Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

30 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow Department Stores, What did I miss?
Allan D.Sim
post 1st Mar 2006, 07:04pm
Post #1

Super Resident
Member No.: 321
Pettigrew & Stephens, Copland and Lye, Muirheads, Frasers, and Lewis's. Yes I may have missed one or two, but only Frasers and to a lesser extent, Lewis's as Debenhams still operate. I left Townhead for the dizzy heights of Bridgeton in 1967. We lived about 5 minutes walk from all those great shopping streets. Relying on all the memories of the people here, what did I miss? I do not have any real recollections of the large stores of Sauchiehall Street. So people what were the grand Glasgow department stores really like? I was too young when they disappeared. Would anyone care to share the memories of flowing staircases and floors offering the wherewithal of the world? I will say this.... Muirheads closed and now Boots the Chemist is at 200 Sauchiehall Street. Let the memories roll.......
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 2nd Mar 2006, 01:47am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
Awe Allen did you miss the best of times ,early Saturday morning gettin up and going in to town Mammy wae her hat on and me with ma best coat , for the messages that you could only get in certain stores then stopping at Lewis,s for lunch and if she had enough money we got apple pie with covered with Custard pudding ,it was our wee time to be alone and I do remember it well and to go to Lewis,s at christmas time was a treat to keep in your head for ever ,all the store decorated up like a fairyland wink.gif

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
jaybee
post 2nd Mar 2006, 07:31pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,800
There were many bigger stores in those days. Some I remember would be Lewis, Arnott Simpsons, Frasers, Muirheads, Marks & Spencers, Littlewoods.... these in the area of Argyle Street. Of course the C & A, what woman didn't know C&A. Smaller stores Graftons, Dolcis, Jordon's shoes, Gordon's shoes, Saxone shoes (I guess we were all really fond of new shoes there were lots of shoe shops). Saturdays were spent "in town" and I am happy to see that still to this day a lot of Glaswegians head for the town on a Saturday.

+Quote Post
Elma
post 2nd Mar 2006, 10:19pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
I'm trying to remember, I was more used to the Sauchiehall Street shops as you hit it sooner when coming in fromthe west end. I remember Trerons, Dalys, Wilson's Linens, Pettigrews (my mother worked there after I got married) Coplands, Watt Bros. (bought my wedding dress there), Hendersons, C & A, Muirheads, Marks and Spencers, Woolworths next door, Boots the Chemist. I'm beginning to run out now. There was also Paisleys where we had to buy our school uniforms. I'm sure someone else can fill in the gaps. Sauchiehall Street has changed so much, I hardly recognized it last time I was there.

+Quote Post
davyab44
post 2nd Mar 2006, 10:19pm
Post #5

City Key Holder
Member No.: 429
Wonderful memories reading those names....I remember buying a pair of shoes at Timpsons during the winkle-picker era ( member that? )....the style was called a chisel toe, they had cross straps and buckles... ah thoat they wur jist great till they buggered up ma feet....talk aboot vanity !

Having been around men's clothing for more years than I care to remember, how about names like........Daks...Hector Powe....Burtons....John Collier....Jacksons.....Claude Alexander.....Weaver-to-Wearer...50shilling Tailors....and last but not least, where my brother tells me I shop.....West End Misfits.!!!

I actually served my tailoring apprenticeship with B. Green & Sons...3 Scott St. (next to the Regal Cinema)...another great tailoring firm was Gunn, Collie & Topping.....the minimum cost for a suit from the last two mentioned would have run 28 pounds/10 shillings.....three weeks wages for a fireman circa 1965 smile.gif

--------------------
Here's tae us, wha's like us? Damn few an' they're a' deid

+Quote Post
Dimairt
post 3rd Mar 2006, 10:46am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,616
Here's an early 60s snap of Wood and Selby's at St. George's Cross.

Dimairt

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
jaybee
post 3rd Mar 2006, 12:15pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Davy, my mother worked in tailoring too. I think her first place was called Taylors. Later on she went to Brook and Branders on the High Street. This is going back an awful lot of years as my mother is now 88 years young.

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 8th Mar 2006, 10:32pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
3 Scott Street today

+Quote Post
valros
post 9th Mar 2006, 05:06pm
Post #9

Super Resident
Member No.: 2,069
Jaybee,

I see that your Mother worked in Brook and Branders in High Street, that was my first machinist job in there.
Your Mum is a lot older than me but would you mind telling me her name? Who knows, she may well have been one of the experienced machinists when I was just a wee 15 year old biggrin.gif

Valros

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 9th Mar 2006, 05:43pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
I worked in Marks on Arglye street in the sixties. I used to shop for anything special in a little dress store right opposite Marks. Can anyone remember the name. My friend's mother worked in there ,and she used to give us girls a little discount.

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
Allan D.Sim
post 11th Mar 2006, 02:46am
Post #11

Super Resident
Member No.: 321
As I started this post for this reason, 1960s is just out of reach! However, as some of these premises were in existence in 1930s, it's possible they were still operating in the 1960s, maybe beyond. According to the Virtual Mitchell, there were a few stores around 1-53 Argyle Street I know Mann Byars was at corner, the few pics I looked at were 1938, and shops like Graftons, Estelle were there. Log onto http://virtualmitchell.org. When you see the search box, enter Argyle and see it it helps, there are 320 pictures. Hope you find it.

+Quote Post
Melody
post 11th Mar 2006, 04:15pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Isobel would that shop have been Latters?

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 20th Mar 2006, 01:26am
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
Sorry Melody I missed your post. Yes it was Latters.Just loved that store. Is it still there?
Alan I also remember Graftons, but not the others you mentioned. A little before my time. biggrin.gif

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 6th Apr 2006, 07:25am
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
I found this site which shows some photographs of Scott Street .

CCA Scott Street

and one from a few years ago showing The Cotton Club which was also known as Maestro's, Sands, and of course The Maryland amongst a few other names too. You'll find it here.

Mike Henniker's page

Enter Scott Street into his search engine

This post has been edited by Dexter St. Clair: 6th Apr 2006, 10:34pm

+Quote Post
jaybee
post 6th Apr 2006, 12:23pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Valros, sorry, I didn't notice your question almost a month ago. My mother's name was Bessie Borland and she worked in there in the 50s and early 60s. Again, sorry for not replying. Jaybee

+Quote Post

30 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.