lof or 2 with them. When I visit my friend in London, never go down with less than 2 and a block of square sausages, When she,s up here , she takes back orders of plain loaves, square sausages and steak pies from the local village butcher. Mary

+Quote Post
zascot
post 5th Apr 2011, 06:44am
Post #15

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 612
Where I live they must have ate tonnes of crusts cause their hair is sure curly. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Take only photos. Leave only footprints. Kill only time.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.