Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Nostalgic Memories, First visit to Scotland since 1973
Heather
post 5th Aug 2005, 03:32pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Bunty & Davie, I thought your posts very good and interesting. Having lived in Glasgow all my days, I can imagine how surprised you were Bunty, at all the changes.
I was surprised to read that there are still remnants of the old shelters lying in the back green. I thought they were all cleared away years ago.

Bunty, that was really kind of you to send Peggy some of the photo's. I am sure she was very surprised and pleased to get them, especially all the way from America.

Ah yes Davie, we females are great at the doublers( bouncing two balls off the wall). I teach my g'daughters how to play doublers, but they are only 7yrs & 4yrs old, so they are still learning and we only have the side of the house to play against, and with the Roughcasting the ball can fly anywhere.
Now you have me thinking I should teach them Peever. smile.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 5th Aug 2005, 05:54pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
I used to play Doublers tae ,I used the wall in the Gable end ,yae know the space between the buildings , and wis it no cauld Beds ?and the the auld shoe polish tin yae used wis the peever
they call it[the game I mean] Hop Scotch over here rolleyes.gif

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
Seamus
post 5th Aug 2005, 06:02pm
Post #18

Unpacking
Member No.: 2,251
Anyone care joining me in the chatroom? I fancy a chat (and need some questions answering)

+Quote Post
buntyq
post 5th Aug 2005, 09:50pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 15
Mags, it was beds. I cant remember the rules. If you know how, let me know and I will show Suzy's wee lass. We always had a shoe polish tin. You never saw Scots with dirty shoes. Another peever was a piece of marble. The streets were our playground. This is mentioned in the book "Up Oor Close". Sadly, with all the automobiles the streets are off limits to children. My daughter hunted for a house on a cul de sac just so the kids could have a place to play safely. I know you are enjoying those little grandkids. wub.gif

+Quote Post
Melody
post 6th Aug 2005, 08:08am
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Remember the one where we got two empty tin cans washed them out and got somebody to put two holes in them, then threaded string through each and walked on them like stilts.
Nae wonder ma daughters think ah'm daft! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
buntyq
post 6th Aug 2005, 01:02pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Melody, you are no daft. We did that, too. I try to tell these kids here what we played with and maybe they are young enough to believe me. We did not have many toys and had to use our imagination. I think that was a good thing. Rainy days in Glasgow were hard on kids but we had all three stairs in the tenement to play in. I remember C&A used to mail flyers. The postman would half stick them through the mailboxes so we would take them. Cut up, they made great paper dolls. When my girls were young I used to ask for old pattern books. They are not so easy to get nowadays. Even with offering to pay for one for my granddaughter, Wal-mart told me that they threw them out! Can you imagine! I finally found one in another store. Each of my girls had her own book and we would stick them under the couch. They played for hours with these pattern books and they were free!

+Quote Post
Melody
post 6th Aug 2005, 01:09pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Bunty, yer right there, we seemed to play with whatever we could find, I can remember getting any old stones and making an outline of a house with all the different rooms, just on the ground outside. We seemed to play all day there until either the rain or yer mammy spoiled it all by calling us in! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 6th Aug 2005, 01:36pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
Some great readin in here bunty..ah burst oot the laughin when ye said yer girls put them unner the couch, ah STILL dae that!

Mind no long after we werr married, Geoff turnt tae me an said in exasperation 'Whit ye DAEN?'
Ah answert whit dae ye MEAN whit am ah daen?
Why dae ye pit magazines unner the cushions?
Ah couldnae answer him fur laughin,
1. cos ah hudnae noticed masel daen it an
2. ah didnae know why..we jist always did it laugh.gif

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...

+Quote Post
Angela Chick
post 6th Aug 2005, 02:06pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,713
Hi ladies,

I remember when my sister and i were wee we loved playing with our scraps, and swapping them with our pals,

Anyway we were looking out the window one night because my dad has grounded us for fighting with each other, we noticed hunners a scraps flying through the air so we ran doon to grab them afore anyone else got them, and when we were picking them up we heard someone laughing it was our wee brother he had flung oot our scraps from his bedroom window above us laugh.gif

angelachick

--------------------
Tell it like it is

+Quote Post
Heather
post 6th Aug 2005, 02:16pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I remember how we used to collect the caps off the beer bottles and make two wee holes in them, put a piece of string through the holes, then tie them on to our shoes to tap dance with. laugh.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
buntyq
post 6th Aug 2005, 03:57pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Keep coming with these memories - they are great. wub.gif to you all.

+Quote Post
Angela Chick
post 6th Aug 2005, 04:11pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,713
I also remember playing at shoaps,

collecting auld cans and filling them wae dirt, that wis tins of mince laugh.gif and dock leaves were cabbages's,

angelachick

--------------------
Tell it like it is

+Quote Post
buntyq
post 6th Aug 2005, 08:09pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Wet Georgia clay would make really good clabber. Was this what we called the mud we would form into wee cakes. Catherine, I still put unread articles under the couch cushions.

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 6th Aug 2005, 08:29pm
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
Bunty aw ma Canadian neighbours know tae look unner the cushions if they're lookin fur somethin laugh.gif
Ah thoat mud wis jist mud...two perts waater tae one pert dirt.

Ah mind the time we decided tae huv a wee shoap in ma pals garden shed, she'd went intae her mammys jewelery boax an ahd went intae mine.
Aw the ither weans boat the broaches an earrings an stuff wae ginger boattles...we'd aboot thirty an werr aw chuffed till the mums came hame fae work and we'd to go aw roon the hooses tae ratrieve the stuff.
Goat the slipper that night fur that wan!

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...

+Quote Post
carmella
post 6th Aug 2005, 09:24pm
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
Terrific stories indeed - I was so happy to read this Buntyq and I knew from what you'd told me before the trip, it was unlikely you would have the chance to see the beautful island of Arran - that is of no matter, however, you saw plenty.

You've shared it here with us, and taken back some beautiful memories.

Glad to hear from you.

--------------------
Silence is a true friend who never betrays.

Confucius - Chinese Philosopher - [551bc-479bc]

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Feb 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.