Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Nostalgic Memories, First visit to Scotland since 1973
buntyq
post 27th Jul 2005, 07:46pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 15
Suzyq and myself are home from a two week bus tour of Scotland. We went with Globus and would recommend them for a well planned itinerary which took us down to the Border country, up the east coast, with much sightseeing, then to the Orkneys and around to the beautiful western isles. The weather was perfect. I wished I could have bottled the air. So many changes in Glasgow. Even with one extra day it wasn't enough to show Suzy my beloved city. We met up with Davy McNaughtan who hailed a cab and took us up to see my old homes in Possilpark. I was surprised that all the closes now have door entries with a key pad but the lady living in Auckland Street took us in to her home so that Suzy could see it. She wanted us to stay for tea but we had a cab waiting. What kindness! It was great chatting with Davy who has helped me so much with my family geneology. I always buy lots of books and for those who want to remember life in the tenements, I suggest "Up Oor Close" memories of domestic life in Glasgow tenements (Springburn) from 1910-1945. It is exactly as I remember. I am so pleased that Suzy talked me in to going home and was able to share it with me. Since her bairns were with the grandparents in Gloucester, she had no worries.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Melody
post 27th Jul 2005, 07:55pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Ah Bunty, I'm so pleased that you so enjoyed your holiday and that you got to go to Auckland Street, I hope Suzyq enjoyed it all.
I'm sorry that I was away when you were here, I've sent you a e-mail just now. smile.gif Lovely that you met Davy.

+Quote Post
tammy
post 27th Jul 2005, 09:09pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,054
Bunty,

Where would I find that book?

As for the air..the first thing Phil said he noticed was the smells..said it immediately brought memories back. He said he could smell the different gas/petrol and smells in the air. From when he was small. I don't think he expected it. smile.gif

+Quote Post
buntyq
post 28th Jul 2005, 01:24am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
tammy, I bought the book in Borders, Buchanan Street. It is published by White Cockade Publishing. Their web site is www.whitecockade.co.uk. I paid almost nine pounds. There are two photos of the close chums. I have one taken in the 30's. I think you should be able to buy it either through Borders or Amazon.com. The air I referred to was in the Highlands. I was given a new Sony camcorder for my birthday and Suzy used it on our trip. A word of caution: always use Sony discs. My son-in-law was sold another brand that is not compatable and we cant play them back on the DVD or through the TV. We bought extra
Sony discs in Edinburgh and he was able to finalize them and play them back through the TV. We have lost a little of our trip. All this technical stuff is over my head. Hopefully, the snaps we took will be O.K.

+Quote Post
jessiemac
post 28th Jul 2005, 02:11am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9
Bunty welcome, wonderful to see your home safe & sound, theres nothing to beat that tour of Scotlands Islands & Highlands, as you say the amazing changes in Glasgow- did you take lot of pictures of those scenes, plenty reasons to start painting. cant wait to see your pictures. cheers Jessie

--------------------
Santa Monica CA

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 28th Jul 2005, 03:19am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
Buntyq,
sound like you had a fantastic time.Looking forward to some of your pictures. It was so great that you got to meet Davy.That was so good of him to show you about.Glad Suzy had a good time,

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
buntyq
post 28th Jul 2005, 08:39pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Greetings, Jessie. It was indeed a great trip. We lost one disc of pictures including Jedburgh, Walter Scott's home and the street riots over the Summit but the others seem to be alright. Suzy loved Edinburgh. We had time to see more of the Old Town when we first arrived but the police had road barriers so we had to squeeze as much as we could after a visit to the castle on Day 2. The main shops closed their doors against damage as did the restaurants. I can see why they did not have the Summit in Edinburgh. It would have closed down the city. It took us longer to leave the city because of the police check points but we had a great driver who knew the route to take and we stayed more or less on schedule. Hope all is well with you in Santa Monica. Bunty. wub.gif

+Quote Post
Heather
post 28th Jul 2005, 08:54pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Buntyq, I am glad you enjoyed your holiday. You certainly got around.
That was really nice of the woman who wanted you to stay for tea, typical Glaswegian hospitality. wink.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 28th Jul 2005, 09:38pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
Hi Bunty
Missed this post, what great reading. I'm so glad you had a wonderful holiday and really pleased you managed to meet Davy and he helped so much.
Lovely memories for yourself and Suzy to treasure biggrin.gif

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...

+Quote Post
Teeny
post 29th Jul 2005, 12:46am
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 37
Bunty, sounds like you've had a wonderful time in Scotland.

I've been watching a cooking programme on Foxtel called "Island Harvest" with Nick Nairn. He's sailing around the isles in his boat and stopping off at various places to meet the locals and cook up some of the locally caught fish etc and the scenery is just stunning. Definitely makes you wish you were there !!

I'm glad the weather was so nice for you. You'll be able to keep enjoying the lovely memories that you captured with your camcorder.

Cheers - Teeny

+Quote Post
buntyq
post 29th Jul 2005, 02:19pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Teeny, even when it was cloudy the Islands were beautiful. We also sailed on ferries. I can imagine what those journeys would be like when it stormed. I am not a meat eater so I had opted for fish, mostly salmon, for dinner. I wonder if I can get that program over here. There are not many hotels on the Islands that can accommodate 40 guests. This would be a normal bus load. We had 27 on our bus. This was ideal. Peter Scott, our Tour Director, made sure that we had lots of stops for pictures. I opted to stay one extra night in Glasgow and I am sorry now that we didn't go to the Peoples Palace instead of the Transport Museum. I was a little disappointed in the Museum. My mother was a clippie during WWI and I had hoped that they would have one of the old cars on display. She used to tell me great stories. Since the cars are but a memory I bought a book at the Museum. We went on the Subway to Kelvin Hall and this was an experience for Suzy, albeit she was a little nervous with the bombings in London. Suzy wanted to do some gift shopping in the morning and I headed for Borders. I was told that Smiths were no longer in business. As we walked downtown I was remembering what it was like when I lived in Glasgow. With the hustle and bustle of getting to work in those days I dont think I ever appreciated the architecture as much as I did during this visit, especially seeing it through Suzy's eyes.

+Quote Post
Davie
post 4th Aug 2005, 11:01pm
Post #12

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,484
Hi yooseyins
Ah huvnie been on here for a while.
However, it was great to meet up wey Kitty and her daughter, Suzy, who was jist as charmin’ as her maw. (right Glesga patter )

I had a couple of beers in McGinn’s at the bottom of Hope Street before crossing the road diagonally to the Radisson Hotel .
The bar prices in there urnie furr the feint o’ heart, an’ this is cummin frae someone who uses the Rogano.
It took a bit o’ persuasion to get Kitty to visit her old stomping ground (but no much) in Possil.
As I don’t drive anymore, I hailed a black hack and told the driver the plan.
I was even surprised by the change in the place myself, considering that I had done a bit of winchin in the far North in my youth, married a Possil Lass, and drove busses oot o the garage in Hawthorn Street.
Kitty was surprised to see “Graffiti” on the walls ootside the close. (picture available on request)
I, on the other hand was delighted.
As it was in coloured chalk (easily waashed aff) and there was a peever ladder in yellow and blue on the ground.
Ah wiz nearly askin’ wan o’ the lasses that were hingin’ aboot, if they had a wee boot polish tin so as ah kid huv a go.
I know peever wiz a lassie’s gemme, but a cannie mind oanie o’ ma pals that didnie like tryin it when the girls were o’ eyesight.
Or yon thing the girls did wey the wee heavy ball inside a nylon, nor the fact that they could co-ordinate two tennis balls up against the wall while singing, twirling and lifting legs.
To this day, I know of no male that could accomplish this feat.
Once more I digress frae ma tale:
The closes were in great nick jist aff Saracen Street and if the hooses were transferred to the West End would fetch over the 100,000 mark the day.
That is fact!
We then got driven , by the now bemused taxi driver (this was the first time he had ever been on a quest like this) to Auckland Street to the four -in -a -block, where Catherine Quinn was brung-up.an her Da wiz a Polis.
I got my camera oot again and strolled over to the hoose.
The door was open and a wee fella about 5 or 6 was hanging about .
I asked him if his mammy was in, hoping to get a pic of the outside of the hoose and back green weyoot causing umbrage.
“This is Ma Grannies” he roars and dashes upstairs to get the Lady.
Brilliant!
As Kitty has stated this Lady, Peggy, and her Husband were Glaswegian to the core.
When I told her that Kitty had lived in the house years ago and she just wanted a look at the place before going home to America..
“Nae bother son” says Peggy “yeese kin come up if ye waant, but jist don’t look in the bedrooms, ther’ a mess “.
Both Kitty and Suzy went up the stairs, while I chatted to Peggy’s man.
If I could have picked a better scenario to show Weegies at their best this would have been it
It was amazing to see the remnants of the old air raid shelter from the war lying in the back green
Before the adventure to the Far North (Possil, pey attention) we had decided to dine at a guid Glesga fish supper shoap.
While I know that several o you Weegies will tell me the one that you use is the best.
I have never found better than Harry Ramsden’s
So that is where we dined.
It will surprise a few locals on this board , that after dining, we sauntered along Nelson Street in the twilight, past all the Proddy bars .
It was hard for Suzy to understand the sectarian divide in Glasgow today.
We walked as far as Commerce Street , where a taxi was instantly got and I dropped the lassies off at the hotel.
It was really good to meet up in person with someone that I got in touch with on this board.

+Quote Post
Teeny
post 5th Aug 2005, 12:53pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 37
Bunty, I'm so envious, and so glad that you enjoyed the wonderful sights that Scotland has to offer, and there are so many. I remember coming home from London on a coach early morning and it's the first time I've experienced the early Scottish mist on the hills and it was the most awesome sight ...

The food channel that I watched that Nick Nairn programme is called Lifestyle Food.

My mum also worked on the old tram cars Bunty and my dad too, think that's where they met !!

Talking about the architecture Bunty, I have to say that all you have to do is raise you eyes skywards sometimes when walking around, otherwise you miss so much.

Best wishes - Teeny wub.gif

+Quote Post
buntyq
post 5th Aug 2005, 02:26pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Och, Davie, I'm sitting here reading your post with tears in my eyes. You told our adventure so well. I wrote to Peggy and sent her some of the computer pictures. You have to add to your story and she wanted us to stay for a cup of tea and before we left she went into her bedroom and handed me a little china teapot with an angel sitting on top of it. This was so that I would get home safely. I have a rather nice collection of glass and I have it on the top shelf of my cabinet so I can see it and remember the kindness of a wee Glesca wummin. Since coming back to America I have such a longing to return again to my roots. If I do manage back to Scotland I will travel independently. The Globus bus tour of the Scottish Highlands and Islands was the best way to travel this time. Thanks, Davie, meeting up with you and visiting my past was a great ending to our visit.

+Quote Post
Gemini
post 5th Aug 2005, 03:11pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 193
Bunty and Davey you both told the story so well in my mind I was on both tours with you both, tho' I am not that familiar with Possil ' I am so glad you had a wonderful time. smile.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.