Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Springburn Pubs, Springburn in the 1970's
Rating 5 V
auchinairnboy
post 20th May 2008, 10:23am
Post #16

Super Visitor
Member No.: 4,782
There was also a pub on Springburn Road (Smiths?) just opposite the High Road which had a bar called the Kerry Inn and an off sales called the Kerry Hoot. It was near the Dolphin chippy
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
auchinairnboy
post 10th Jun 2008, 10:44am
Post #17

Super Visitor
Member No.: 4,782
..and there was also one called Bauldy Baynes in the 70s.

+Quote Post
*caz13*
post 8th Sep 2008, 06:28pm
Post #18

Arturo 1 Willie Kennedy was my grandfather.Great tale of him.Thanks.Have you any other recollections of him in Quins as i was only 4 when he retired from there.

+Quote Post
*Guest BigArturo **
post 19th Sep 2008, 01:47pm
Post #19

Caz13 - Your grandfather was a legend in Springburn. Despite his gruff exterior which you need to manage a busy pub, he was a diamond. Unlike many of the other pubs in Springburn which had regular fights on a Friday or Saturday night, Willie K ran a tight ship and any dodgy looking characters who might provoke trouble later on were refused service. From memory he ran the Bottom Bar, the main bar, at Springburn Road level and Big George ran the Top Bar on the Balgray, a quieter bar where we 17 year olds would be allowed a lager and lime despite being under age.
I remember when the Orange Walk marched on the Saturday that Willie K had the pub doors bolted shut. The reason being twofold – one to keep out any potential troublemakers of the unionist persuasion as Quinn’s was predominately a Celtic oriented pub, and the other to lock in big Tommy, one of the Quinn’s barmen who developed violent tendencies when The Sash was being belted out right outside the pub door.
I remember the article in the Evening Times, I think, when Willie K retired
after a lifetime of service to “potter around the garden” as he put it. Typical understatement from the man who was much loved by the punters. The sad thing is that the older generation than me who had lots of memories of Quinns are mostly gone or can’t access the Internet so there are barrowloads of untold stories out there. You have a grandfather you can be proud of as he was one of the true Glasgow characters who was a legend in the Springburn area.

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 19th Sep 2008, 05:51pm
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
Some Springburn pub pictures here and a wee Quin related story.

Old Springburn

+Quote Post
*A*
post 5th Dec 2008, 10:38pm
Post #21

How come nobody mentioned The Boundary Bar at Hawthorn Street and Springburn Road?

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 6th Dec 2008, 10:12pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
QUOTE (A @ 5th Dec 2008, 11:37pm) *
How come nobody mentioned The Boundary Bar at Hawthorn Street and Springburn Road?

Big Arturo mentioned it in the first post.

The Boundary Bar was at the corner of Hawthorn Street,

I think that's him beside the lamp post with a hat on.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 7th Dec 2008, 08:20am
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
QUOTE (A @ 5th Dec 2008, 03:37pm) *
Its been mentioned,and is well mentioned on the Springburn site--is anyone aware that the picture posted here is the original location,it was eventually moved to the opposite corner.

+Quote Post
*cami*
post 27th Mar 2009, 05:15pm
Post #24

QUOTE (BigArturo1 @ 9th Nov 2007, 01:35pm) *
In the days before mobile phones, we Caley boys used to have the phone numbers of all the pubs around the factory to enable us to warn thirsty workers who had nipped out during working hours, that their gaffer was looking for them. I well remember working in the Charles Street offices and getting a call from the storemen (who could not dial outside) to get me to warn someone who was drinking in The Peasie Club / The Cawder / the Sidings / The Glenbar etc..to get back to work quickly. The system worked well for years as there were various secret entrances around the factory perimeter which we could access throughout the day if anyone fancied a pint after the official lunchbreak.
The Caley storemen were legendary in their drinking exploits during working hours and I well remember a group of them escaped one summer afternoon to play bowls on the green opposite the Hurdy Gurdy pub in Townhead. They were spotted by a foreman passing in his car and were all docked a half days pay as I remember. Their Sunday shifts also involved regular visits via the railway van to the Ashfield Club in Hawthorn Street during working hours before that was sussed also.
Early morning visits (before the official 11am opening time) were often made out to The Budgie opposite the fruit market on Blochairn Road which opened early for the shift workers. Many a hangover was cured by an 0930 visit to The budgie for a roll and sausage washed down by a couple of pints of lager then sneaked back into the factory before the gaffers spotted we were missing. The lunchtime takings at these pubs must have been decimated when the factory slimmed down its workforce from 3000 to 300 in the 80's as you could not move between 12 and 1230 and between 4 and 5pm every day with thirsty railway workers.

hi i am cami grandson of wullie kennedy and ex calley worker too trimming shop thanks for memories of my grandad and the pub

+Quote Post
BigArturo1
post 9th Apr 2009, 01:02pm
Post #25

Visitor
Member No.: 4,755
THE KELVIN (GEMMILL'S) BAR

Situated at bottom of Balgrayhill, diagonally across from Quin's.
I used to drink in Gemmill’s which was called The Kelvin in the early 1970’s. The pub was then ran by manager Eddie Boyle, a Donegal man and his fearsome wife Margaret. They were supplemented in the muscle stakes by Eddie’s brother, big Mick who had hands like shovels and put them to good use sorting out the trouble-makers on a Friday and Saturday night. I remember it as a dingy, smoky bar mostly patronised by old men. Eddie would bring back bags of dulce (dried seaweed) from his visits to Donegal and it would be consumed by the locals along with the Guinness. I remember big Mick slipping a pickled egg into the pint of Guinness of old John Kelly, a local character when he was at the toilet. When the old guy returned and raised his glass to finish off his pint and this white egg rolled down his glass towards his nose – his reaction was a sight to behold !

There was another character, an old blind man who used his blindness to his advantage when at the bar by drinking other people’s whiskies then apologising, blaming his lack of sight. Everyone knew he was a chancer and one night the barman set him up by placing a whisky glass full of vinegar from the pickled egg jar beside his glass. True to form, the old guy would start feeling the bar to either side of him to see if there were any glasses he could “accidentally” swallow. He came across the vinegar glass and worked it towards him gradually along the bar before quickly downing it in a wanner. He spewed it all over the bar and was cursing everyone around him, much to the hilarity of the regulars.

As a teenager, I witnessed many a rammy at weekends which resembled a Wild West saloon with the Irish bar staff dishing out beatings to the local trouble-makers, with Eddie’s wife Margaret often in the middle of it kicking and punching with the best of them.

A regular source of trouble was the domino table at the back of the bar where they played for a half pint a game. Many a riot erupted when a player would slam his dominoes down on the table and his opponent would take that as “chapping” and play his hand only for the claim “I wis’nae chappin’ – only placing my men on the table”. The usual accusations of cheating before someone kicked the table, dominoes, half pints and all up in the air and a major brawl ensued before Margaret sorted them out.

I eventually migrated across the Balgray to Quin’s which was better run and you could enjoy your pint without regular punch-ups.

+Quote Post
tamhickey
post 10th Apr 2009, 03:04am
Post #26

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,833
When I was a daft young boy, I used to drink in the Vulcan bar at the weekends and me and my mates would go into the lounge after (and sometimes before) a Celtic game for a few refreshments. Although some people had said it as a "Rangers pub", none of us were ever bothered in there by anyone and there was a no colours rule that you had to adhere to regardless of your team.
Sometimes after the match we would get a Chinese meal if we were feeling flush and go to Stan's before getting blootered! He had a smashing wee restaurant just up the road from the Vulcan and believe it or not, he's still in business to this day with a takeaway up near the Milton!
Sadly, the Vulcan was bulldozed along with many of the pubs listed above and I now tend to drink in Bells bar or the hoose, but always with one of Stan's curries afterwards!

+Quote Post
jimmie
post 10th Apr 2009, 10:21am
Post #27

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 4,348
when i was a boy/young man i stayed in the then new flats on galloway st our local was the talisman a great pub then where everybody new everybody it sadens me to read its been lying empty for several years such a great big building going to ruin. anyway my boozin buddies were big nip,jamie skirvin,tam paton,johnny mccracken,wee jinky dolan,I could go on for ages anyway i would like to hear anyone that remembers they good old days in the talisman back in the mid 70s cheers. wink.gif

+Quote Post
jimmie
post 10th Apr 2009, 04:51pm
Post #28

Super Lord Provost
would like to hear fae anyone who drank in the talisman or the springinn or quinns on the balgaryhill in the mid 70s cheers.

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 12th Apr 2009, 04:50am
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
My family,The Scotts were often found to be having a wee drink in the Talisman but the faimly regular pub was the Spring Inn ,My dad was Known as Big Jock Scott from Galloway street closes[he was a total alky as they say],the twins Wullie & John then there was Donald James steven & then me [Linda]Mum was known as wee Meg always she wore her hair up in a bun they often went tae the spring Inn for the last 2 orders of the night frae Thurs tae sat nights,they spoke tae many including others frae Galloway street end,The McFaddens Rhues the Bullock faimly as well as the Griffins & Mclachlins & the Black faimly tae plus faur too many tae mention here.

My sister Margaret Scott had her wedding in the talismans function suite in 19 69 Ive attended several weddings there untill they shut the function room & turned it intae the huge Lounge bar & snooker room it became. There was also the odd Disco night oan a Sunday night wherein me & my pal Roseanne Kennedy went along with her Brother Joseph tae have a wee dance & a drink oan Sunday nights in the 70sI had many a drink once I turned of age to be there at the Talisman & SpringInn,in the late 70s my oldest Brother Wullie Scott drank there[he lived in the maissonettes] so my husband & I often met him there for a game of snooker & a drink,My name was Linda Scott frae Galloway street as I said before.

The family local was realy the spring Inn but we always called it the spring bin since we widd be springy in oor step gaun in there & totaly trashed by the time we came oot hehehe laugh.gif The Talisman is dereleict now it is virtualy dismantled comletely theres been issues getting it dealt with believe it or not as it is a listed building???Don't know why just heard that from my brothers,mind ye I saw it for myself last September October ,it was a nightmare of a trashed up mess apprently the shop underneath it won't sell up either for them to carry on & get it all demolished & rebuilt,that may be hearsay as faurs ah know mate so dinnae quote me as such. smile.gif Cheers!

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post
jimmie
post 15th Apr 2009, 03:42pm
Post #30

Super Lord Provost
how yae doin linda? long time no hear iv'e no been oot that way for a long time sad.gif it wiz a shame tae read aboot the talisman and the springinn.hid some good nights in both of them mer so the talisman probably crossed paths at some time and there's every chance a wiz sittin wae donald (big doods) and nip pratt (best mate) he wiz in donalds class at colston. bye the way ma wee jack russell a spoke tae yae aboot 3 year ago hiznae got any better he's still a wee wrong yin anyway linda speak tae yae soon wink.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Oct 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.