Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Butlins - Ayrshire, Holidays
Rating 5 V
stratson
post 30th Jun 2008, 07:42pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
Butlins is now called CRAIG TARA. smile.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 26th Jul 2008, 12:52am
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
this is now run by haven and most are caravans as this is where my brother wes put to rest at his best place he had great fun with his close knit family at a small grave at the top of electric brae and some at the bottom and the family still go a big group of them a was never invited as a didnt drink ,,,, a think they though a would have sulked and got me all wrong totally as a still love a laugh and a joke their loss no mine wub.gif but com see com sa

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
crazykid
post 26th Jul 2008, 01:29am
Post #18

Settling In
Member No.: 5,891
I went to Butlins in Ayre when i was about 3/4 years old ( about 40 yrs ago) and i am trying to remember the name of the kids club i was a member of, i got a birthday card every year and i think i got a Christmas card as well, i also had a heart shaped badge with my name on it. I think the mascot was a bear, and i knew i was nearly at Butlins when i could see the big giant, oh the good old days when the summers were always warm and sunny and you hadn't a care in the world. maxine (crazykid)

+Quote Post
mad mo
post 10th Aug 2008, 08:50pm
Post #19

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,943
I REMEMBER A MONDAY TO FRIDAY DEAL WE WENT TO IN THE MID 80 S AS WE DIDNT REALLY HAVE A LOT OF MONEY WE DIDNT HAVE HOLIDAYS REALLY MY SELF, LATE HUSBAND AND TWO DAUGHTERS , HAD A REALLY GOOD TIME , ONE OF THE FEW HOLIDAYS WE HAD AS A FAMILY

+Quote Post
Anne1
post 10th Aug 2008, 08:53pm
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,001
welcome to the boards Mo hope you enjoy them laugh.gif

--------------------
ANNWAN

+Quote Post
*les*
post 5th Jul 2010, 11:08pm
Post #21

i remember my papa had a caravan in arran view gd laugh , busbys the 'dancing lol' harliquins , stewartball room , castaways the piazza, showboat for the older ones lol member been barred from aw the amusments for tryn to get money out the machines , had a job in the parade lol a was 10 lol , buffulo buffs , member a couldnt be bothered walkin up to the caravan coz it was away up the hill so decided to go on the chair lifts and jump off at the top lol broke my ankle haha . the swimming , fair, beach , gd laugh lol

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 5th Jul 2010, 11:22pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Aw naw, TeeHee's no gonni tell us aboot ... rolleyes.gif
... Yes he is.
Butlin's in Ayr was where I watched my sister's team "Westthorn United" qualify to represent SCOTLAND's first ever Ladies International Football Team in a Billy Butlin/Hughie Green-Opportunity Knocks, joint-sponsored International match to be played against ENGLAND (Fodden Motors) in Bellvue Park, Manchester.

Sad to say the lassies got cuffed ... following year as well by the same team.
But they were great wink.gif

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post
*susantomlin*
post 8th Sep 2010, 08:26am
Post #23

I USED TO LIVE ON BUTLINS CAMP AYR WHEN I WAS A CHILD WITH MY GRANDPARENTS WE LIVED IN THE HEADS OF AYR HOTEL FOR MANY YEARS WINTER AND SUMMER, I HAVE SOME VERY HAPPY MEMORIES, I ALSO ATTENDED THE LOCAL INFANT SCHOOL, AROUND 1963, MY GRANDAD WAS JACK AND MY GRANDMOTHER DORATHY. IS THERE ANYONE WHO WORKED AT BUTLINS WHO MAY REMEMBER US.

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 9th Sep 2010, 12:55am
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
Never been to a Butlins camp but my first time in a Club Med years ago made me wonder if Butlins was the same as C/M.

+Quote Post
*andy wilson*
post 10th Sep 2010, 01:01am
Post #25

QUOTE (Isobel @ 30th Jun 2008, 08:37pm) *
I remember a holiday many years ago in the Butlin 's in Ayr. A bunch of us went as young teenagers Loved the holiday but the camp was the pits .We were in accommodation like barracks , bunk beds as uncomfortable as hell. I honestly think it was army barracks. I guess it would be quite different now, but our experience was awful.

Well the camp was actually built by Butlin for the Navy during the war as HMS Scotia a Navy training camp so you are pretty much on the ball there! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
beth
post 10th Sep 2010, 01:05am
Post #26

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 8,349
It was called the Beaver Club. We used to go there in the 50's. It was a brilliant holiday for kids and families with kids. A holiday for mum. the redcoats used to patrol up and down watching the children when mums and dads went out. We also went to Skegness but remember my mum saying Ayr was best

+Quote Post
southsider
post 14th Sep 2010, 02:06am
Post #27

Special Visitor
Member No.: 1,754
Went to Butlins Ayr for a week in the summer of '61, with a couple of friends. Had a great time, but the thing I remember most was dancing to the fantastic house band every night, a new up and coming group called Brian Poole and the Tremeloes.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.