Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

172 Pages V  « < 170 171 172  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Uk Independence Referendum - Brexit, Yes or No on EU membership
Rating 1 V
bilbo.s
post 20th Mar 2017, 12:01pm
Post #2566

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
http://evolvepolitics.com/michael-rosen-ab...utter-nonsense/

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 20th Mar 2017, 11:02pm
Post #2567

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545

Hold on, he's saying that millions of people migrating to the UK in a short time does not contribute towards housing shortages, more traffic and pressures on public services...

LMAO!!!!!

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 26th Mar 2017, 09:22am
Post #2568

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2...re_iOSApp_Other

I couldn't have put it better myself, as the saying goes.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 26th Mar 2017, 03:16pm
Post #2569

Mega City Key Holder

Doesn't that article contradict your argument for Scottish independence ?

Thats the problem with using Brexit as an excuse for another referendum, the economic, historical, and political arguments used for being out of the UK and in the EU are far stronger for remaining in the UK.
Economic, pfft thats just a given seeing that there is far more Scottish trade across the Scottish border than across the English channel. Who gives a crap that the market is 8 times bigger, theres 27 times the competition and the rUK still buys 4 times as much Scottish produce than the lot of them put together.
Historical, well maybe these 'expert' columnists dont quite get that 270 odd of peace on the mainland beats the 60 years of peace between members states due to the EU.
Political, the UK has shown that they can go to the table and negotiate power transfers to devolved governments (it still needs more imho) while the EU is striving for closer 'integration' AKA the United states of Europe.. Who can argue otherwise, in just over 50 years it went from The European Coal and Steel Community to the EU we have today. Give it another 50 and the members states will become exactly that...States, not sovereign countries.

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 26th Mar 2017, 03:36pm
Post #2570

Mega City Key Holder
All these Westminster cuts yet they seem to find millions of £'s to give away to non UK citizens.. A cynic would say what they're doing is buying votes from EU citizens in any upcoming referendum.. No such funds available to those citizens from England, Wales or Northern Ireland( Ireland get freebies though)

Free tuition at Scottish universities for students from the European Union next year, says Education Secretary John Swinney

STUDENTS from the European Union enrolling in Scotland next year will have free tuition throughout their courses, the Deputy First Minister has announced.

Education Secretary John Swinney said the confirmation would give EU nationals “reassurance” amid the failure of the UK Government to confirm rights would continue after Brexit.

The free tuition guarantee is already in place for eligible EU students enrolling this year and has now been extended for those enrolling in 2018/19.

On a visit to Dundee University, Mr Swinney said: “I am proud Scotland is a destination of choice for EU students and I am delighted to give them further reassurance by confirming that support for tuition-free studies will continue for those commencing courses here in the 2018/19 academic year.

“However, the continued refusal by the UK Government to give assurances to EU nationals living in Scotland that their rights will remain in place, ahead of the formal Brexit procedures beginning next week, is deeply concerning.

“EU students will rightly have concerns about any change in their status halfway through a course.”

The announcement was welcomed by Alastair Sim, director of Universities Scotland, which represents principals, who described it as “welcoming and assuring”.

He said: “Since Brexit, we have continually highlighted many of the issues that will impact on higher education and have called for clarity.

“EU students are of huge importance to Scotland and its universities educationally, culturally, economically and as a core part of many important courses.

“It’s right the Scottish Government have given clarity for students who will be thinking about choosing Scotland to learn, study and contribute.”

President of student body NUS Scotland Vonnie Sandlan said the statement would come as a “great relief” to the tens of thousands of EU students currently studying, or hoping to study, in Scotland.

She said: “This provides assurances about not only their student status, but also the positive way they’re viewed in Scotland and a recognition of the great contributions they make and the fact we don’t want to see a decline in EU students choosing Scotland as a place to study or call home.

“Students from outside the UK – be that within the EU, or beyond it – bring immense cultural, economic, and educational benefits to our universities and colleges, as well as wider Scottish society.”

Opposition politicians from the Scottish Labour and Scottish Conservative parties also backed Mr Swinney’s statement.

Liz Smith, the Scottish Conservative’s education spokeswoman, said: “Students and staff from the EU make a very significant contribution to our higher and further education institutions.

“While everyone recognises the complexities of the Brexit negotiations, I hope the UK Government will soon be in a position to give similar guarantees.”

Scottish Labour education spokesman Iain Gray added: “John Swinney was caught out last year holding back an announcement on EU students for a clap line at SNP conference.

“That left universities trying to recruit students without being able to tell them whether their fees would be paid or not, so it’s welcome that he has done the right thing in this case.

“EU students make a valuable contribution to Scotland’s education system, economy and cultural life.”

It affects nationals of other EU countries, including the Republic of Ireland, who plan to study for the whole of their degree at a Scottish university – not exchange students who come to Scotland for a few months on courses.

--------------------
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post

172 Pages V  « < 170 171 172
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.