Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Holiday Memories, Tales of being on holiday
angel
post 28th Dec 2011, 03:34pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
from Beth..
Our daughter fancies meeting up with us in Malaysia and to be honest, I would prefer that .

Hi beth , that sounds really interesting to me , maybe you could invite
your sister to join up with you in Malaysia biggrin.gif
I will be in Scotland myself for a couple of weeks in March , looking forward to seeing my brothers and their families again .
By the way Beth , the weather is pretty nasty in Canada during the winter , lots of canadians head south , biggrin.gif

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
beth
post 28th Dec 2011, 05:03pm
Post #17

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 8,349
Thanks for the tip Angel

+Quote Post
zascot
post 3rd Jan 2012, 11:56am
Post #18

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 612
Attached Image
Hi Beth, as you are going up to Pilanesburg here is a photo I took recently of Dawn at Mankwe Lake after a storm. Enjoy your trip,Alex.

--------------------
Take only photos. Leave only footprints. Kill only time.

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 13th Jan 2012, 03:51pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
When my eldest was two or three years old we went to one of the local game reserves close to Joburg. The main attraction was that it was fairly close by and we could drive there and back the same day. Driving through there was nothing much to write home about until we decide to drive down to the main camp for something to eat.
I was driving an old Vauxhall Victor at the time that only had one problem, the front passenger door lock couldn’t be opened from inside or outside and any front seat passenger had to get in the drivers door and then slide along the bench seat. This meant in the case of an emergency the front seat passenger was stuck. Hee hee hee.

As we drove down the hill we noticed a car following us down with a huge baboon sitting on its bonnet and thinking this was amusing everybody had a good laugh until the car with the baboon pulled up close to us just as we were all getting out of our car.

Quick as a flash it jumped down ran across and was into the back seat of the Vauxhall where there was a large size packet of crisps, it settled down to eat this while we all stood around the car watching it when one brave/stupid soul among us tried a couple of times to snatch the crisps from the baboon, big mistake the baboon started barking at him and with teeth at the ready snatched the packet back again.
All the while this was happening there was the front seat passenger sitting cowering in the front too scared to slide across the bench to get out because the movement would have brought him within a couple of inches of the baboon.

Eventually it finished the crisps and jumped out of the car, and as it went to move off it grabbed my daughter by the arm and was dragging her away with it, well I might not be the bravest soul on the planet but there’s something’s you just don’t do to me and a baboon trying to get away with kidnapping my daughter is one of them, however easier said than done it eventually took three of us to force it to give up and let go of her and all the while it was making one hell of a noise barking and showing its teeth.

Later on as we tried to leave the camp there had been a thunderstorm and the dirt road leading up the hill was so slippy the only way we could get up was in reverse.
All in all a day to remember.

Attached Image
Attached File(s)
Attached File  baboon.bmp ( 128.72K )

+Quote Post
angel
post 13th Jan 2012, 05:53pm
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder

My Dave that's quite a holiday story , your little girl must have been
terrified , does she remember the incident .
This is'nt anything near what you guys experienced , but like yourelf
we we comming home from a days' outing with our two younsters and driving an old clunker , when the rad. sprung a leak and us way out in the boonies , nowhere to get it fixed , We were able to get water and we also
got packets of chewing gum , which we chewed and stuck it to the rad.
this went on for about 1/12 hrs until we got home , a helluva lot of chewing between the four of us , if we never saw gum again it would have been to soon . biggrin.gif

--------------------
Pat.

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 13th Jan 2012, 10:52pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
Was to spend the weekend up at my brothers house a few months ago, so as we are sitting on the front porch speaking about the usual thing me, all of a sudden I noticed his eyes looking past me, then back to me, past me and back again.I thought to maself,,,he's not paying attention to anythig am saying lol, so a got up to wander around when he said under his breath dont yoo move because theres a big brown bear crossing the drive-way and looking right at us. I froze, he had a good laff ( after the fact rolleyes.gif ) a couldn't see anything funny in it. That was it, it was home sweet home for me lol. My sister spent some time there this past Christmas, a told her to keep a gun loaded.

+Quote Post
angel
post 13th Jan 2012, 11:57pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
My Dave that's quite a holiday story , your little girl must have been
terrified , does she remember the incident .
This is'nt anything near what you guys experienced , but like yourelf
we we comming home from a days' outing with our two younsters and driving an old clunker , when the rad. sprung a leak and us way out in the boonies , nowhere to get it fixed , We were able to get water and we also
got packets of chewing gum , which we chewed and stuck it to the rad.
this went on for about 1-1/2hrs until we got home , a helluva lot of chewing between the four of us , if we never saw gum again it would have been to soon .

should have been 1-1/2 hrs. ..Not 1/12 hrs .. huh.gif

--------------------
Pat.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 14th Jan 2012, 12:19am
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Not so much a Holiday, but I was on a Pilgrimage to The Holy Land a couple of years ago.
We were staying in Bethlehem and one day we were taken by coach to another town to do some shopping.
I'm next to be served when I hear our Guide calling that we were now moving off to go for lunch. After I got served and went outside no one was there they had all gone without me. I could not believe they had not checked the shop to make sure we were all out.
I walked about but could see no one I knew so I went back to the shop and there was a seat outside, so I sat down and had a quiet nervous breakdown.

I was really scared as I did not know how to get back to the Hotel and found the Holy Land quite a scary place. I was too scared to get a taxi so I wandered around until I saw another group wearing the same badge's we were all given, better still I saw the woman who was sitting next to me on the Plane and we had introduced ourselves and spent the flight chatting.
Their Guide could not get in touch with the group I was with but said we were meeting up for Mass later in the day.

When I finally met up it turned out that when my group became aware I was missing they went back to the shop but could not find me, so they went to the Police Station and reported me missing.
One of the of Priests was laughing when he said, " you will be headlines next week in the Catholic Observer, Barbara, lost in The Holy Land ". laugh.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 14th Jan 2012, 12:51am
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Once was lossed but now yir fond Heather. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 14th Jan 2012, 04:37am
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (glasgow lass @ 14th Jan 2012, 12:07am) *
Once was lossed but now yir found Heather. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 14th Jan 2012, 07:49am
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
Morning Angel
no she doesnt remember it although she knows the story, and Glasgow Lass I think I would rather face up to a baboon any day rather than a bear, just a wee bit too big biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Heather
post 14th Jan 2012, 05:33pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
I would run a mile if I saw either of them. ohmy.gif

I remember one time in Vermont, my sister got out the car looking for a covered bridge, then her husband called out to her there was a bear coming out of the bushes. Well her wee legs ran like the hammers and when she got back to the car both our husbands and me were in fits laughing as her husband was only kidding her on.
I can't repeat what she called the three of us. laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
angel
post 14th Jan 2012, 06:26pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder

Once again , a long time ago ,when our vacation's were camping trips
and our sons being young We where returning from one of our trips down to Florida , and had decided to get off the beaten track a bit to make a bite of lunch , and take a break from driving , so while sitting outside of our trailer we see this beautiful animal in the bush , it seemed to be , maybe following a path , it took us a moment or two to realize that this creature was a magnificent " Cougar / Mountain Lion " which we had
thought had become extinct in that part of the states , but thank goodness
it was not interested in us , however just to be on the safe side , We moved and made our own tracks home . smile.gif

--------------------
Pat.

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 14th Jan 2012, 07:17pm
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Guys I remember reading about a family who were out camping in Algonquin Privincial Park when a black bear attacked one of the children in the family, so fast it was that the father lossed track of them but then after some time he found the bear down in a hudge whole in the ground, the bear was eating this mans daughter.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 14th Jan 2012, 07:22pm
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Oh God Lass, that was an awful thing for a parent to see.

Poor wee lassie.

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Oct 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.