Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Holiday Memories, Tales of being on holiday
Dave Grieve
post 21st Nov 2011, 09:02am
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
Went to a game reserve a while ago and while looking for elephant (we were following the dung droppings on the trail) and while driving in second gear very slowly in thick bush we turned a corner into a grove of trees and saw hundreds of baboons sitting on the forest floor doing what baboons do best eating and scratching themselves. smile.gif
We had come up on them so slowly and quietly that not only were we surprised to see them they also did not expect us.

Within seconds of realising that their ‘enemy’ was in amongst them they all scattered jumping into the bush and climbing trees until they were all gone, all that is except one tiny little baby that sat where it was, I think because it had never seen a car before and did not realise what was happening. ohmy.gif
The baby baboon stared at us, we stared back at the baby until all of a sudden the mother appeared from nowhere scooped the baby up and threw it over its knee and proceeded to give the baby a right good leathering on the backside before pushing it against her chest and jumping into one of the trees.

Now I tell these stories and I don’t know whether people believe them or not but every one I have recorded is true even the one above unbelievable as it sounds.
Just goes to show that handing out physical punishment to your child is universal and not against the laws of nature or inhuman wink.gif

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 21st Nov 2011, 09:07am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
That's a spankin' good story Dave. tongue.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 15th Dec 2011, 07:41am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
My mother and father in-law have been here on holiday a few times before they both died, and we always took them down to the coast for a week or two.
The first time the father in-law saw the surf he couldent wait to get in amongst it after getting settled down he went up to the change room and running down to the water edge suddenly stopped ran back and gave my mother in- law his false teeth telling her to look after them as I cant afford to lose them biggrin.gif
He was in the Gordons for over twenty years and had traveled a bit with them so thought he knew how to handle the sun, no matter how much we warned him that the African sun was really brutal, he new better, that is until we had to take him to hospital with extreme sunburn and he then spent the next three days cooped up in the flat alone.
lesson learned.The hard way!
I have a lot of fond memories of both of those people and count myself fortunate to have known them and also to have had them as parent in-laws

Now my sister and her new husband are coming here in the next few months and I hope to make some more holiday memories. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
zascot
post 15th Dec 2011, 08:12am
Post #4

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 612
Dave we have`nt had anyone who has come here and did`nt want to come back, even in the days when S.A. had a bad name overseas they were always amazed that things were just not what they expected. My Mother was here a few times and loved it, sadly she passed away last month at the age of 91 and still doing Sudoku and crosswords and still living in her own house. Thankfully no long illness just taken into hospital one day and died the next morning, best way to go. Back to the subject enjoy your time with your sister and new brother in law and have a great holiday. All the best for Christmas and New year.Alex.

--------------------
Take only photos. Leave only footprints. Kill only time.

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 15th Dec 2011, 08:30am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Thanks Alex
sorry to hear about your mother.
We are still on for January, I will let you know whats happening after neerday.
Totsiens have a good one.
Trying to finish up today.

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 24th Dec 2011, 09:19am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
A post from Beth earlier today reminded me of a time we were on holiday at the small town she lives in, there is a natural rock pool that has been extended and made safe for the kids to swim in.
The time we went, there was a huge storm one night but as usual next morning it was blue skies so we went back down to the beach and the kids headed into the rock pool, standing watching them I suddenly realised that there were a few fins cutting through the surface next to the kids.
It turned out that the storm had washed half a dozen baby sharks over the rocks into the rock pool and with nowhere to go they where cruising about looking for food.
One of the locals waded in with a fish net scooped them up and put them back into the sea. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
beth
post 24th Dec 2011, 07:51pm
Post #7

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 8,349
Dave if you are down this way with the family gie's a shout, would be good to meet up. Still a good wee place, even in season. Not as popular as Toti so still beach space.
Winkle rocks has always been notorious with the locals. All the guys fish there. One Christmas when the pool was exceptionally full, Boxing day probably, one of the local fishermen put his catch in the pool. It was quite a big shark! You can imagine the reaction from the holiday makers

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 27th Dec 2011, 06:29am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Beth next planned trip is only in May when my sister will be here on holiday, I will definetly give you a shout.

+Quote Post
tombro
post 27th Dec 2011, 09:26am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
Thank goodness I did my last holiday trip (Newcastle to Darwin to Adelaide to Newcastle) when I did, last August/September.

Just saw on TV tonight that the Sturt Highway to Darwin and the main Darwin to Adelaide Railway have both been washed out by the biggest rains that part of the country has seen in years.

Australia is one totally amazing country !

Tombro rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 27th Dec 2011, 10:11am
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
See our local holiday season road death toll has reached almost 900 with the normaly deadliest last weekend still to come.
it always amazes me how the local traffic authorities are up in arms about road traffic deaths over the holiday period when in relative terms they have actually declined compared to a normal months death toll figures.

xmas/new year plus minus 1000 deaths
normal month plus 1300 deaths

+Quote Post
angel
post 27th Dec 2011, 07:03pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675

Hi Dave , In this part of Ontario where I live , it seems to me , these past weeks there have been more auto fatalities than previous years , when in actual fact the weather conditions here have been perfect for driving ,
so I figure that it has to be all that party-ing ... Carnage on the roads !
" and I don't think it will ever change "......

I have enjoyed reading all of the post"s about holiday memories
which has been very nice and I do wish all of you more happy memories
to come in the future .
My own holiday memories are not unlike your own , with visit's here by family and in particular members of my husband's family
from Australia on two occasions .... that I can say , will go down in living memory biggrin.gif " wonderful folks " ooops , also New Zealand .
Over the years while on our own vacations we had the good fortune to meet other holiday makers who in fact helped make our holday's just wonderful , they came from Europe and the UK , we also made friends with a chinese couple who lived in Labrador while we were vacationing in
Santo Domingo . ha ha .
In recent years ,I have made a few trips on my own ,because my husband has since passed , and on one of my trips to Mexico I met up with two couples from Vancouver , who just about adopted me , ha ha , what can I say "fantastic " and also on a recent trip to Cuba I met a wonderful couple from Germany . so these are just a few of my holiday memories .
Now I wish you , Dave , Zascot and Beth all that is good in 2012
and not forgetting you Tombro . All the best . biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
zascot
post 28th Dec 2011, 09:21am
Post #12

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 612
Thanks Angel and the same to you. I hope you enjoy plenty more great holidays.

--------------------
Take only photos. Leave only footprints. Kill only time.

+Quote Post
beth
post 28th Dec 2011, 11:36am
Post #13

Super Lord Provost
thank you Angel and best wishes to you and yours also. Allan is taking about a trip to Canada end of next year as he has family scattered around there. Our holidays in the last few years has been to see children and grandchildren in Aus and brothers and sisters in Scotland. had a few good holidays here when my sister has come over, but it is time for a change. Our daughter fancies meeting up with us in Malaysia and to be honest, I would prefer that. Oh well, time will tell. We are heading up to Pilansberg area for a couple of days in February and then down the coast a wee bit to Margate. New territory for my sister

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 28th Dec 2011, 12:54pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Beth
Dont know if you are interested but the road between Margate and Ramsgate has a small Spar center and in that center there is a restaurant run by a Geordie that sell a mean Black Pudding and also Haggis, further on at Ramsgate main beach the Blue Lagoon restaurant sells for me anyway the best Rock Cod on that coast.

Happy New New Year to one and all.

+Quote Post
beth
post 28th Dec 2011, 01:57pm
Post #15

Super Lord Provost
Thanks a lot Dave, that will be a def on my list, have noted this. can get black pudding here but not great.
Further to previous posts, our wee beach has been discovered. Apparently it was mobbed yesterday and the hooliganism was awful, Rowdy drunks brought in on buses and taxis as well as private cars. So much for zero tolerance re drinking on beaches and drinking and driving. Seems like the quiet days have gone. Folk are not going as much to Durbs and are coming down the coast, more's the pity.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Apr 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.