Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Anna Watt – Of Fran And Anna – Dies, Curtain falls on best-loved celebrity sisters
GG
post 19th Feb 2009, 11:49pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
A unique chapter in Scottish showbiz history closed today with the passing of Anna Watt, one half of the variety sisters Fran and Anna, a duo who became household names in the early 1970s with the STV show, "Thingummyjig". Anna, 85, died of natural causes at the St Andrew's Hospice in Coatbridge, just over five years after her elder sister, Fran, died in October 2003 at the age of 81.

In a career that spanned almost their entire lives, starting as child performers in Lanarkshire clubs, Fran and Anna were the embodiment of Scottish kitsch with their famous trademark tartan mini-skirts, matching bunnets, rouged faces and fishnet tights.

The talented double act came to prominence with their music-hall singing and dancing act in the 1950s, followed by extended performances on the international cruise ship circuits, however, it was on the STV Scottish country dance show Thingummyjig that the pair found lasting fame, going on to greater fame with frequently calamitous appearances on Terry Wogan's chat show in the 1980s.

The sisters were awarded with British Empire Medals in the Queen's Birthday Honours List in 1989 for their services to light entertainment.

Attached Image

When Fran died in 2003 from pneumonia, Anna said:
"I don't understand it. Fran hadn't been ill at all really before this. I'm just stunned. It just won't be the same... I don't know if I'll work alone, I don't know what I'm going to do."

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 21st Feb 2009, 05:17pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
I vaguely remember their faces Martin, definately remember their names and always thought they were very popular in that era.
I think I got them mixed up with Fransie and Josie, were they both around the same time?

A wee chapter closed, they'll both be together again.

God Rest them .

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...

+Quote Post
Elma
post 21st Feb 2009, 05:59pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
I don't remember them at all but that doesn't make me less sad at the passing of another Glasgow entertainment chapter.

+Quote Post
stratson
post 21st Feb 2009, 07:59pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
I saw Fran & Anna on T.V. over the years. Mainly at New Year, their wee minnie kilts always did the trick. Devoted sister's.They will be "Together Again." R.I.P.

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 21st Feb 2009, 09:21pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
heres a picture of them both in their attire
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
Heather
post 21st Feb 2009, 09:55pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
They were a class act in their mini kilts and a good laugh.

RIP Fran & Anna.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
*barrie lawson*
post 14th Sep 2009, 01:50pm
Post #7

I knew fran and anna,i met them in 1971 on a cruise in the medditeranean doing what they did best. I met them again in london in 1975. We kept in constant touch.

They will be greatly missed. R.I.P.LADIES. YOUR FREIND BARRIE.

+Quote Post
*BARRIE LAWSON*
post 18th Sep 2009, 10:35am
Post #8

I have already sent you one messege regarding these lovely ladies.
I just cannot get them of my mind,i cannot beleive they are no longer with us. As soon as i wake in the moening,i start thinking about them,i can,t help it.

My heart goes out to their family and freinds,i hope i was lucky enough to be counted as one of their freinds.

MAY GOD BE WITH YOU BOTH. YOUR FREIND BARRIE LAWSON.

+Quote Post
*laila rana*
post 1st Aug 2017, 10:40pm
Post #9

hi i got Fran and Anna picture as in scrap books which have many 1979s black white pictures and many news paper cutting with mobile ticket centre bus and many other that is amazing who know about them if some one need or want to see pls contact us possible this scrap book going in ebay soon

we are in Scotland border area

thanks

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Sep 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.