Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Amphora - Sauchiehall Street, Sauchiehall Street
GG
post 8th Dec 2008, 03:22pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Closed Glasgow pub starter topic for:

Amphora, Sauchiehall Street

Please discuss or tell us your memories of this former Glasgow bar here....

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BigArturo1
post 1st May 2009, 01:47pm
Post #2

Visitor
Member No.: 4,755
I remember my first office night out in the 1970's when we worked in the Caley Railway works in Springburn. The Amphora had these big half moon shaped seats that could accommodate a dozen at a time and we had booked one. I remember one young guy started on bottles of Newcastle Brown Ale which we warned him about as it was the Stella of its day. With the bravado of an 18 year old, he then supplemented the Nuclear Brown with vodka shots and went downhill rapidly. My last memory of him was when he "put the head" on his vodka glass sitting on the table in front of him, shattering glass everywhere and causing screams from the girls. Remarkably apart from a slight bruising on his forehead, he was unhurt and denied all knowledge of the incident when he came into work on the Monday. I was never much of a Newcastle Brown Ale man anyway but that incident put me off it for life !
From memory (admittedly failing), The Amphora was owned by the Eadie Cairns family and always did a roaring trade at weekends. We used to watch the Bobby Deans Jazz Band on a Saturday afternoon in the big lounge to the back of the pub. There was also a great local band - Below the Belt who played on a Tuesday night.
I think the pub was renamed Pythagoras and is probably called something else nowadays if still standing.

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 1st May 2009, 08:19pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
It's still standing. It was owned by Eadie Cairns whom i think also owned the The Blythswood and others. Jazz funk oufit Chico were regulars in the lounge

This is my guess as to where it was. And I think it has changed its name again.

+Quote Post
*Carina*
post 1st Jan 2011, 05:53pm
Post #4

Found this on a quick search....I tended bar there from 1975-1979 when Mr Curry was the manager. Oh my the stories I can tell about that place....I loved working Saturdays with Bobby Dean's jazz band.
Live in the states now but was last there in 2003...can't recall what it was called then but it was a completely different, sort of yuppified place.
I have many, many fond memories of Glasgow!

+Quote Post
*TomK*
post 22nd Jan 2012, 01:48am
Post #5

Late 70s/early 80s Saturday lunchtime in the Amphora was the best session of the week. I was never really a fan of big band music but it was different hearing it live in the Amphora. Couldn't believe how powerful it was. Most times we sat in the lounge bar and it was still unbelievably loud even in there.

We had our usual session the first Saturday pubs opened all afternoon and couldn't believe our luck. We were buying a round every ten minutes because we were convinced it must have been a mistake. Needless to say we were all fleein by teatime. Girlfriends were not at all amused smile.gif

Happy memories of Andy, Lez, Neil, Arthur from those days.

+Quote Post
bigarthur
post 19th Nov 2012, 03:31pm
Post #6

Visitor
Member No.: 2,271
TomK - I remember when the all day drinking came in. A crowd of my pals had taken a half day's leave one afternoon to go to the Odeon to watch Raging Bull which had just came out. We all met in The Horse Shoe Bar at midday for a spot of "lunch" before the 2.30 film showing and just got too comfy as the rounds were flowing. We had a vote around 2.15 whether to leave and head up to the Odeon or get another round in and the movie went by the board. To this day nearly 40 years later when we meet for an afternoon session in some pub, we refer to it as a "Raging Bull Day". When one of my pals got home later that day a bit the worse for wear and explained to his wife that we didn't make the cinema and had a few beers with the guys, she responded "Ned".
Yes it took a while to acclimatise to the all day drinking and pace ourselves otherwise you would be under the table by 5 o'clock ! Now it's just taken for granted.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Jun 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.