Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

10 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dugshots: Glasgow's War On Terriers, Enforcement spotlight turns on canine offenders
mlconnelly
post 1st May 2012, 10:54am
Post #106

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
I live in the Queens Cross area and I know Queens Cross Housing supply poop scoops to local residents free of charge. If someone is reported to them for dog fouling, that person will be sent a warning letter and may also get a visit from the local housing officers and again will be offer a poop scoop. Mary
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 1st Jun 2012, 10:28am
Post #107

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,353
Just saw the headlines in the Evening Times at the shops and it said that someone had been taken to court over doggie dirt and had been fined 160.... reminded me of this story and I take it its the same.

Will read the online story later and and update.

+Quote Post
GG
post 2nd Jun 2012, 07:34am
Post #108

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Yes, Scotsman, that was a consequence of the council policy which is the subject of this topic.

Apparently, an unidentified man from the city's East End was issued with a fixed penalty notice after he allegedly refused to pick up dog dirt. He then refused to pay the 40 penalty, and was reported to the procurator-fiscal. When he appeared in court, he was fined 100 and will still have to pay the fixed penalty fine, which goes up to 60 if not paid within 28 days.

According to the Herald today, without providing any evidence to support the claim, of course, "dog fouling was one of the top issues raised by city residents during the recent city council election campaign".

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 12th Jul 2012, 03:14pm
Post #109

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
Ah think all dogs should be micro chipped, there should be dog licences, dogs should be banned from all parks and finally dog owners should also be micro chipped...........in my dreams yes.gif

You'll probably gather ahm no a great doggie lover sad.gif

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well

+Quote Post
Heather
post 13th Jul 2012, 09:05pm
Post #110

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Where I live is a small Estate with all bought house's, semi detached and detached. Beside our house is a spare ground with tree's and bushes and the Council cut the grass every month. The dog owners who live in this area come up to the spare ground to walk their dogs and I have never seen any of them clean up their dogs.

A couple of years ago I asked the Council to put a ' No Dogs' notice up. A couple of Workmen came out with a paper notice they pasted on to the back fence which the dog walkers ignored and after a few months the notice was washed off with the rain.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
GG
post 13th Jul 2012, 09:27pm
Post #111

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
It seems to be happening all over the place , Heather.

I've always believed that the root cause to this problem, and many others, is an inability/unwillingness of a lot of people to behave responsibly, as part of a community of shared resources that relies on each other thinking about the needs and rights of everyone else in the community. To a much larger extent than today, we had this once in many Glasgow communities. IMO, it's been lost in the crass individualism and consumerism which today dominates much of the culture in society.

Put simply, many people are prone to think only about themselves!

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Heather
post 13th Jul 2012, 09:45pm
Post #112

Mega City Key Holder
Some children used to play on that grassy area, but I never allowed my g'children to play there in case they fell over and goodness knows what muck they would be covered in, especially if they got on their face.

--------------------

+Quote Post
angel
post 13th Jul 2012, 11:54pm
Post #113

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
While I was outside this morning , keeping my sidewalk clean and picking up any litter left on the outside of my fencing I had to pickup two small bags of dog waste . I guess the dog owner , thinks , she/he is being very thougtful , making it easier for me to clean up their dog waste , on my property .

A sign of things to come ! ...Probably angry.gif
http://youtu.be/d99qyB6TzlI

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 14th Jul 2012, 09:08am
Post #114

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (angel @ 14th Jul 2012, 01:09am) *
I had to pickup two small bags of dog waste . I guess the dog owner , thinks , she/he is being very thougtful , making it easier for me to clean up their dog waste , on my property .

A sign of things to come ! ...Probably angry.gif
http://youtu.be/d99qyB6TzlI

I have seen bags of dog dirt on beaches Angel, what's the point angry.gif

+Quote Post
Heather
post 14th Jul 2012, 10:20am
Post #115

Mega City Key Holder
The point is Jag, the dog owner should have taken the dirty dog bags away her/himself, not left them for someone else to clear away. angry.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
angel
post 14th Jul 2012, 12:37pm
Post #116

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 14th Jul 2012, 09:23am) *
I have seen bags of dog dirt on beaches Angel, what's the point angry.gif

My point being , That dog owners pick up their dog waste and either take it back to their own homes and dispose of it or find a waste container. Don't expect other's to clean up your dogs waste .

I don't happen to live in a pigen nor do I live on a beach , or for that matter any public area . this is my house /home and my private domain . " and that is my point ".

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 14th Jul 2012, 06:31pm
Post #117

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
Perhaps my grammar isn't up to scratch , but what i meant was, what is the point of dog owners bagging their dogs mess then leaving the bag for someone else to dispose of.

I'm on your side Angel/Heather.

+Quote Post
petunia
post 14th Jul 2012, 07:15pm
Post #118

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 6,822
I agree not all dog owners in cities clean up after their dogs so all dog owners are labelled alike which is not how it should be as I know of lots of people who never walk their dogs without at least 3 bags to lift up after their dog does its business. People who do not pick up should be reported and fined, there are enough cameras out there to know who is doing it.
I have 2 dogs and live in a rural area where people don't pick up but the only complaints would come from the coyotes, foxes etc.
As for beaches PEOPLE leave all sorts of trash there when they leave which ends up in the water, coffe cups, water bottles whatever, they also throw coffee cups, cans, bottles etc. into the ditches and peoples yards including mine which I have to pick up so it isn't only dogs owners, if people are pigs they are pigs.

+Quote Post
*Lobby Dosser*
post 23rd Jul 2012, 02:51am
Post #119

QUOTE (Doug1 @ 12th Jul 2012, 04:29pm) *
Ah think all dogs should be micro chipped, there should be dog licences, dogs should be banned from all parks and finally dog owners should also be micro chipped...........in my dreams yes.gif

You'll probably gather ahm no a great doggie lover sad.gif

You are beating "yir heid against" the proverbial brick wa' when dealing with the irrationality of all pet dog owners. Points according to them: 1. Their dog loves them unconditionaly. (no one else does). 2. Their dogs are persons. 3. Intellegent. 4. Better company than human beings. 5. And will always remain loving true and faithfull, making no emotional demands on their deplete reserves of human empathy.

+Quote Post
carmella
post 23rd Jul 2012, 01:04pm
Post #120

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
Doug1

Micro Chip only works if the dog is lost, stolen and then found, but it has to be found in the first place. I would micro chip all non dog owners.

Lobby Dosser

Well said Lobby Dosser you took the words out of my mouth, only thing missing in your reply is that you are wrong in some of your perceptions, and spoken like someone who has never owned a dog, or someone who has had one single bad experience with one. Otherwise you have no idea what you're missing. Give me a room full of dogs rather than a room full of insincere friends, with nothing and non-one's interests in mind other than their own, any day. There is an old saying, 'never judge a man until you have walked in his shoes'. Don't judge a dog owner, until you've owned a dog.

Incidentally, I don't have a sad life, quite the reverse. I have a very full and rich life, I am also not an irrational person, and I could say the same about my friends who have dogs, but the ones who don't have dogs, well that's another story (or cats for that matter). I feel sorry for them. In fact, they have a cold side to their nature.

Be careful before your start to generalize and tell us your perceptions of pet owners.

The truth of the matter is that when you take a dog for a walk to a park, or to the shore, you (the owner) clean up after your dog - this has always been the case with responsible dog owners. The ones you have all mentioned here are not responsible dog owners, and worse still, owners who don't care about their neighbours' environments or their own. There are plenty of plastic bags, there are even scoops you can use to pick up without feeling what you're picking up for the more sensative souls around, readily available in pet shops.

If people choose not to use them, by all means fine them. Unfortunately, in areas where they won't pay the fine, at the end of the day it's you and I who pay the fine for them, or they pay in weekly instalments.

I see absolutely no reason why dog owners should be prevented from walking their dogs in public parks, or through wooded areas, or at the sand on the beach - none whatsoever. Therefore, I disagree with most of what has been said.

Incidentally, I'm not concerned with what happens in the States or Canada only right home here in Scotland, as I have no idea what laws are in place for fouling in the States or Canada.

One thing I do think, however, and have always thought is that all dogs should be on a leash and not roaming around. My main reason for this is that you control your own dog better, and if the dog gets distracted it cannot then run across traffic and be killed - I often see people out with their dogs and my heart's in my mouth, because if the dog gets distracted it will be off without a fear for its own safety.

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.