Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

61 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Any One From Maryhill?
aaron king
post 22nd Jun 2006, 04:56pm
Post #31

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,776
jist goat that wan laugh.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 22nd Jun 2006, 05:14pm
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
Gled wan of us did, ahm still tryin tae work oot whit niet means .....no that we'll be tellin Jock that wan.....keep it tae wursels annaw that laugh.gif

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...

+Quote Post
aaron king
post 22nd Jun 2006, 05:31pm
Post #33

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,776
it means NAW in the bolshovics region hen rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 22nd Jun 2006, 05:41pm
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
Funnily enuf aaron ma ear's been bouncin......great big clue aw alang laugh.gif

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...

+Quote Post
jock
post 22nd Jun 2006, 11:03pm
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 32
Catherine, YOU ARE RIGHT, you did get it wrang! But you did ok with "bandit" and were close to "nyet", so we see much improvement. Just keep doin yer hamewurk.

and sing..........supercalifragilisticexpialidocious...!!!!!

+Quote Post
supernan8
post 20th Jul 2006, 10:46am
Post #36

Settling In
Member No.: 3,529
hi ...i was born in maryhill...160 gairbraid ave...right at the very end.... there was a laundy called brand and mollisons thats where we used to live ...1955 to 1965...the wallaces

+Quote Post
oorwullie
post 20th Jul 2006, 03:11pm
Post #37

Visitor
Member No.: 1,444
any relation to the wallaces that were related to the McKim's

--------------------
oorwullie

gonnae no dae that !!!

+Quote Post
supernan8
post 8th Sep 2006, 10:24am
Post #38

Settling In
Member No.: 3,529
hi oorwullie... sorry it has taken me a while to get back to you...any way i dont know if the McKims are any relaitions to me as i have not heard from any of my family in over 41 years ...so you never know they could be ...i am going home next year so i am going to try and find some of them ,fingers xxxxxxxxxxx....ok bye for now....Janice

+Quote Post
rossmckenzie
post 25th Sep 2006, 03:21am
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 849
Its the Sept weekend and am up and dressed and its only like 4.30am...a miracle for me but am going to St Andrews to play golf this morning..man I hope it is better than yesterday...it was teaming rain yesterday....
while waiting for my m8's dad to pick me up I was surfing the net and came across this site again...A know a lot of people on here have connections to Maryhill and I remember reading this a long time ago...its by a guy who does stories about old Glasgow and I think but am not sure my Dad might have posted this a long time ago.....I went back to read it again cos its an amazing story and found millions of posts from people all over the world who grew up in Maryhill and am reading and laughing at them and then I get back to the oldest post and guess who it is from...wee mags I think..........see what you started Mags....what a character!
Its from August 2004......

Maryhill.....Glasgows Venice

--------------------
Abair ach beagan is abair gu math e

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 4th Oct 2006, 11:54pm
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
Hi ya Ross Ihave not been on for some time ,ma wee pc went Kapoot so Iam waiting and waiting tae get a new wan thanks for thinking of me and to the two new members who have e mailed me this is the reason I have not got in touch ,my youger brother Tom woked for Brand and Mollisons did you know the Wards who lived on Giarbraid ave near the laundry?I have to go as Iam at my daughters house and using her computer see ya all Mags

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
Heather
post 5th Oct 2006, 01:46am
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Nice to hear from you Mags. Hope you and the family are well. Take care.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 13th Nov 2006, 06:12pm
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
this is for my cousin Anne, who just joined this is the page I was talking about Anne, I hope you enjoy the site wink.gif

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
Avril
post 13th Nov 2006, 10:48pm
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,509
Thanks for bringing this page to our attention wee mags!! My dad's family and my husband's family are all from Maryhill. My dad was born in Agnes Street, the family moved to Bilsland Drive, Ruchill in 1929. He went to NKS and as a boy worked in Cochrane's in Maryhill Road as a message boy. My grandpa worked in Ruchill Hospital for almost all his working life.

When my mum and dad got married in 1942 they had a room & kitchen in Amisfield Street.

My husband was born up the same close in Fernie Street as his mother (families didn't move far in those days!). They moved briefly to Pollok around 1951 but my mother-in-law said that it was too far away so they got a transfer to Drumchapel in 1953 and she was much happier! My husband is a joiner, he served his apprenticeship with his cousin's joinery business in Raeberrry Street and carried on working there up until 1970. We used to visit his auntie and cousins in Raeberry Street.

I still have an aunt and uncle who live in Maryhill Road, we visited them when we were up in Glasgow last month.

Another one of my aunts was a nurse in Eastpark Home for years.

My mum and dad used to tell me how they went for walks through Ruchill Park then to Jaconnelli's Cafe for a MacAllum when they were courting at the beginning of WWII. I decided to include this storyline for the fiction couple in my novel that went on sale earlier this year.

My mum was from Possilpark, we moved to Milton in 1952, then to Knightswood in 1963.

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes/Treachery and Triumph...TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk

+Quote Post
jock
post 14th Nov 2006, 12:04am
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 32
Georgia, I was born and raised in Simpson St (since torn down) very close to Raeberry St. What's the name of your book and where is it available?

+Quote Post
Avril
post 14th Nov 2006, 12:33am
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,509
Hi Jock, the title of my novel is What's For Ye, Won 't Go By Ye.

I see that you are in Los Angeles. You can purchase my book on www.amazon.com. I had an email from Peter Noone (remember Herman from Hermin's Hermits), he lives in Santa Barbara and he wrote to say that he had bought my book from Amazon because it had a picture on the front cover of a Herman's Hermits ticket for a concert at The Odeon in Renfield Street in 1964 (I still have that 8/6d ticket in my possession). His email meant more than anything to me because I was a big Herman fan (as well as the Beatles) in the 1960's. No' bad fur a wee lassie fae Milton...eh!!! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes/Treachery and Triumph...TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk

+Quote Post

61 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th Aug 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.