Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> When And Where Did Queenslie Go?, Beam Me Up Scottie When
*jason montgomery*
post 22nd Jul 2010, 08:43pm
Post #31

QUOTE (Eddie McGeough @ 28th Apr 2009, 11:28pm) *
hi.....i lived in horndean crescent,queenslie all my childhood and left when i was 18....i think it was demolished in the early nineties(cant remember exact time though).....anyone else from queenslie?

hi eddie do you remeber mr jason montgomery.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*lyndsay mcgillvary*
post 25th Jul 2010, 04:18pm
Post #32

QUOTE (BIG T @ 14th May 2005, 08:40am) *
i was in glasgow from oz in dec 04 for a week and went to see where i used to live QUEENSLIE but it is now gone all factories when did this happen

Me and my family were one of the last to leave queenslie, they started pulling the houses down round about us a year or two b4 we left although lonmay path was pulled down years before there was any rumour that the rest was to go. we lived in lonmay road. we were relocated to riddrie in april 1996. queenslie was a great place to grow up in and we still miss it loads. my family name is mcgillvary, hazel and robert with lyndsay, margaret, christopher and stacey. x

+Quote Post
*mary mccabe*
post 30th Jul 2010, 12:43am
Post #33

QUOTE (BIG T @ 14th May 2005, 08:40am) *
i was in glasgow from oz in dec 04 for a week and went to see where i used to live QUEENSLIE but it is now gone all factories when did this happen

HI I GREW UP IN QUEENLIE AT THE LATE 70S AND 80S HAD REALLY NICE FRIENDS AND BOS WENT TO QUEENSLIE PRIMARY. THEY SHOULD HAVE LEFT IT FOR HOUSES AND NOT SN ESTATE ESPECIALLY WITH GROWING HOMELESSNESS REALLY MISS THE PLACE

+Quote Post
*Sammy Keenan*
post 5th Aug 2010, 02:14pm
Post #34

QUOTE (lyndsay mcgillvary @ 25th Jul 2010, 05:28pm) *
Me and my family were one of the last to leave queenslie, they started pulling the houses down round about us a year or two b4 we left although lonmay path was pulled down years before there was any rumour that the rest was to go. we lived in lonmay road. we were relocated to riddrie in april 1996. queenslie was a great place to grow up in and we still miss it loads. my family name is mcgillvary, hazel and robert with lyndsay, margaret, christopher and stacey. x

HI LYNSEY - DONT KNOW IF YOU REMEMBER ME, MY NAME IS SAMMY KEENAN, I WAS BEST PALS WITH YOUR WEE SISTER MARGARET FOR YEARS, WE EVEN HAD THE SAME BIRTHDAY. I WAS UP QUEENSLIE LAST YEAR ON NOVEMEBER 5TH TO WATCH THE FIREWORKS ALL OVER THE CITY FROM LONMAY ROAD - I THINK EVERYONE MISSES QUEENSLIE - MY MUM AND DAD ARE NANCY & TONY KEENAN AND I HAVE A BROTHER TONY - WE MOVED AWAY WHEN I WAS ABOUT 10!! SO THAT WAS ABOUT 18 YEARS AGO! DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY OLD PICTURES OF QUEENSLIE? WOULD BE GREAT TO SEE SOME!!

+Quote Post
*Michelle Murphy*
post 18th Aug 2010, 12:02pm
Post #35

hi there
i lived in 6 horndean cresent for years with my family, my gran and grandad stayed in lornmay rd , i had joanne o'conner and her brothers david and archie nxt door and nicola and jaqueline gibson up the top, we were at the bottom flat. I miss Queenslie. I think it got pulled down in 1996 My Gran Jean and Granda Donnie where one of the last to go. Does anyone remember us??
My big sister was Donna Murphy , i had two little twin brothers, there was also a big white german shepard tht stayed up above us called Gripper, it was always in the feranda lol, It was Jambers' dog. I was still young when i left but i remember it like it was yesterday sad.gif
btw i remember the McGillverys i was in christophers class in primary and nursery biggrin.gif x
if anyone would like to catch up im on facebook and so is my sister and brothers x

+Quote Post
NettieWriter
post 21st Aug 2010, 10:36am
Post #36

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,830
I lived at 14 Horndean crescent from when I was born until 1982 when we moved to Carntyne. Dad had lung cancer and couldn't manage the stairs anymore so we got the extra points needed to enable us to move. I lived opposite primary school and the 'new' nursery school.

Further to previous posts, I don't remember it being a catholic scheme. There was a mix - the primary school was non-denominational and loads of us went to Garthamlock Secondary.

I remember the wonderful views we had across Glasgow from our top floor flat. I'm looking for photos for research for a book I am writing, so if anyone could help I'd be very grateful.

Cheers!

Nettie Thomson

(Annette McDevitt)

+Quote Post
NettieWriter
post 21st Aug 2010, 10:40am
Post #37

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,830
QUOTE (Dexter St. Clair @ 15th May 2005, 10:13pm) *

That's not the school, that's the industrial estate...

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 21st Aug 2010, 02:36pm
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
Five Years ago the text linked to a picture of Queenslie PS. Luckily Queenslie 1957 has lifted the photo from the Canmore site and uploaded it to Glasgow Guide.
The Going Home link is also dead.

You'll find more photos of Queenslie here

+Quote Post
*kennybee@live.co.u*
post 24th Aug 2010, 02:21am
Post #39

QUOTE (Tommy McMillan @ 17th Jan 2010, 02:04pm) *
i was born in Queenslie in 1957 me and family lived at 31 Penston Road.My Mum & Dad where Catherine And Arthur McMillan My Brothers Where David. Arthur.James. Richard. William .And my Sister was Nancy went to Queenslie primary school from 1963 until 1969 some great teachers before going to gathamlock secondary school then moving to manchester in 1972.my auntie and uncle stayed horneden crescent next to 51 bus stop.

hi tommy my name is kenny barrett my family know your family and i went to school with richard ,your auntie and uncle stayed at 18 lonmay rd there name is campbell they now live in tollcross

+Quote Post
Queenslie1957
post 29th Sep 2010, 04:06pm
Post #40

Special Visitor
Member No.: 8,004
Hi Kenny.My Auntie Mary And Uncle Andy Did Live Accross The Road From Queenslie Primary
School.My Auntie Mary Died In 1994. And We Don't Know Where My Uncle Andy Is.My Richard Now Lives In Manchester.And Me I Live In Bognor Regis

+Quote Post
Heather
post 29th Sep 2010, 04:30pm
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Your right Nettie, it's the Queenslie Industrial Estate and as I remember the front building was the Olivetti Typewriter Factory.

We moved to Barlanark in April 1953 and always got off the bus the stop after the Industrial Estate as there were only the Green SMT buses went past Barlanark at that time as Barlanark was just being built.
It was terrible getting on buses to travel to school in town as they came from Airdrie through Coatbridge and Bargeddie, so by the time they got to Barlanark they were nearly always full, so we were often late for school. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
Queenslie1957
post 29th Sep 2010, 04:37pm
Post #42

Special Visitor
Member No.: 8,004
The McMillan Family

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
keylock000
post 4th Oct 2010, 09:39pm
Post #43

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,325
QUOTE (Guest @ 14th Aug 2009, 07:43am) *
Catholic estate?

Only going on what I have been told, but I’m happy to be corrected by anyone who grew up there
Regards keylock000

+Quote Post
*Queenslie Wean*
post 14th Oct 2010, 04:20pm
Post #44

Hello folks.

I've updated the wikipedia page on Quenslie (see link below) and would love to hear everyone's thoughts on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queenslie

I grew up in 82 Horndean Crescent and lived there for 20 years and loved the place to bits.....still miss the community to this day.

Still bump into loads of people from Queenslie and the immediate thing that happens is laughter as we think back about the old place. Still a bit confused why they never developed a mix of private and rented houses on the site as it was the ideal place to do so.

If anyone has any photos I'll happilly upload them to the wiki website or add any other relevant info.

All the best
Eddie

+Quote Post
*Jayne Neil*
post 16th Oct 2010, 11:24pm
Post #45

hi to all, i lived at 8 Lonmay Path then 9 Lonmay path right by the triangle where we all played three sticks, kick the can ;two balls in the close etc. i left there about 1975 miss the old place and the neighbours and friends too. there were the Houstons, the Beresfords ,the dollards, the Coynes,the Herguses and many more..... i have fond memories of Queenslie school. Yes i remember the 51 bus!!!! and the paraffin machine !!!!!

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Aug 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.