Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

> Oh Memories That Bless & Burn, Unpalatable, but they're mine
thebardau
post 27th Sep 2003, 07:49am
Post #1

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 20
"Oh memories that bless and burn" - line from "The Rosary", a lovely song of yesteryear.

Anne from Oz posted a lovely poem on "Thoughts of Home" - her personal feelings, & you'll find it here http://www.glasgowguide.co.uk/ggbb/index.p....st=0?entry6836
I replied commenting on her lovely words. And it started me thinking about my own past memories. In my case, alas, these memories are limited to Glasgow alone. Maybe that's my problem, or maybe I'm just twisted. Margaret P. also posted some memories of Glasgow here -
http://www.glasgowguide.co.uk/ggbb/index.p...p?showtopic=338
[this URL looks suss, the topic's "My Glasgow" in General Chit Chat]
and that's a well-known poem, very evocative of the "old" Glasgow.
Times WERE hard & our parents did their best for us & we're grateful to them for their worthwhile struggles. I'm not denying that for a minute.
But the Glasgow I personally remember was far less rosy. I posted this before - and here again, in all its glory, I give you -

Farewell to Glasgow

Oh, where is the Glasgow Ah used tae know?
The tenement buildings that let in the snow
Through the cracks in the plaster the cauld wind did blow
An' the waater we washed in wis fifty below
We read by the gaslight, we had nae TV,
Hot porridge for breakfast, cauld porridge for tea
Some weans had rickets an' some had TB

Aye, How the neebers complained if we played wi' a baw,
Or hunch-cuddy-hunch against somebody's waw,
It we played kick-the-can we'd tae watch for the law,
And the polis made sure we did sweet bugger aw

And we huddled thegither tae keep waarm in bed,
We had nae sheets or blankets, jist auld coats instead,
An' a big balaclava tae cover wur head,
And 'Goad, but it's cauld' wiz the only prayer said

Noo there's some say that tenement living wiz swell.
That's the wally-close toffs who had doors wi' a bell,
Two rooms an' a kitchen an' a bathroom as well.
While the rest o' us lived in a single-end hell

So wipe aff that smile when yi talk o' the days.
Ye lived in the Gorbals or Bridgeton ways.
Remember the rats an' the mice ye wance chased.
For tenement living wiz a bliddy disgrace.

These are MY memories, though things started to improve just before we left. I can confirm this poem with depressing true stories from my childhood, but enough's enough - & I was far less deprived than some of my school mates & that's no lie.

So are we somewhat in denial re "the days that never were"? Should we be ashamed of the bitter truths? Or should we not also recognise & celebrate the harsh realities & the strength of the human spirit in overcoming these? [Tommy Kennedy, where ARE you - I'm gonna be flamed to the hottest depths of hell for this post]

This post has been edited by thebardau: 27th Sep 2003, 08:08am
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- thebardau   Oh Memories That Bless & Burn   27th Sep 2003, 07:49am
- - Catherine   It's a very real poem Bard and I remember read...   27th Sep 2003, 01:23pm
- - Gemini   I agree with what is said here I too remember the ...   27th Sep 2003, 02:30pm
- - Melody   Well, I have no personal experience of living in t...   27th Sep 2003, 08:10pm
- - thebardau   Thanks for that, Catherine, Gemini & Melody. ...   28th Sep 2003, 01:32am
- - Margaret P   Im with you Melody I think it was the world over w...   28th Sep 2003, 10:26pm
- - thebardau   It must depend on where you were raised then. I tr...   28th Sep 2003, 10:44pm
- - Catherine   I can't relate to the poverty situation Bard, ...   29th Sep 2003, 01:23am
- - Marion Dougan   Thanks Bard, this is soooo true. I was born in a s...   29th Sep 2003, 02:16pm
- - jock   While I agree with much that has been said, I thin...   29th Sep 2003, 09:52pm
- - Catherine   "teachers belts an aw"...The education s...   29th Sep 2003, 10:41pm
- - wee mags   well bard like catherine and gemini I was not as b...   29th Sep 2003, 11:23pm
- - thebardau   jock, I agree that tenement living & poverty d...   30th Sep 2003, 01:06am
- - albaliz   Bard, thanks for starting this thread. We lived in...   30th Sep 2003, 02:27pm
- - Melody   Great post albaliz, Gorbals was the most exciting ...   30th Sep 2003, 05:38pm
- - jock   Good posts everyone. This may be off-topic, or may...   30th Sep 2003, 09:44pm
- - jimmyd   Think you will find Jock ,that a lot of those peop...   2nd Oct 2003, 10:54am
- - isa   Hello, I had family move away from Cumbernauld str...   3rd Oct 2003, 10:46am
- - Melody   Ed. speaking as someone who has stayed in Glasgow,...   5th Oct 2003, 08:05pm
- - albaliz   Oh Melody I got wee goose bumps and a few tears as...   5th Oct 2003, 10:40pm
- - Melody   Albaliz, next time I'm there I'll take the...   2nd Nov 2003, 08:35pm
- - Dolly   i too was brought up , during these hard times , b...   3rd Nov 2003, 04:49am
- - jock   Dolly, enjoyed your memories, they almost duplicat...   3rd Nov 2003, 06:10am
- - Melody   Jock, sorry I always hate telling my friends abroa...   3rd Nov 2003, 07:33pm
- - jock   Melody, you are right, family love and support can...   3rd Nov 2003, 11:29pm
- - Margaret P   I think thats whats wrong with the world today not...   4th Nov 2003, 08:14am
- - Melody   No Margaret your right it wasn't the only plac...   23rd Nov 2003, 04:29pm
- - leeninaus   Oh my dear friend Melody, it is not oft these days...   23rd Nov 2003, 05:36pm
- - Melody   Dear Leen, so you are saying that there is little ...   23rd Nov 2003, 06:16pm
- - Melody   Sorry Leen in retrospect I realise that you meant ...   24th Nov 2003, 07:47am
2 Pages V   1 2 >

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st Mar 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.