Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Buckfast & Tomorrows Alcoholics, Pleased to welcome children
Purplefan
post 23rd Sep 2013, 04:24pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,685
http://www.buckfast.org.uk/introduction_152.html

The monks are pleased to welcome children.
Of course they are; they are the alcoholics of tomorrow.

Have any of you been on the tour?
I'm thinking of going and giving the monks a piece of my mind.

--------------------
To be is to do socrates
To do is to be Sartre
Do be do be do Sinatra
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 23rd Sep 2013, 06:44pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Purplefan have you tasted Buckfast?
Many moons ago in the bad old days when I took a drink I tried it and can assure you it is a quality product,very strong and not meant to be necked.
Point is its not the product or producers at fault but the minority of idiots who abuse it.

+Quote Post
GG
post 23rd Sep 2013, 07:49pm
Post #3

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
I've never tried the tonic wine, so can't comment on the taste. One thing that shocked me though was the very high concentration of caffeine in Buckfast. The following extract is from an article about the link between Buckfast and violence from the Scotsman in 2010:

[...] According to Strathclyde Police, one in ten of the 5,000 crimes reported which mentioned Buckfast was violent. During the same period, Buckfast bottles were used as weapons 114 times.

Police said the figures suggested there was an association between Buckfast and violence.

The figures were obtained via Freedom of Information legislation by the BBC, to be reported in The Buckfast Code, a programme broadcast tonight.

Asked whether the figures meant that Buckfast could be said to be associated with violence, Strathclyde police superintendent Bob Hamilton said: "I think it's clear from the figures that there is an association there."

The investigation also looked at the ingredients of the drink and how they could affect the behaviour of consumers, potentially making them anxious and aggressive if Buckfast was drunk in large quantities.

Neuroscientist Dr Steven Alexander said there were 281 milligrammes of caffeine in a bottle of Buckfast – as much as eight cans of cola.

Researchers found inmates at Polmont Young Offenders' Institution who admitted drinking two bottles of Buckfast a day.

Asked about the effects of a person consuming more caffeine than in 16 cans of cola, Dr Alexander said: "It's going to have him bouncing around all over the place because the anxiety levels, the adrenalin, will be running around.

"He will certainly be feeling very anxious, very aggressive."

Labour MSP Richard Baker believes new legislation is needed to reduce access to caffeinated alcohol products and said Buckfast was the most popular caffeinated alcoholic drink in Scotland. [...]

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Purplefan
post 23rd Sep 2013, 09:07pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 23rd Sep 2013, 07:42pm) *
Many moons ago in the bad old days when I took a drink I tried it and can assure you it is a quality product,very strong and not meant to be necked.
Point is its not the product or producers at fault but the minority of idiots who abuse it.

I lived on it for 15 years. wink.gif

--------------------
To be is to do socrates
To do is to be Sartre
Do be do be do Sinatra

+Quote Post
Purplefan
post 23rd Sep 2013, 09:19pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Asked whether the figures meant that Buckfast could be said to be associated with violence, Strathclyde police superintendent Bob Hamilton said: "I think it's clear from the figures that there is an association there."

The investigation also looked at the ingredients of the drink and how they could affect the behaviour of consumers, potentially making them anxious and aggressive if Buckfast was drunk in large quantities.

Neuroscientist Dr Steven Alexander said there were 281 milligrammes of caffeine in a bottle of Buckfast – as much as eight cans of cola.

I agree GG.
I think the monks do have a responsibility for what they put in their drink. 281MG of caffeine
is well high. I know when i drank it; i would get proper crabby. I would be angry and punch the wall.
when i had a drink, it calmed me down. When i was taken into hospital the doctor told me
my heart was racing like i had run a 100M sprint.
It dose taste good as juniper said. But now buckfast will always be associated with
drunks.

--------------------
To be is to do socrates
To do is to be Sartre
Do be do be do Sinatra

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 24th Sep 2013, 02:46am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Hey Purplefan,are you still necking this ? Who is this Juniper dude? rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 24th Sep 2013, 08:05am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545
If it wasn't Buckfast it would be something else, back when i was a lad the tipple of the day was El D or Thunderbirds, or as we called them a bottle of 'who ur you looking at'. There was violence back then too, the problem is the alcohol, the quantities its drunk in, and the the fact that there are some people who can start a fight in an empty room.

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 24th Sep 2013, 08:34am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 24th Sep 2013, 03:44am) *
Hey Purplefan,are you still necking this ? Who is this Juniper dude? rolleyes.gif

You're the berries Joop or perhaps PF is at the Gin again laugh.gif

I tried Buckfast once in a pub at an away game in Airdrie in the early nineties, i am not a wine drinker so i was apprehensive, i was surprised to find that it tasted quite good, never tried it again though.

Like John.mcn, when i was young the cheap wine of choice was Lanliq, Eldorado and Four Crown, but it was only the Dossers or Jakeys who drank it.

Is it true that STV are making a Glasgow version of Downton Abbey called Buckfast Abbey tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Purplefan
post 26th Sep 2013, 10:16am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 24th Sep 2013, 03:44am) *

No i've stopped now, i've been sober now for a few years.
Moved away from the bad influences and got a house and job.
But i do suffer side effects.
I drank so much that my left hand still shakes a little.
If i ever get a smell of wine then it takes me a while to stop thinking about it.
But on the whole, i am in a lot better place.
sorry bout the misspelt user name.

--------------------
To be is to do socrates
To do is to be Sartre
Do be do be do Sinatra

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 26th Sep 2013, 10:29am
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,701
Purple, I hope you are really proud of yourself.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 26th Sep 2013, 04:28pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
Keep it up PF, one day at a time.

But you realise supporting the Jags drives you to drink laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 26th Sep 2013, 05:52pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
PF after a lifetime on the sauce I got the gypsies warning six and a half years ago.Told the doc there and then Id taken my last drop;so far so good.I dont deny that I miss it but I prefer my liver to be functioning.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 19th May 2014, 06:01pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/business...s-first-3560611

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
*Tally Rand*
post 20th May 2014, 03:18am
Post #14

QUOTE (Jupiter @ 23rd Sep 2013, 07:01pm) *

Buckfast tonic wine! Right up there wi' that auld Guvin favorite V.P. At least the monks of Belgium devoted their skills to making drinkable and thoroughly enjoyable beers. Even if two of them could cause leg and balance problems. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 13th May 2016, 03:47pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,353
This guy is so right.... disgusting!!

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/1449069..._Buckfast_Day_/

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th Dec 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.